CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    And here is the round 3 statistical analysis. These are the numbers for the players who played all three rounds.

Full field scoring average:
    Eagle Creek: 79.5
    Loch March: 78.6
    Kanata Lakes: 81.6

Top half scoring average:
    Eagle Creek: 77.1
    Loch March: 76.9
    Kanata Lakes: 77.9

Bottom half scoring average:
    Eagle Creek: 81.8
    Loch March: 80.3
    Kanata Lakes: 85.3

Today was the first day where the conditions could be considered less than ideal since it was pretty windy starting at about 11 AM.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    First, let me say congratulations to John on making the final cut. Enjoy the final round... I'm envious!

I'm really surprised by the large difference in the bottom half scoring average at KL. Particularly since the lower half of the field started earlier and would (presumably) have had the easier scoring conditions. Any thoughts about the deviation?

I wouldn't exactly call the scoring conditions we had at Eagle Creek ideal... They were far from terrible but the wind came on pretty strong for several holes in the middle of my round.

For the bottom half scores my guess is that once some guys figured they wouldn't make the cut they stopped grinding.

BlueMan
    The only problem with this tournament is that it is spanned over too long of a time period. And the fact that all the rounds are on random weekdays doesn't help either. It is a strong field but not a very deep one, especially if 84-82 will make the cut. Regardless of the conditions or courses you played if that's the cut the tournament needs to find a way to attract a deeper field. Maybe if the rounds were all on weekends so all the full time workers can play without having to take a day off every week for a month haha!!

The weekday schedule is a problem but that is true of pretty much all the competitive tournaments except for inter-sectionals.

BlueMan
    True, but if your going to the Ontario or Quebec Amateur, Alexander of Tunis, Duke of Kent or Spring Open (if You Qualify) your playing for a differential on the provincial ladder or order of merit points which qualify you for bigger and better events. The Citizen is just an event that people play for fun (which is fine) but if they want to become a bigger and better tournament there needs to be a better incentive other then playing amazing golf courses on weekdays!!

Those tournaments draw from a much larger group of golfers so it's not unexpected to get a stronger field.

The Citizen usually doesn't have a hard time filling the field, and for most of us it's our only real chance to play in a full on stroke play event.

BlueMan
    Of course. The tournament is great, with the way it is put on and the courses they play it is a first class event. Just in my opinion if they want a better field they have some things to improve on. Such as the long time period the event takes to complete or the weekday time slot....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Congratulations John in making the cut. At least I didn't have to make any rulings in your group. In the half that started on the back nine I couldn't belief the number of guys that got into trouble on a couple of holes. On #14 there had to be more than a couple dozen lost balls or unplayables.

#14 always plays tough and the wind didn't help today.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Those tournaments draw from a much larger group of golfers so it's not unexpected to get a stronger field.

The Citizen usually doesn't have a hard time filling the field, and for most of us it's our only real chance to play in a full on stroke play event.

The fact the events draw from a larger group is noted, and you are right in the second part of your statement about players in the event for their only real chance to play in a stroke play event. The field at the Citizen is made up of 70% of the players that play the OVGA events (including me) and some that play the Golf Quebec events.Remember the Tunis is played on a Sunday-Monday, The Kent is the following Friday-Saturday, and the Quebec Amateur is Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. OVGA City and Districts are a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Courses generally do not want to give up there courses on their money making days (weekends) for any tournaments. Can't blame them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Great job on making it to the final round John. See how far a simple game plan can go!!! Good luck in round 4, hope you move up a few rungs on the ladder.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Just walked over to catch a bit of the action. McGee's even for the day (and the tournament). Reinhart is gaining ground... -2 for the day and +5 overall.

It's EXTREMELY windy. I watched a few shots at #8 (the short par 3 closest to the hotel... over the water). The pin is WAY back right and the wind is coming into and from the right. I'm almost glad I'm not playing today.

Round 4 in the books. Like mjf said, it was very windy out there today.

I managed an 81. Birdied my first hole of the day (#10) and didn't make another putt over 6 feet for the rest of the round. 34 putts total for me. I actually hit the ball pretty well from tee to green.

The greens were very fast today as well so there was a lot of defensive putting. I'll be curious what today's scores are like.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Round 4 in the books. Like mjf said, it was very windy out there today.

I managed an 81. Birdied my first hole of the day (#10) and didn't make another putt over 6 feet for the rest of the round. 34 putts total for me. I actually hit the ball pretty well from tee to green.

The greens were very fast today as well so there was a lot of defensive putting. I'll be curious what today's scores are like.
    you the man John, great job shooting 4 very solid rounds at 4 very tough courses, can't imagine what your goals for next year will be, wish I had the mental game to do what you just did.

