CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wow an 8 cap at 47 over par? WTF?
    Maybe he really didn't want to play, and this is his way of never getting back into the tourny again.

I know it's not good gamesmanship but I would have thrown my bag in a water hazard and walked straight to my car before I posted a 119 with an 8 cap.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I'm going to play in this next year, I know I won't be posting a 119 so how bad could it be?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Some people just crumble under the pressure.

In the second round two years ago I played with a guy who shot 125 (IIRC) in the first round. In the second round at Rivermead he posted a fairly decent 83 (agin IIRC) and struck the ball pretty well. I asked him what happened in the first round and he said that he had a case of the shanks and could not shake it. He said he even considered using putter off the tee/fairway it was so bad.

So, it can happen to a decent player and you have to admire them for sticking it out and posting the score for all to see. The hard part would be for the other players in the group trying to keep their concentration while the carnage is unfolding around them.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Barry Nesrallah used to be one of the top players in the region and he shot 97. People get older, stuff happens... there are all kinds of reasons for posting a big number.

Sand Wedge hacker1 is on a distinguished road

i agree

if you played early- you were subject to all types of weather
    the little rain the stronge wind for a few holes- and the good weather for most of the holes
    so it would be easly to get off track especially under tourny conditions
    in my group one of the players in our group went 11 over in 3 holes
    to his credit he did come back somewhat- but given the speed of the greens
    and some of the pin placements ( only 1 birdie in our group- not really anything to brag about)- if your nerves got to you- its hard to make any kind of recovery from a few bad holes

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    I've only been able to play EC twice in my lifetime (once from the tips (91 lol)), but man.. what a treat it was. Those greens are slick.

I was wondering as far as valid handicaps go, are you able to use the Ottawa Golf number when submitting your entry form?

Great playing guys and good luck in Round 2!
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Maybe he really didn't want to play, and this is his way of never getting back into the tourny again.

I know it's not good gamesmanship but I would have thrown my bag in a water hazard and walked straight to my car before I posted a 119 with an 8 cap.
    who's kidding who, you would have gone to the bar.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Well done John saw your name in the ottawa sun with the last spot on their grid, 78 i believe very impressive, i think u were the only local amateur on the top 10-15 on the list, join a club already.

I hope I can keep the same mojo for round #2.

Sand Wedge ping66 is on a distinguished road

Ottawa Citizen RD 2, Loch March

So, round to is about to tee off in 14 hours. Are you all prepared? What do you think the 2 day cut will be 155-156?

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Well given that the cut is usually at low 70/72 and ties, and T69 is 84, I'm guessing it's going to be a little higher than that....more like 165-166. Loch March should yield even higher scores than EC in my opinion.

I'm with Garth on this one.

I've got a spreadsheet going with the scoring stats for round 1 and will update it with the round 2 scores in the other Citizen thread.

The weather looks good for tomorrow assuming there are no thunderstorms to dodge so there will be no weather related reasons for higher scoring.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Now THIS is the kind of golf I would watch if it was on TV. I'd especially love to watch coverage of hole #12. Such a hard hole.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Am I prepared? Well, I just got back from a practice round at Loch March so if I'm not ready now I never will be!

My iron play and putting are in fine form and my chipping is good as well... although the rough around the greens is pretty juicy so there's always a little "hit and hope" going on. As usual, my score will likely depend on how well I hit it off the tee or how lucky I get with the bad ones I almost inevitably will hit.

From what I heard on the radio, the forecast is for 70% chance of rain and fairly breezy. If the weather conditions are in any way challenging, I think 168 safely makes the cut. I agree with Garth and jvincent, I suspect the scores will be at least as high at LM tomorrow as they were at Eagle Creek... if not higher.

As for which hole I'd choose to watch? I'm thinking #7 or #13 (par 3's over water) would make for interesting viewing.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    How did everyone do?

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Loch March... a 'thumbs up course'

As a rookie playing in the Citizen it was a pleasure to may Loch March this morning. The greens very rolling very true and fast, yet very responsive. I spun a couple off the greens from a 100 yards.
    Regardless of the score it was a great experience to play in a big tournament.
    I managed to shoot a 85 today, which will not make the cut as I shot 89 previously at Eagle Creek. Not sure what the cut was but looking at the scores posted early it looks like people shot about the same as round 1. I wasn't able to get a practice round in so it was the first time playing Loch March. I started double, bogey, double, then managed to birdie 3 in a row (#7, 8, and 9) and in for 40. The back nine is where I needed to know the course like #12. Hit a perfect drive down the middle but went through the fairway. The rough was punishing and and ended up with 7. No wonder it is the second hardest on the course, but should be thee hardest. Again I loved the feeling of playing in tournament and puts your mental game in persecptive. Good luck to all who made the cut!
    Bite, Bite!

I so want to play in this tournament next year

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I so want to play in this tournament next year
    Im definitely playing in this next year, any requirements?

From what I think I read before, you need a minimum of an 8 handicap. Do you have to be a member at a golf course as well?

requirements..

