CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar

What is the role of the RCGA and the rules?

Some clarification from you much better versed rules people than me please.

Can someone please explain to me what role the RCGA (or Golf Canada) actually plays in establishing the rules of golf.

I am often reading that tournament play will be "governed by the RCGA Rules of golf" (that taken from the Ottawa Citizen Amateur Championship entry form).

It is my understanding that the RCGA plays no role in establishing the rules of Golf. The R&A and the USGA establish the rules jointly and the R&A is responsible for the rules of golf everywhere in the world except for US and Mexico where the USGA is responsible.

I thought the role of RCGA was to publish the rules (along with other obvious duties involved with promoting the game in Canada).

So why do people keep saying "governed by the RCGA Rules of golf"? Why don't they just say "governed by THE rules of Golf"....or am I missing something, are the RCGA rules different from the R&A/USGA rules?

Please enlighten...but be gentle and remember I jam just recently trying to learn this stuff

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The RCGA (now called Golf Canada) is the "Governing Body" for the Rules of Golf in Canada so as such they are responsible for the publication and administration of the Rules.

The actual Rules are defined jointly by the USGA and the R&A.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The RCGA (now called Golf Canada) is the "Governing Body" for the Rules of Golf in Canada so as such they are responsible for the publication and administration of the Rules.

They are in fact the only National organisation invited to send a representative to meetings of the Joint Rules Committee.
    Last edited by AAA; 04-23-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

The RCGA will still be responsible for rules, handicapping, course ratings in Canada and a connection with the two ruling bodies, plus it will be the organization's legal name, while Golf Canada will look after most everything else.

Of particular interest is the national "Golf in Schools" programme, led by Golf Quebec. Golf club members often question the paying of the $25 annual fee to Golf Canada and exposing kids at a young age to golf, is one area where our fees are successfully used to advance the game.

Thread Information