Thanks.

As far as next year, I figure I need to try and shoot 4 rounds in the 70's. I could have done that this year so I just need to improve the iron play a little.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Scores are up. I wanted to see how people were moving up or down the leaderboard, and it looks like there were only a few guys who maintained or improved their position after all the rounds. Koski was never closer than 4 strokes from the daily best score, but steady play in the mid to high 70's let him better his position every day, while some who were in the top 10 after day one, slipped higher up for most of the following rounds.

Good work John.

Attached Images
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

And here are the scoring breakdowns for the players who made the final round.

Eagle Creek: 77.0
    Loch March: 77.4
    Kanata Lakes: 77.6
    Marshes: 82.0

Eagle Creek: 76.0
    Loch March: 75.5
    Kanata Lakes: 76.6
    Marshes: 79.0

Eagle Creek: 78.3
    Loch March: 79.7
    Kanata Lakes: 79.0
    Marshes: 85.7

The wind really made a big difference in the scoring yesterday. Not only was judging club hard to do but the greens and surrounding areas were quite firm so getting the ball close from the fairway was pretty tough.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Geez the scores were pretty high for the whole tournament. Was the field weak? I noticed Bussieres was not in the field...were others not there as well?

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Congratulations John. This is quite an accomplishment and you should be proud of it.
    And here are the scoring breakdowns for the players who made the final round.

Eagle Creek: 77.0
    Loch March: 77.4
    Kanata Lakes: 77.6
    Marshes: 82.0

Eagle Creek: 76.0
    Loch March: 75.5
    Kanata Lakes: 76.6
    Marshes: 79.0

Eagle Creek: 78.3
    Loch March: 79.7
    Kanata Lakes: 79.0
    Marshes: 85.7

The wind really made a big difference in the scoring yesterday. Not only was judging club hard to do but the greens and surrounding areas were quite firm so getting the ball close from the fairway was pretty tough.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Geez the scores were pretty high for the whole tournament. Was the field weak? I noticed Bussieres was not in the field...were others not there as well?
    Bussieres was playing somewhere else.

As for the field being weak, all the usual suspects were there. If you think it's easy, tee it up next year and see how you do.

Weekend golf and tournament golf are VERY different.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Well done John. I agree that it was not a weak field. The conditions of the last two rounds were very difficult with big time wind. When we set the pin positions we never know what the wind will be and there were a few yesterday that had to be difficult to get to due to the wind. We actually moved a couple of tees up a bit as they were long enough without the headwind. I saw lots of trouble on holes #2 & #4.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    bussieres was playing somewhere else.

As for the field being weak, all the usual suspects were there. If you think it's easy, tee it up next year and see how you do.

Weekend golf and tournament golf are very different.
    +1

7 Iron WillyC is on a distinguished road
    Wow, congratulations John!

When I see guys posting four rounds in the 70's I don't think of the field as weak.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    As for the field being weak, all the usual suspects were there. If you think it's easy, tee it up next year and see how you do

That's not possible.

Weekend golf and tournament golf are VERY different
    I am well aware of this fact.

Congrats on meeting your goal, btw.

Thanks. Didn't mean to come off as snippy BTW.

As someone who was puzzled by some of the high scores in the Citizen before I entered it's pretty easy now to see how it happens. My back to back 9's at Kanata last year (+10 on two holes) were a good example of that.

I still question the guy who shot 119-121 though.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Thanks. Didn't mean to come off as snippy BTW.

I still question the guy who shot 119-121 though.
    How would you like to be paired with that guy in the first 2 rounds? It would drive me nuts and throw me off my game; i pitty the 3 other players who had to play with him.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Nicely done John! It was a treat to follow your progress throughout the tournament and was rooting for you as a fellow OG'er.

I'm not sure of the previous play in your career, but this is a fine feather in your cap regardless.

Lob Wedge greenvale is on a distinguished road

How good these guys are

I'm amazed how good Mcgee,Reinhart and Bernard are! These 3 are not young and they have always been the top players in Ottawa. Look at the numbers they shot regardless of the weather. Mcgee shots 69 at Loch March when guys are barely making par. Reinhart and Bernard were under par all day at the Marshes with a 30 mile ahour wind. I was fallowing Mcgee and Reinhart on the back and watch Bernard eagle 14 in to the wind. They can make par from any place.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvincent
    As for the field being weak, all the usual suspects were there. If you think it's easy, tee it up next year and see how you do

That's not possible.

Just noticed this reply for the first time. Is it because you are a CPGA pro?

Quote:
    Weekend golf and tournament golf are VERY different

I am well aware of this fact.

Congrats on meeting your goal, btw.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information