CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    ...But as of right now, I have no problem with the leaving the call up to a ''higher power'' (other than the lengthy delays).
    But, that is my principal issue: It must be faster than we witnessed Saturday night.

Why not simply have all calls made by the "higher power", including icing, off-side, goals and penalties? Because it is inefficient. And, because we have on-ice officials. They get paid to officiate, let them officiate. If the game is too complex such that they make errors, allow for an NFL-style challenge to the on-ice officials with 90 seconds of video replay to confirm, vary or overturn the call.

Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    Tongue-in-cheek emoticon means tongue-in-cheek.
    <-- sticking toungue out

I would not have understood that to be "tongue-in-cheek". Sorry.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Here is the rule:

"If you take an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of a game you are automatically suspended for the next game"

Unless you are Chara and it is the play-off and....

Now he is not suspended but still has an instigator penalty...

This is the NHL, there is nothing that is black and white...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Here is the rule:

"If you take an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of a game you are automatically suspended for the next game"

Unless you are Chara and it is the play-off and....

Now he is not suspended but still has an instigator penalty...

This is the NHL, there is nothing that is black and white...
    The NHL rescinded the suspension on Saturday under Rule 47.22, which states it shall be served unless the director of hockey operations “deems the incident is not related to the score, previous incidents in the game or prior games, retaliatory in nature, ‘message sending,’ etc.”

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i dont understand how Chara got a penalty anyway, he was jumped by 4 Sabres. it all of them to bring down that Slovenian monster.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    But, that is my principal issue: It must be faster than we witnessed Saturday night.

Why not simply have all calls made by the "higher power", including icing, off-side, goals and penalties? Because it is inefficient. And, because we have on-ice officials. They get paid to officiate, let them officiate. If the game is too complex such that they make errors, allow for an NFL-style challenge to the on-ice officials with 90 seconds of video replay to confirm, vary or overturn the call.
    I doubt there is a player, coach or referee in the NHL that would agree with you. To a man, they all say that the most important thing is to get the call right.

As a referee I'm always amused how 99&#37; of fans think the most important calls (or non-calls) relate to penalties. Penalty calls rarely have a significant impact on the game - it has to be pretty one-sided or at a very crucial time of the game. As DLIII pointed out, it has more to do with how a team deals with adversity. Most players and coaches know that these things tend to even out anyway and just deal with it, but of course fans only see the one side.

In reality, the most important calls a referee makes are NOT the penalties but the GOALS. Even though 95% of those calls are easy to make, get just ONE of them wrong and it can totally change a game and every referee knows it. The Fisher call in the last game was a perfect example of this. The call on the ice was a goal - which we now know through video replay was not correct. If the incorrect on-ice call was allowed to stand, the outcome of the game would have been totally different (i.e, the Sens would have won). That's why its so important to make sure that the right call is made - no matter how long it takes.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Actually the only calls that the NHL referees make are penalties... that is 100%.

Like you said 95% are easy to call and the rest are called by Toronto... it doesn't really matter what the on ice officials called...

So the most important calls made by on ice officials are penalties!
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    you should work for the globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1530864/

its easy to pick the favourites. Pick the upsets.

here's mine

Caps
    Philly
    Buffalo
    Sens

Avs
    Hawks
    Canucks
    Wings
    we both are 4-3 in predictions so far.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    we both are 4-3 in predictions so far.
    ya, but the Sens for me were a homer pick. If i was betting, I would have picked the Pens.

I pick the Caps to win tonight.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    ya, but the Sens for me were a homer pick. If i was betting, I would have picked the Pens.

I pick the Caps to win tonight.
    Go Habs Go!!
    Habs vs Pens this weekend.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Go Habs Go!!
    Habs vs Pens this weekend.
    my heart says Habs (man that was tough for me to write!). Would love to see them knock off the Caps. My brain unfortunately says Caps.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I doubt there is a player, coach or referee in the NHL that would agree with you. To a man, they all say that the most important thing is to get the call right.

As a referee I'm always amused how 99% of fans think the most important calls (or non-calls) relate to penalties. Penalty calls rarely have a significant impact on the game - it has to be pretty one-sided or at a very crucial time of the game. As DLIII pointed out, it has more to do with how a team deals with adversity. Most players and coaches know that these things tend to even out anyway and just deal with it, but of course fans only see the one side.

In reality, the most important calls a referee makes are NOT the penalties but the GOALS. Even though 95% of those calls are easy to make, get just ONE of them wrong and it can totally change a game and every referee knows it. The Fisher call in the last game was a perfect example of this. The call on the ice was a goal - which we now know through video replay was not correct. If the incorrect on-ice call was allowed to stand, the outcome of the game would have been totally different (i.e, the Sens would have won). That's why its so important to make sure that the right call is made - no matter how long it takes.
    This is where I disagree. To say that a bad call or none call on a penalty does not change the outcome of the game is completely false unless you are a God and can backup time and play out both situations. You never know what could happen. All you judge following the bad or none call is the result at the end. But if the decided action is reversed and something happens like a momentum change, a goal, another penalty…..What might have been? You cannot tell because you cannot choose by looking at both possibilities. So unless you are psychic, a medium or God you cannot be sure at 100% what would have happened if the coin was flipped.

I refed games in minor hockey and I do agree that errors do happen because I am guilty of bad calls but I have NEVER looked the other way as they do in the NHL. Can anybody honestly say that the refs call the same game in the post season as they did in the regular season? This has a direct impact on the outcome of the game. Would there be a different winner in one or more series? Who knows, but there might have been…

my heart says Habs (man that was tough for me to write!). Would love to see them knock off the Caps. My brain unfortunately says Caps.
    Let's just say that the Habs have nothing to lose and the caps have everything to lose. The most embarrassing thing for a team is being the best team in the NHL and get beat by the worst team that qualifies for the post season and that with only 1 point in it last 3 games of the regular season.

Nonetheless, win or lose, the Habs have won big time. Who would have predicted a game 7 in this series!!! I’m already on the edge of my seat and will proudly wear my Cammy habs jersey during the game tonight.

Go Habs Go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    ... - no matter how long it takes.
    I agree it is very important to make the call right. It is this comment with which I have a problem. Fans should bring a sleeping bag to the game.

A replay should only be used to reverse a call if it is obvious, and it is not obvious if it takes 10 minutes reviewing replays.

It takes the onus off the referees to make the right call on the spot: "Oh, if I blow it, the video judge will make it right."

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    ...Go Habs Go!!!!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Go Caps GO!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Go Caps GO!
    Golf Caps Golf!!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    There goes my hockey pool.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Thread Information