CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Chief, I workout alone so I lift heavy weights to just before failure. I usually do three different excersices per body part and do 8-10 reps per set. But every couple of weeks I'll use light weight and high, quick reps to build some muscle endurance.

And as for my cardio, I do 90 seconds moderate pace then 30 seconds all out for 15-20 mins.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Basically one exercise per body part per week. How often do you increase the weights at that rate? Or when do you decide to increase the amount of weight you can lift for a particular exercise?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Basically one exercise per body part per week. How often do you increase the weights at that rate? Or when do you decide to increase the amount of weight you can lift for a particular exercise?

Not sure how you can say it's one exercise per body part. When I do back there is upper, lower and lat excersices incorporated into each workout. Different movements and different ranges of motion. But if you mean working on each body part only once a week, then yes, that is what I do.

Regardless, I increase the weight when I can easily complete my three sets without feeling fatigue or feel like I'm approaching failure. It's a slow process sometimes. In just over a year I have increased my bench by 85lbs. Hoping to reach the 200lb mark within the next month or so. Doesn't sound like much, but when you realize where you started from and how out of shape (see weak, I've never had a strong upper body, all my strength came from my legs) I was, I'm pretty impressed with that. Arm curls have increased 35lbs per arm. When I started 20lbs was a chore, but I can now do arm and hammer curls with 55lbs dumbells.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Working on each body part only once a week, then yes, that is what I do is what I meant
    I believe that great gains can be made for someone just starting out but after a while the increase in poundage will slow down considerably well at leat in my case. Tks.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I believe that great gains can be made for someone just starting out but after a while the increase in poundage will slow down considerably well at leat in my case. Tks.

I agree. Increase was kind of slow at first, but then big gains quickly. The gains have slowed again. Still improvements, but not as quick as in the beginning.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    This is an excellent report and most revealing about what could increase our club head speed, (maintaining the angle) and what decreases it (use of the hands/wrists). So many instructors talk about releasing the club but any effort to do so is detrimental.

Putting the club in the right position coming down ("single plane" swing) causes a natural release, maximizing CHS, whereas a swing too upright necessitates the use of the hands/wrists to compensate and square the club face.

The report confirms that anyone using the Bertholy programmes, which were specifically designed to address the maintenance of the wrist kock angle, has a greater chance of increasing distance. Add to that the strengthening of the lead arm and shoulder and you have a simple formula for better ball striking. Of course, the club manufacturers won't like this because they want you to believe that it is their equipment that gives you a better game, not the swing fundamentals.
    This article is great. I can’t see any flaws in his statements. It is so true that hitting the ball with no effort equals better results in regards to length and accuracy. Trying to hit the ball hard with my body and hands is my main demon. Tempo is something I work hard at, trying to hit the ball smoothly without applying any aggressive force. It’s hard to do because when I swing smoothly I feel like I’m not give it all I got. Golf is a game of opposites and it’s hard to grasp the concept even if my best results come from swinging the club smoothly.

IMO hitting the ball long has little to do with strength and a lot to do with flexibility. I’m 5’10 175lbs and hit the ball longer then most do. I do lots of strength training but a few years ago I did the P90X program. I was down to 155lbs and in amazing shape. I was under 10% body fat. I was in the shape of my life. Both situations did not add or subtract length off the tee. My flexibilities did not change and that to me is the key to hitting it long. Flexibility and smooth tempo.

This is in regards to my swing and it may not apply to others but if I look at touring pros, most long hitters are not predominantly strong, have slim statures but are extremely flexible.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Couples is a good example. 50 years old and still pounding it. I wonder how much distance could be achieved if you had a combination of Bo Jackson when he was healthy and Couples. Look out.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big johnny69 View Post
    arm curls have increased 35lbs per arm. When i started 20lbs was a chore, but i can now do arm and hammer curls with 55lbs dumbells.
    jacked!!

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post

I do lots of strength training but a few years ago I did the P90X program. I was down to 155lbs and in amazing shape. I was under 10% body fat. I was in the shape of my life.
    Just curious - how did find the P90X?? I automatically have an aversion to infomercial products, but this seems pretty legit.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Im really curious about the Bertholy excercises now, I see that there are demos on youtube of what seems like every excercise, so I think I might try some of those out. If anyone has the book and wants to sell it let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    Just curious - how did find the P90X?? I automatically have an aversion to infomercial products, but this seems pretty legit.
    P90X is very time consuming. I did it during the off season. I was not able to keep it up with golf and family life. I have two young kids at home and with work I can’t train 1+ hour a day 7 days a week.

That being said, P90X is awesome. It’s on of the best training I did especially if you bulk up during winter and then cut and lean down 90 day before summer time. It’s worth every dime but it’s a monster workout. You must be prepared for it and be extremely motivated.

