CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bethpage Black

Pitching Wedge duhast is on a distinguished road

Bethpage Black

Me and a couple buddies were thinking of driving down to long island to play bethpage black, has anyone done this that can give a hint as to the best way to go about getting on the course??

Sand Wedge bulldogger75 is on a distinguished road
    I've watched a show on tv where guys camp out in rv's for a couple days to be able to get a tee off. Actually, I also remember a couple guys sleeping in their cars. From what I remember, there's no tee times. It's all based on a first come, first serve basis. Would for sure be a cool road trip. It would suck though if you camped out for a couple days, then when your turn came, thunderstorms started to break out.

Take care,

Jason

Gap Wedge allen is on a distinguished road

Bethpage Black

I made the trek with a buddy back in Aug 2008. We were extremely lucky and managed to get a Friday 3:30 tee-time and a Saturday 1:30 tee time. You and all the guys you are going with should contact Bethpage State Park and register in their system. This will allow you to book 48 hours in advance. I found out from a local when I was there that each registrant is allowed 1 tee-time per month and I think this is why we were so lucky getting 2 times. It is truely and experience of a life time and you won't regret it. You will appreciate what the pros had to endure during the US Open.

Check this out.
    http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/c...age-black-1979
    Go For It!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have been twice, the first time I played with a local resident and he booked the tee time.

The second time Geoff and I left Ottawa at 6AM and got to the course just after 2PM. It was a weekday and there was a free twosome at 3PM IIRC so we took it. Finished in the dark at around 8PM. Expect long rounds on the Black.

If you are more than a twosome and are playing on the weekend expect to sleep in your car unless you can get through the phone system. I am not sure if you can register as a Canadian because the online signup requires a US Social Security number. Calling the course and getting added to the system is the best bet.

If you do go the sleeping route, you will need to be in the lot by 9PM or just a little later to get a decent spot.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

BlueMan
    How tough was the course??

It is by far the hardest course I have ever played, and I have a bunch of tough ones on my list.

If you do not bring your A game, expect a long day.

Gap Wedge allen is on a distinguished road

Bethpage Black

The course is unbelieveably long from the back tees. Think of standing on most tees and having to carry the ball 240 - 250 yards to vary narrow fairways. You can drive to safe areas but your approach shots will be over 200 yards. Don't look at the score card and think a hole is easy simply because it is only a 420 par 4 because it will typically play much longer. If you miss the fairway off the tee you may as well layup to a yardage you feel comfortable with because you will not be able to get the ball on the green. If you can hit the greens though they are fairly easy.
    Go For It!

Unbelievably long is a good description. Check out my photo album from my trip in 2008. I took a picture from each tee box and what I was looking at for the approach shot.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jevincentjr/Bethpage2008#

The 231 yard marker is where my tee shot came to rest on #16. I took a drop an nailed a 4W onto the green and made par.

The ball in the rough on #6 gives you an idea of what missing the fairway is like and that was early in the season.

The two US Opens there have been easy in one sense in that the fairways were soft and balls that hit the fairway would stay in. I had a lot that hit the fairway and bounced out.

Lots of full wedge 3rd shots into par 4s at the Black.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Must be something you have to play to understand because it doesn't look that bad from the pictures. Would love to go down and give it a go.

The camera definitely shortens things.

I'm not super long but longer than most and can handle 7000 yards no problem. IIRC I shot a 91 and the tees we played were ~7300 yards. I was around a 7-8 index at the time. It was early in the season though.

The problem with a course that long is that any shot that misses the fairway and doesn't get a perfect lie in the rough is dead. You need tour level clubhead speed to get through the grass and get the ball onto the green from 180 yards out if it sitting down.

The other thing to note is that it is very well bunkered both in quantity and location.

BlueMan
    Pics look spectacular. Looking forward to heading up there with duhast to see how low we can go!!

9 Iron ZachOly is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Must be something you have to play to understand because it doesn't look that bad from the pictures. Would love to go down and give it a go.
    Agreed. Even the rough doesn't seem that bad.

Fairways seem relatively flat too.

Pitching Wedge duhast is on a distinguished road
    looks unreal, umm how long did it take to play the round there?

