100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    You know how to make friends here don't you?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Gentlemen, please. Won't somebody please think of the children?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DLIII View Post
    Well sens blew a 3 goal lead. I can't say I'm surprised they were over matched. You're teams in trouble when you're leaning on Chris Neil to provide your offence.

I wish I saw the whole game. ( Family commitments ) Does anyone know where i can stream the game online? to see the rest of the game?
    I think it was leaning on Neil for pose, experience & leadership, not goal scoring, although it certainly helped! Same reason Detroit used to lean on Maltby & Draper and how Pitt relies on Dupuis and Cooke when they need to get something going. Neil/Ruutu/Kelly are skilled energy guys that work their butts off, every team needs a line like that

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I tend to be diplomatic, but in your case bluntness is called for. Not only are you arrogant, but you're insulting. That's quite a talent.

Just for the record as you seem to have missed the point of my post. I agreed that the bad calls did not determine the outcome of any of the games. And by the way, anyone who knows me knows that there is nothing wrong with my attention span or my attention to detail.

You see you quoted 15% of my entire post. that's like viewing a hockey game in 30 second chunks. I rest my case. Thus the big picture is lost.

The big picture of my post is this, since it has to be compressed into 1 sentence to keep your attention.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I think the lot of you who jumped on DLIII were a tad presumptuous, and when called out, somehow act offended.

If that was a veiled reference to me, then I would disagree that I was presumptuous. In my initial note I proceeded on the basis of the premises set out in DLIII's argument. Nor did I "act offended." I was offended. That said, I should probably not have been as blunt as I was in my last comment.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    I think the lot of you who jumped on DLIII were a tad presumptuous, and when called out, somehow act offended.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Argue all you want about the Sens and Pens, but if there continues to be personal attacks amongst members of the forum, it will be shut down. Play nicely please.

It won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Argue all you want about the Sens and Pens, but if there continues to be personal attacks amongst members of the forum, it will be shut down. Play nicely please.

9 Iron DLIII is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    You know how to make friends here don't you?
    I could have made things easy by coming out and saying. "Agreed - The refs stink" Then continued with the agree-a-thon.

However. I didn't believe the refs were that bad. I think it's an excuse or distraction for the crappy luck on the sens, Injuries were the key.

I took great offence to the notion that I was less than genuine when referring to the senators as my team of choice in this years playoffs. Simply because I didn't share the same outrage and that I live in another city.

maybe I could have been nicer but so could have others.
    Last edited by DLIII; 04-25-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Are there times when an official has decided a game?

Washington had a huge beef last night. High stick no call. But did it decide the game NO. .Montreal was a better team and they won.
    How about a 4-1 Mtl lead the the Caps started to crash the net none stop with no calls resulting in three goals and then Mtl lost 6-5 in over time. You are telling looking the other way does not change the outcome of the game? Come on. Next game they called a few goalie interference penalties because it was brought to the officiating attention. Purposely not calling an infraction does change the outcome of the game every time because you don't know what that penalty can change. I'm not a Sens fan and I do understand that its easy to make a mistake but explain to me how a ref can call a 4 minute high stick infraction on Fisher when it's obvious his hockey did not even come close to the other players face and then there was the no call on the high stick infraction in Sedin when the Kings player's hockey was stuck in Sedin visor. That was an easy call to make but the ref decided NOT to call it when it was clear there was an infraction.

Like I said missing a call can happen and that's part of sports but purposely looking the other way at the end of the game or in overtime is ridiculous and that does change the outcome of the game.
    Last edited by mberube; 04-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I think it was leaning on Neil for pose, experience & leadership, not goal scoring, although it certainly helped! Same reason Detroit used to lean on Maltby & Draper and how Pitt relies on Dupuis and Cooke when they need to get something going. Neil/Ruutu/Kelly are skilled energy guys that work their butts off, every team needs a line like that
    I agree. My post did not convey the message I intended. I have great respect for those players. Neil, Ruutu in particular played the best hockey I've ever seen them play when they weren't running around trying to hit people for the sake of hitting them. And at times dominated the pens in their own end. Normally those kinds of players add support to the 'stars'. In this case it seemed they were the only goto line in stretches. It's tough to win when the pens goto line is malkin or crosby.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    How about a 4-1 Mtl lead the the Caps started to crash the net none stop with no calls resulting in three goals and then Mtl lost 6-5 in over time. You are telling looking the other way does not change the outcome of the game? Come on. Next game they called a few goalie interference penalties because it was brought to the officiating attention. Purposely not calling an infraction does change the outcome of the game every time cause you don't know what that penalty can change. I'm not a Sens fan and I do understand that its easy to make a mistake but explain to me how a ref can call a 4 minute high stick infraction on Fisher when it's obvious his hockey did not even come close to the other players face and then there was the no call on the high stick infraction in Sedin when the Kings player's hockey was stuck in Sedin visor. That was an easy call to make but the ref decided NOT to call it when it was clear there was an infraction.