I also have Insanity Workout and the wife is on that program. Pretty crazy also.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Im really curious about the Bertholy excercises now, I see that there are demos on youtube of what seems like every excercise, so I think I might try some of those out. If anyone has the book and wants to sell it let me know!
    Bertholy is great but very boring. I have the book and did the exercises for a while. I saw some changes but you must stick to the program and not deviate. It’s painful physically and mentally but worth it. Bertholy was ages before his time.

Mike

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I've been playing around with my P3Pro Swing and analyzing my swing speed and distance as well and I've noticed something after reading a little bit on that article posted earlier regarding hitting it further. So what I lacked was a lot of wrist hinge, I didn't hinge nearly as much as I should've been. The second thing I did, to concentrate more on my wrist hinge, was to shorten my backswing. I think I've been over-rotating when I shouldn't have, and all that effort gets me out of sync and I lose power. So I've shortened my backswing so goes up to about 10 oclock (if 9 oclock is parallel to the ground), and hinge my wrists 90 degrees, and then whip through the ball. It makes the swing feel easier for me, more consistent by hitting it crisp more often, and the simulator is showing increased distance as well. Anyways, just wanted to share that little tidbit

Today at VM I witnessed something I have never seen before. My buddy and I were matched up with another 2 some. Anyway one of the guy must have been 5 foot nothing(OK I am exagerating but he did not meausre no more than 5'9 and must have weighted 170 pounds wet. I have never seen a guy that size pound a ball like that. On number 8 from the white tees he was 20 yards from the green. On the old mill hole he was 120 yards from the hole. All day long he kept pounding it 50-60 yards further than the rest of us and straight most of the time. I've been wondering about it all day
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    Hard to say who is right. So many different philosophies out there regarding training and dieting and building muscles

Prisoners have some of the best bodybuilding physiques and train every day. Their diet consist of mostly fatty foods and 3 meals per day and far as I know they do not have access to steroids... and do not want to find out

Speed skaters train everyday and have Olympians thighs and glutes.

Gymnasts also train everyday and have some of the best all around physiques.

Some say you should have 8 small meals a day with at least 250 grams of proteins daily. Yet some vegeterian bodybuilders will follow a different diet ans still achieve excellent results

Very confusing
    it's all abotu what works for you. i started to go to the gym regularly in mid february after seeing my weight hit 275. i carry it very well, but i had a big old gut forming and im almost 65 pounds heavier than where i want to be for a 31 year old guy. now i do alot of core exercise routines on every odd day and just cardio/fat burning stuff on the even days. i eat 6 meals a day and eat alot of fruits/veggies and try to focus on foods with a high concentration of protein and fibre. the fiber helps make you feel more full so you dont overeat as much. im not into wanting to become a bodybuilder so i dont bother with protein shakes, thats a little too far a reach for what i want but i know some guys that do it, but i find just focsuing on higher protein foods is good enough. ive dropped 25 pounds so far but have increased my muscle mass by alot so the fat loss is even more than that. more of an indication ive dropped from a 42 waist to a 38 and counting.

the biggest things i find that help are
    - eat as much organic stuff as possible. additives and preservaties are killers. i dont totally avoid it, but the more you can eliminate the better.
    - cook for yourself. fast food, or even restaurants use copious amounts of sodium to make up for the lack of fats in alot of foods now. more salt is not better than less fat.
    - avoid eating after 7:00 pm
    - eat almonds. one of the best foods in the world. i buy the 1.5 kg bag at costco every 2 weeks. it's full of fiber and protein.
    - avoid drinking beer. i dont drink very much as it is, so it's hardly missed by me.
    - have a training partner. it really helps to have someone to motivate you and keep you interested. i used to feel like the gym and gettign fit was a chore but now it's part of my life and i look forward to it every day.
    - control your portions. super sized everything = bad.

i still have my moments, i find dedicating myself to getting in shape like i do allows some flexibility when i have those nights where pizza and wings come into play (like last night during the hockey game). if i can limit those to once a week or so then im happy and it keeps me happy. i dont feel like im missing out or starving myself.

as for workouts.. check out bodyrock.tv. i do workouts from there, and zuzanna is VERY easy on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post

as for workouts.. check out bodyrock.tv. i do workouts from there, and zuzanna is VERY easy on the eyes.
    nice abs
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bill Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Find a pro and take lessons. Grip, ball position, take away etc. can really make a difference. Then practice, practice, practice.
    and I might add (I did this often) - take a cheap digital voice recorder with you so you can review the things your pro told you. Take notes later to re-inforce the ideas you learned. If your a student of the game; act like a student.

Thread Information