It takes a long time. Everyone wants to play the blue or black tees for the experience and it's a long tough course. Usually takes 5 hours or more.

In case you weren't aware, there are no carts either.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachOly View Post
    Agreed. Even the rough doesn't seem that bad.

Fairways seem relatively flat too.
    Thats the 2 d effect of those pictures that it seems flat. The course is very hilly, and considered by many to be one of the most difficult courses in the world.
    jvincent has an impressive list of tough courses he's played, and black sits at the top of that list.
    wasn't it about the black course that tiger famously said "a 10 handicap couldn't break 100 here"?
    Andrew

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I have no doubt that it is tough but in my mind I was thinking that it would look different, not sure what but more trouble spots. It looks like a beefed up Stonebridge (post remodel), which is a tough course so I imagine the black must be punishing if you are having an off day.

You are right to a certain degree. Imagine Stonebridge 800 yards longer. That's almost 50 yards per hole.

Factor in the well placed trouble and you've got a monster.

Hybrid chris_woods is on a distinguished road chris_woods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Thats the 2 d effect of those pictures that it seems flat. The course is very hilly, and considered by many to be one of the most difficult courses in the world.
    jvincent has an impressive list of tough courses he's played, and black sits at the top of that list.
    wasn't it about the black course that tiger famously said "a 10 handicap couldn't break 100 here"?
    I think Tiger was talking about torrey pines then, but not possitive.

Nope, it was Bethpage. Torrey was where they held the first of the Golf Digest contests.

I've also played Torrey Pines (and Pinehurst #2) and Bethpage is by far the hardest of the three. Not even close IMHO.

I just might have to suck it up and pay full rate for Pebble Beach since I've played all of the other public US Open venues now.

Sand Wedge bulldogger75 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Nope, it was Bethpage. Torrey was where they held the first of the Golf Digest contests.

I've also played Torrey Pines (and Pinehurst #2) and Bethpage is by far the hardest of the three. Not even close IMHO.

I just might have to suck it up and pay full rate for Pebble Beach since I've played all of the other public US Open venues now.
    Actually was just reading this month's Golf Digest, and it says Tiger made that comment in 2007 about Oakmont.

Jason

I stand corrected. I knew it wasn't Torrey though.

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    You should read Open by John Feinstein, especially if you've played there, it's about the 2002 US Open at Bethpage. A great read as are his other golf books.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I am not sure if you can register as a Canadian because the online signup requires a US Social Security number. Calling the course and getting added to the system is the best bet.

I signed up last week. Used my canadian address and ont drivers license but made up a SSN, no way I'd give them the real thing anyways. The only reason for the SSN is to create a unique acct number in their system. Faxed in the info and 2 days later I was in the system. I have 48 hr booking privileges.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Good to know.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Awesome pics...looks like quite the place.

Like others have said it doesn't look all that challenging but I've seen what the course has done to the best in the world and I know that is just the camera illusion effect.

From those photos it looks like you have a good chance to lose a lot of balls in the rough if you don't have a laser beam on where you landed.

Maybe some day...

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    The pictures look amazing.
    I am reading The Open by John Feinstein right now actually, very good, lots of information and background about the The Open and The Black.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Arrt
    Unbelievably long is a good description. Check out my photo album from my trip in 2008. I took a picture from each tee box and what I was looking at for the approach shot.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jevincentjr/Bethpage2008#

The 231 yard marker is where my tee shot came to rest on #16. I took a drop an nailed a 4W onto the green and made par.

The ball in the rough on #6 gives you an idea of what missing the fairway is like and that was early in the season.

The two US Opens there have been easy in one sense in that the fairways were soft and balls that hit the fairway would stay in. I had a lot that hit the fairway and bounced out.

Lots of full wedge 3rd shots into par 4s at the Black.
    What month was this? You're wearing shorts, but there's no leaves on the trees.

It was end of April.

Arrt
    Hmm, I always thought that area would be crazy cold then.

It's Long Island so they are quite a bit south of us.

The Black and Red courses close for the winter (Nov - Mid April) but the others are apparently open all year round, weather permitting.

Thread Information