Like I said missing a call can happen and that's part of sports but purposely looking the other way at the end of the game of in overtime is ridiculous and that does change the outcome of the game.
    I'm not going to try to explain what the ref saw. I don't know where his eyes were. I don't know what he saw. All I know is he called what he thought he saw. The sens won the game. It made no difference to the outcome.

Didn't see the high stick in the Sedin's helmet. Can't comment. Though it wouldn't be the first time that happened in the NHL.

Washington Montreal. Yeah they crashed the net. Halve the contact on Halak was a result of Montreal D men pushing Caps in the wrong direction. Montreal also in typical Jaques Martin fashion tried to nurse the lead and let Washington come in waves. The fact that the refs called a few more goalie interference calls allowed wash to to win 2 straight.

I'll be upfront here. I hate the Montreal Canadiens. LET'S GO CAPS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I tend to be diplomatic, but in your case bluntness is called for. Not only are you arrogant, but you're insulting. That's quite a talent.
    Well I try my best to be entertaining.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I've read everyones thread and I've watched sports a long time. Football, Baseball, Hockey, Basketball. Officiating has rarely been the reason for victory or defeat. I can think of a handful. Buf vs Dallas, Tom Brady's fumble errr tuck rule call.
    You might have watched sports for a long time but quite a few people here have PLAYED sports for a long time... and let me tell you the referees are doing a poor job during these series... I am not a Sens fan but I can tell you they got the sortend a quite a few call. Same goes for the Canucks (not a Canucks fan). I will not comment on the Habs because I might have been bias.

As for your attack on MPare, this is completely out of line. He is a great athlete and has played quite a few sports.... and he would kick your %%% in golf... and take your $$. MPare is an honest and great guy, it takes a lot to get him mad and you manage to do it... like Donny said you should try to make friends not enemies.

There is nothing wrong to say people shouldn't be whining but say it once and pass on something else...

By the way... talking about refs... I am more mad about the people in Toronto doing reviews... On the Sens almost 4th goal (by Fisher)... I thought there was something about if the puck is going in and the net is moved the goal still counts... The fact that the net moved had nothing to do with the fact that the puck was not going in... it was almost at the same time.

Just to remind everybody, I am not a Sens fan...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    You might have watched sports for a long time but quite a few people here have PLAYED sports for a long time... and let me tell you the referees are doing a poor job during these series... I am not a Sens fan but I can tell you they got the sortend a quite a few call. Same goes for the Canucks (not a Canucks fan). I will not comment on the Habs because I might have been bias.

As for your attack on MPare, this is completely out of line. He is a great athlete and has played quite a few sports.... and he would kick your %%% in golf... and take your $$. MPare is an honest and great guy, it takes a lot to get him mad and you manage to do it... like Donny said you should try to make friends not enemies.

There is nothing wrong to say people shouldn't be whining but say it once and pass on something else...

By the way... talking about refs... I am more mad about the people in Toronto doing reviews... On the Sens almost 4th goal (by Fisher)... I thought there was something about if the puck is going in and the net is moved the goal still counts... The fact that the net moved had nothing to do with the fact that the puck was not going in... it was almost at the same time.

Just to remind everybody, I am not a Sens fan...

Agreed! Sens got screwed a bit this series. Refs have been so inconsistent. And thats all around the NHL.

I am a sens fan
    Just another lefty....

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    The Sens played a hell of a series. IMO they faired the best they could. Somewhat short maned and playing the defending cup champs. They simply got beat by a far better and more expeirienced team at this point. Chances are we will see Pitt back in the cup this year (again IMO).

As far as the officiating goes. I think they missed a few calls for sure, but they always do. Its realy easy for us all to be arm chair refs when we are seeing replay after replay after replay after replay....... The actual refs have one chance to see it at full speed and have to make the call on the ice within a second. I know I would miss alot more calls then they do.

The sens have alot to look forward to. In particular Karlson and Regin. These guys are going to be good if not great players for a long time to come.

Im admittedly a leaf fan . LOL. But will cheer the Sens or any other Canadian team (excluding the Montreal Canadians) on any day.

Go Canucks Go !!!!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Somebody open the windows, this thread has gone Phewwwwie.

Looks like I was right about Detroit. Done in 7.

good. our boys will get an actual summer vacation for once, and they'll be fresh and ready for next year.

