CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Davis calls penalty on himself in playoff to give Furyk the Verizon Heritage

Brian Davis couldn't deny what he saw and knew he was honour-bound to tell the world.

More...

Sand Wedge ViciousEgo is on a distinguished road ViciousEgo's Avatar
    How very Bobby Jones of him. Better he tell them I guess, still not a bad payday but it would have been nice for him to win the event.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    pretty cool. any chance a soccer player would do such a thing? i'm talking to you Thierry Henry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...10/8464797.stm
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Very honorable but why in the world would he not just take the drop and force Furyk to make the putt. The announcers said he had a good chance to make the chip. Too many risks in that hazard.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Too bad for Davis, but good for the game of golf.
    He did the right thing and sucked it up, rather just pretending it didn't happen, and go Wie, Wie, Wie all the way home.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Too bad for Davis, but good for the game of golf.
    He did the right thing and sucked it up, rather just pretending it didn't happen, and go Wie, Wie, Wie all the way home.

HAHAHAHA! That's funny, you used "Wie" instead of "Wee".
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    HAHAHAHA! That's funny, you used "Wie" instead of "Wee".
    Not much gets past you Johnston...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Not much gets past you Johnston...

Unfortunately comedy just doesn't have the same effect over the internet when you are lacking tone and delivery.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Question:
    There have been times in recent history when during tournament play, a golfer is seen by someone watching on tv, commitee a penelty, but being unaware have carried on and upon video review have been dq'd from the tournament. In this case, being an extra hole playoff, what would have happened if he had not notice or come forward, finished the hole and signed his card. Upon further review, would he have been disqualified from the entire tournament, or would he just forfeit the extra hole play-off and retain his second place finish after the 72 holes? Would he have signed his card for yesterday's 18 hole round before the playoff began? Does that matter?

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    Do a reality check guys...
    He hit it on the beach ... the 2 strokes is a red herring.
    Furyk had already won (almost) before Davis tried the sand shot.
    He had a chance to fluke a 3 or take the drop and probably score 5.
    He gave himself the best opportunity to Win the tournament.
    Took big gonades to try the shot. More power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post
    Do a reality check guys...
    He hit it on the beach ... the 2 strokes is a red herring.
    Furyk had already won (almost) before Davis tried the sand shot.
    He had a chance to fluke a 3 or take the drop and probably score 5.
    He gave himself the best opportunity to Win the tournament.
    Took big gonades to try the shot. More power to him.
    ?- My understanding is that withouth the penalty, he has a chance to get up and down for par. If Furyk two putts, they are off to the next hole. The penalty in this case is quite large and perhaps cost him his first win. Maybe I'm missing something, but not sure what the red herring is in this case.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    Question:
    There have been times in recent history when during tournament play, a golfer is seen by someone watching on tv, commitee a penelty, but being unaware have carried on and upon video review have been dq'd from the tournament. In this case, being an extra hole playoff, what would have happened if he had not notice or come forward, finished the hole and signed his card. Upon further review, would he have been disqualified from the entire tournament, or would he just forfeit the extra hole play-off and retain his second place finish after the 72 holes? Would he have signed his card for yesterday's 18 hole round before the playoff began? Does that matter?
    There are no scorecards used in a playoff because it's a hole-by-hole exercise. Providing he signed and returned a correct score card after regulation, regardless of what happened in the playoff, he would still retain his status after 72 holes and earn 2nd place money.

Before any playoff can begin, the players must sign and return correct scorecards to the tournament officials to verify.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    There are no scorecards used in a playoff because it's a hole-by-hole exercise. Providing he signed and returned a correct score card after regulation, regardless of what happened in the playoff, he would still retain his status after 72 holes and earn 2nd place money.

Before any playoff can begin, the players must sign and return correct scorecards to the tournament officials to verify.
    That is what I assumed, and that being said, in my opinion makes it even more honourable of him to bring forward the penalty. If he did not, he wasn't even risking being disqualified if he got caught. Looks good on the game, and great on him. The kind of story the PGA desperately needed.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I thought he should have taken the drop, Furyk was lying 3 and Davis would have been lying 4 but with a much better chance of making the shot. If he makes it or if he misses then Furyk needs to make the putt and thats pressure.

Furyk makes the putt and wins or he misses and its playoff again. No need for a reality check Dmartin, even his caddie suggested he take the drop after looking at the lie in the hazard.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    He did what he thought was best for him.He knew he could pull it off.Its just bad luck.Good for him on beeing honest.That will reward him more in the long run.

Thread Information