100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge bryanf is on a distinguished road bryanf's Avatar

How to Lower Ball Flight?

Assuming that I have a "normal swing" and want to hit the ball on a low to medium trajectory, what is the proper: ball position for a driver, ball height on a tee for a big head driver, and ball position for a fairway wood?

I realize that this is a complex issue but would like some guidelines to understand the correct theory and then try to make an appropriate change to my swing.

Thanks

Andru
    move the ball back in your stance 4 inches.

tee it lower

hands finish low.

don't release too hard or you'll hook it.

Cheers

beatnik58
    bryanf

Do you "normally" have a high ball flight?

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road

Different shaft...

Use a Graffaloy Blue shaft in your driver. It will definitely lower your ball flight. And I mean definitely!!!

Otherwise, as people said, lower tee, follow through low.

Careful not to snap hook...

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    I've "heard" the above, but I've also "heard" (and better golfers can confirm or deny this statement) that to hit it low in the wind you usually : take a 3/4 swing, and swing easier. I imagine this might apply to normal situations too. Is this accurate? I've always heard this from golf-commentators during the British open.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmania
    I've "heard" the above, but I've also "heard" (and better golfers can confirm or deny this statement) that to hit it low in the wind you usually : take a 3/4 swing, and swing easier. I imagine this might apply to normal situations too. Is this accurate? I've always heard this from golf-commentators during the British open.
    That's true. But a shot into the wind has to stay low and reduce the spin. You're goal fr this shot is to alter the launch angle and reduce the back spin.

If you're playing under normal conditions and the wind isn't a factor. You can still put a nice amount of spin on the ball and give it a full crack. You're just altering the launch conditions.

Pitching Wedge bryanf is on a distinguished road bryanf's Avatar

My Normal Ball Flight

I normally hit my driver with a high launch. I have a 10.5 degree cobra 427 reg shaft driver and launch the ball in a high arc (not a balloon) that drops down and stops with little or no roll. My driver swing speed is 90 - 95 max and I want to get a lower launch with more roll. I currently hit a max of 200 yards with a normal drive at 170- 185. My ball does normally has a fade but even when I hit it straight it still has the same flight pattern.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanf
    I normally hit my driver with a high launch. I have a 10.5 degree cobra 427 reg shaft driver and launch the ball in a high arc (not a balloon) that drops down and stops with little or no roll. My driver swing speed is 90 - 95 max and I want to get a lower launch with more roll. I currently hit a max of 200 yards with a normal drive at 170- 185. My ball does normally has a fade but even when I hit it straight it still has the same flight pattern.
    Go do a launch monitor session instead of guessing. Don't mess with your swing. You can change your shaft and get the results you want.

Don is very good. I had a session and had my driver reshafted. I've never hit it farther.

Artisan Golf Co 215 Terence Matthews Crescent, Kanata (613) 592-0524

Don't guess go get tested. You'll be surprised at the results.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanf
    Bryan, I have virtually the same launch characteristics, except my swing speed is slightly less (88 - 93) and my distance a little more (avg 220, max about 260). I hit all my clubs high, including driver (10* Adams GT363 with TT BiMatrix regular flex shaft). Setup/swing changes sometimes produce lower trajectories for me, but generally produce less consistancy as well. Sometimes I think it is better to work with your natural tendencies than to fight them, so I've been looking at equipment choices that are more appropriate for me. Specifically I've been testing a 9* SMT Shinne with an Aldila NV65 shaft and have definately noticed a lower trajectory.

First of all, the Cobra 427 is designed to hit on a high trajectory, especially a 10.5* loft with the stock regular flex shaft. Great for a lot of golfers, but probably not the right choice for you and me. So I suggest you might want to test out some different driver/shaft combinations and/or consider a clubfitting or launch monitor session. When I went for a clubfitting at Golfworks, the recommendation was 9 - 9.5* driver with a low torque/tip stiff/mid-high kickpoint shaft in regular/firm flex. These characteristics would probably work for you as well, though with your swing speed you might want to test a stiff flex shaft instead of regular.

Loft is more important than shaft characteristics in determining trajectory, so make that your first consideration. Generally speaking though, the lower the loft the less forgiving the head. I've tried some 8* heads and they bring the ball down but I tend to spray them all over the course (I'll be testing this theory again next week with an 8* SMT Nemesis/PF65 combo though). I would try 9* or 9.5* first.

Some shaft options would be the Graffaloy Blue (recommend regular flex for this one) or ProLite 35, TT BiMatrix Rxi or EI70 II, Aldila One Low Launch or NV65, UST Proforce 65, Harrison Pro 2.5 Low Launch, SK Fibre Revolution I, Accuflex Icon V.2 or VS339 or Harmon CB70. Check the Golfworks web site/catalog for specs and prices - in fact they have LOTS of drivers with these shafts available for demo at their Industrial Avenue location.

Hope this info was useful, and good luck!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=el tigre]Some shaft options would be the Graffaloy Blue (recommend regular flex for this one) or ProLite 35, TT BiMatrix Rxi or EI70 II, Aldila One Low Launch or NV65, UST Proforce 65, Harrison Pro 2.5 Low Launch, SK Fibre Revolution I, Accuflex Icon V.2 or VS339 or Harmon CB70. Check the Golfworks web site/catalog for specs and prices - in fact they have LOTS of drivers with these shafts available for demo at their Industrial Avenue location.[QUOTE]

The SMT Nemesis is a beautiful head that plays to its listed loft, unlike the SMT 455 Deep Bore, for example, that plays .75 degrees higher than than it says.

The SK Fiber Lite Revolution I will lower the ball flight, however, it is not available at Golfworks, but is available from Golfquip. Swing Sync sells them as well, but they are much more expensive than Golfquip.

After having a Lite Revolution in my Deep Bore, I switched to the Accuflex VS339 "S" flex, that you mention above. The tip must be softer than most as it actually raised the ball flight a little, but it provides wonderful feel and looks, with the burgundy coloured 455.

Thread Information