You need an index of 8 or less, but I know there were people with an index of higher than 8 as they wanted to fill up the tourney. I got in with an index of about 7.5 at the time. If people shot there index the first 2 rounds they would make the cut, but it's tournament play and people perhaps on average shoot 5 more or so..
    Bite, Bite!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    #12 claims another victim.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    You need an index of 8 or less, but I know there were people with an index of higher than 8 as they wanted to fill up the tourney. I got in with an index of about 7.5 at the time. If people shot there index the first 2 rounds they would make the cut, but it's tournament play and people perhaps on average shoot 5 more or so..
    sweet good to know, obviously wouldnt win with a 6.9 handicap, but the experience would be pretty cool, you learn alot about your game in those types of events.

I had to go google satellite the course to remember which hole was #12, but now I remember. If I got it right, its that long par 4 that dog legs to the right with water to the left of green right? Yea that ones tough hole at least for me not being too long off the tee.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I had to go google satellite the course to remember which hole was #12, but now I remember. If I got it right, its that long par 4 that dog legs to the right with water to the left of green right? Yea that ones tough hole at least for me not being too long off the tee.
    winds always in your face for a minimum 170yd shot into a narrow green with bunkers on both sides, what a great hole, #1 as to be the toughest starting hole in the city.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Round 2 is in the books for me and I think I'll be trunk-slamming.

I played extremely well today and was on pace to shoot 78... until a !@#$#@! TEN on my 3rd last hole #7 (a par 3). I ended up with an 85.

Aside from that one hole, I'm pleased with how I played the remainder of the round. I think I had 10 GIRs and hit a lot of really good tee shots.

Before the round, I would have predicted my two round total of 167 would have made the cut. But scoring conditions were pretty much ideal and I suspect I'll miss by one or maybe two shots based on the scores I saw posted. There's still faint hope...

Despite the end result, it was a a really enjoyable round. My FCs were great to play with and both had good rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    winds always in your face for a minimum 170yd shot into a narrow green with bunkers on both sides, what a great hole, #1 as to be the toughest starting hole in the city.
    That is # 12 a long dogleg right hole. The perfect shot would be a cut, or drive over the trees to be in scoring range. I hit a draw about over the 150 yard stake but since it the hole turns right I hit through the fairway and was in the left rough sitting deep in 'spongy rough'. Should of hit an L wedge out of the rough and try to get up and down for par. It's a good challenging hole. But the safe play is not to get greedy off the tee and expect a long appoach from fairway.
    Bite, Bite!

Just to keep things tidy, I'll post my results in the main Citizen thread.

Mods, you might consider merging the two threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Just to keep things tidy, I'll post my results in the main Citizen thread.

Mods, you might consider merging the two threads.
    geeez thanks for the tease John.

Round 2 in the books for me and I am pleased to say I will be making the cut this year. Yeah!

Shot an 82 today. Could easily have been lower if I had made any putts. On a positive note I did not three (or four) putt any greens today.

Two bad holes for me. Made a double on #16 (started on the back) after I fatted a 6i about 30 yards short of the pin in the front bunker. Barely got out, chip and two putts. Then on #7 I hit my tee shot in the back bunker and tried to get cute with my second and thinned it into the water. Played my fourth from the same bunker and hit it to about 7 feet. Missed that and tapped in for a triple bogey six.

My key today was keeping the ball in play. I made no real mistakes off the tee although gbower will tell you that I have a horseshoe crammed way up there after the bounce my tee shot on #15 took.

Funniest hole of the day was #6 (par 5). Slightly popped up my tee shot. Tried to lay up with a 3H and fatted it by about two inches and put it in the small hazard that crosses the fairway. The ball was sitting up in the hazard so I played it out of there to the left rough. I hit a LW and pulled it about 15 yards left. I yelled for it to hit the hill, which it did, and we saw it bounce toward the flag. Then all of a sudden we here a loud "CLANG" from my ball hitting the flag. Get to the green and lo and behold, my ball is in the hole. As good misses go, that was a good one. Only birdie of the day for me too.

My two FCs were both pretty good. They were blowing it past me by about 30 yards off the tee with driver.

Looking forward to round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Round 2 in the books for me and I am pleased to say I will be making the cut this year. Yeah!

Shot an 82 today. Could easily have been lower if I had made any putts. On a positive note I did not three (or four) putt any greens today.

Two bad holes for me. Made a double on #16 (started on the back) after I fatted a 6i about 30 yards short of the pin in the front bunker. Barely got out, chip and two putts. Then on #7 I hit my tee shot in the back bunker and tried to get cute with my second and thinned it into the water. Played my fourth from the same bunker and hit it to about 7 feet. Missed that and tapped in for a triple bogey six.

My key today was keeping the ball in play. I made no real mistakes off the tee although gbower will tell you that I have a horseshoe crammed way up there after the bounce my tee shot on #15 took.

Funniest hole of the day was #6 (par 5). Slightly popped up my tee shot. Tried to lay up with a 3H and fatted it by about two inches and put it in the small hazard that crosses the fairway. The ball was sitting up in the hazard so I played it out of there to the left rough. I hit a LW and pulled it about 15 yards left. I yelled for it to hit the hill, which it did, and we saw it bounce toward the flag. Then all of a sudden we here a loud "CLANG" from my ball hitting the flag. Get to the green and lo and behold, my ball is in the hole. As good misses go, that was a good one. Only birdie of the day for me too.

My two FCs were both pretty good. They were blowing it past me by about 30 yards off the tee with driver.

Looking forward to round 3.
    well done Sir, must be a good feeling, Im jealous, where's the last round?

Thread Information