100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

using my iphone as my golf gps.. options?

what is the best route to go? all my rounds will be played in ottawa this year
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    golfcard
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

will it give me a fly over like the callaway upro?
    willy

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Just switched from an SG5 to http://www.golflogix.com/ on my iphone. Have yet to play my first round with it, but so far I like the interface. I have some concern over the battery life and will likely get an external battery such as http://richardsolo.com/backupbatteryforiphoneipod.aspx.
    ________
    Plymouth gran fury
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:59 AM.

GW, i think ud be better of this something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the one you are looking at is very much like the old ipod FM transmitters... with two devices of that size and weight to only be connected by a small piece of metal makes for a flimsy connection.

The person selling this on ebay has sold to 3 of my friends and neither pay more than $15 shipped (free shipping).

since your iphone sits in this case it doesn't add to the length of the iphone and can easily be put in your pocket

i trust my man rez, if just downloaded the golfcard app. if the one you mentioned is better i will make rez give me my $10
    willy

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Depe,

It does not give you fly over. It does use google maps to show you the hole. You can map your own, on the fly, or use their desktop app to map the course using google maps (then upload) or if someone else has uploaded it, you can download it.

In addition, it is the best scorecard I have seen and used and keeps tracks of all your stats. All of your stats can then be uploaded to www.oobgolf.com where you can see extremely detailed stat package, along with graph, your updated HDCP and more.

Just ask Gropper, Andy4par, Hacker, etc. what they think of it.
    Last edited by rezadue; 04-13-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Awsome app....so easy even Reza can use it!

if he can use it anyone can
    willy

6 Iron Biffster26 is on a distinguished road Biffster26's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me what other costs are involved with using a smartphone i.e what kind of dataplan is req'd? gps access fee? and cost for the app. Just trying to compare to my skycaddie

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I tried to use my iPhone as a GPS before but I found that it wasn't that accurate, and also took awhile to sync back up with the satellites. So I'd sit there waiting by my ball for a bit before it refreshed, good thing there weren't any golfers behind me waiting too long. This was last year, I'm wondering if its gotten better nowadays (better apps or maybe better updates from the iPhone itself?)

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I love Scorecard for the iphone......I don't use it as a gps but as a score card Reza nailed it, best I've ever seen!!

As for a Callaway uPro, how come you haven't offered to buy mine yet??

cause i still have the pics of wht you did to bobs bag before you sold it to him...
    willy

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    +1 for the scorecard app that rez is recommending. I wasnt happy with free version but once i paid for the actual app it is fantastic. Paired with an acurate gps ( i use sky caddie ) you can keep track of distance off the tee. Length of first putts and see everything else tracked in graph form on the website after uploading the round!!!!

Definitely a great purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    Just switched from an SG5 to http://www.golflogix.com/ on my iphone. Have yet to play my first round with it, but so far I like the interface. I have some concern over the battery life and will likely get an external battery such as http://richardsolo.com/backupbatteryforiphoneipod.aspx.
    Update: Golflogix . Could not update par values on holes, could not record fairways hit, battery died on 15th hole (started with full charge), annual fee is high. Could not review subscription expiry date / renewal options.

Recenly loaded Golfshot. Initial impressions are good. No annual fee.
    ________
    MAZDA R360 PICTURE
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Golfshot for the iphone is amazing. The interface is a bit quirky, but I got used to it real quick. Highly recommended.
    ________
    Ford scorpio
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    How accurate is the GPS modem in an iPhone or BB compared to a dedicated Golf GPS? Just not sure if I'm ready to move to an app on my BB if its not accurate, especially when its cloudy etc and harder to find a GPS signal.

I did not find any difference in accuracy. If anything, the only real difference is the time it takes for the distance to 'settle'. It can take a few seconds longer than a dedicated gps.
    ________
    Hotels in mexico
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My Nokia N95 smartphone has a poor GPS reciever, but I picked up a great bluetooth GPS reciever for just $50. Like these I just put it in a pocket my bag. It never loses the satelite fix, even if it's clowdy, from inside the zipped up pocket. That and the Intelligolf software on the phone is a great combo.

If the GPS reciever is the only issue, I'd rather spend $50 on an external Bluetooth than $350+ for a dedicated GPS golf system.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    On my new iPhone, I trialed GolfLogix and it was ok, with super fast customer service, but I ended up buying GolfShot (no trials allowed) and have to say I really like it.

GolfShot is on the iTunes store and it was $30 plus tax.

I found the distances very accurate.

Using their tips under FAQs, I had 60% battery life left after the round, which was amazing. Only drawback was that inside 60 or so yards to the green, it stopped giving me the yardage "To front" of the green. I found that problematic as I like to know approximately where to land a chip. Distances "To back" and "To middle" were still displayed. Anyway, you can pace it off that close.

I recommend both GolfShot, and also buying an OtterBox case on ebay for your phone, that will protect the phone when you drop it, which you eventually will. I bought a case that is first a screen protector (you can leave this on all the time), then a plastic cover and over that goes silicone skin - very protective of the pretty little iPhone.
    Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful woman - and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air. - Jack Benny

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    To correct my last post...Golfshot actually gives yardages right up to the time you walk on the green...great software.
    Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful woman - and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air. - Jack Benny

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Is the scorecard app actually called Scorecard or is it Scorecard for Golf or ????
    Thanks

Lob Wedge Lyv2golf is on a distinguished road Lyv2golf's Avatar
    Any recommended GPS' for the BB?

Any thoughts about the Callaway UPRO?

3 Iron njchan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    Golfshot for the iphone is amazing. The interface is a bit quirky, but I got used to it real quick. Highly recommended.
    I'm bringing this topic back up - as I'm getting my iphone 4 tomorrow ... planning on picking up GolfShot (Full Version with GPS) for $30 in the app store. I figure vs the cost of a dedicated GPS ... it's worth it.

any more thoughts / suggestions on 'extra battery' life?

I have an extra extended battery that I carry in my golf bag, but I have yet to use it. I only wake the iphone when I am walking up to my approach shot to make sure the gps has enough time to settle. Once I have the right distance, I put the phone back to sleep until I walk off the green (to enter the score). I do not need yardages off the teee (unless its a par 3). I rarely use more than 30% of the battery in a round.
    ________
    Henry Company
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 04:03 AM.

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    I have tried the following on the iPhone

Golflogix - was okay but they lacked updated scorecards sometimes and with an annual fee, I won't use them anymore.

Golfcard Pro - was great with link to oobgolf. But they dropped oobgolf with the new version and its terrible now.

GolfShot - Terrific application. The only one I use and very accurate. All golf courses are mapped in Ottawa (that I have tried). The exception is eQuinelle and Montebello because google maps hasn't been updated yet or not accurate enough. They do have the scorecard for both.

Thread Information