Go WINGS!!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I thought we weren't gonna start a pissing contest. I've played lots of sports too. Honestly if you review my thought process it's been the same. Analyze the big picture, Even with some of the borderline calls going the wrong way. The better team has won. In this series AND the Canucks series. Canucks were the better team and won the series. The calls were not series defining by any means. That's why they play 7. it minimizes the luck factor.

First of all I didn't think it was an attack. Everyone has there own threshold. I didn't mind mpare calling me arrogant and insulting. To an extent I was. I took a shot he fired back. End of story.

By the way... talking about refs... I am more mad about the people in Toronto doing reviews...
    Why?

On the Sens almost 4th goal (by Fisher)... I thought there was something about if the puck is going in and the net is moved the goal still counts... The fact that the net moved had nothing to do with the fact that the puck was not going in... it was almost at the same time.
    I thought it was the right call. That's the risk with going to the net that hard and out of control. Do you really think it should be goal? Run over the goalie and hope the puck keeps going? That's a bad precedent.

The next argument is fisher was pushed in by the penguins. Well yeah. The dman is going to defend his end. if a player is going full bore into the net. There's going to be contact. It happens. We can't start rewarding that kind of strategy. if the puck goes in before the net comes off good goal IMHO. The ruling should be case by case. If there's a yawning cage and the goaler turns around and pushes the net off then yeah. But that's a different circumstance.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    If the net is off, then the call is "NO GOAL". The goal posts must be on their moorings for a goal to be legal.

If they net is INTENTIONALLY dislodged, then the referree can award a penalty shot.

If there is no defending player between the attacking player and the net and the net is INTENTIONALLY dislodged, a goal can awarded (similar to throwing your stick when there's an empty net). That situation is extremely rare however, as the defending player would have to be behind or beside the net for that call to be even possible. I've never seen it called - it just never happens.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    There needs to be a time limit (perhaps 90 seconds, like the NFL) for the video replay judges. The extended time-outs for the looky-loos in some basement in Toronto* to examine 28 different camera angles in slow motion turns the tide of momentum, and, in my opinion, could have caused the Sens the game. The result of the call (which I question) is not the point - it is the delay which bothers me the most.

I do also like the NFL's idea of limited coaches' challenge - however, in the NHL, include missed (or incorrectly assessed) penalties in the list of issues that can be challenged.

* Who ever thought Toronto-based video was a good idea, anyway? The officials should be in the stadium so they have to answer to the fans, the coaches and the players.

Analyze the big picture, Even with some of the borderline calls going the wrong way. The better team has won. In this series AND the Canucks series. Canucks were the better team and won the series. The calls were not series defining by any means. That's why they play 7. it minimizes the luck factor.

The big picture would be that every missed call leads to frustration to the opposing team. Frustration leads to a penalty, a penalty leads to a power play goal and can shift the game 100%!! Now imagine that goal is the winner and now it turns into a home ice loss.

Now add up all the missed calls in all the games around the NHL and tell me that doesn't affect the outcome! The officiating has been quite bad around the whole NHL for some reason.

I am a sens fan and thought we were going to get our $$$ handed to us. But I felt that we really made them work in alot of cases and believe that we could have taken alot of steam from them if we would have caught a couple breaks.

One bad call can steal a game.
    Just another lefty....

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    If that was a veiled reference to me, then I would disagree that I was presumptuous. In my initial note I proceeded on the basis of the premises set out in DLIII's argument. Nor did I "act offended." I was offended. That said, I should probably not have been as blunt as I was in my last comment.
    No, it wasn't at you.

Funny how a guy who cheers for the Sens can get ripped apart because his opinion is different from the others, though. Even has his loyalties questioned. I found the whole episode odd.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    There needs to be a time limit (perhaps 90 seconds, like the NFL) for the video replay judges. The extended time-outs for the looky-loos in some basement in Toronto* to examine 28 different camera angles in slow motion turns the tide of momentum, and, in my opinion, could have caused the Sens the game. The result of the call (which I question) is not the point - it is the delay which bothers me the most.

I do also like the NFL's idea of limited coaches' challenge - however, in the NHL, include missed (or incorrectly assessed) penalties in the list of issues that can be challenged.

* Who ever thought Toronto-based video was a good idea, anyway? The officials should be in the stadium so they have to answer to the fans, the coaches and the players.
    Problem is, there are as many as 15 games happening on one day. How are they they going to be in every building all at the same time??

If you have everthing reviewed ''in-house'', it kind of defeats the purpose of having a war room for determining an ultimate decision.

Also, what's wrong with Toronto (anti-Leaf campaign?) . I'd rather not Bettman setup shop in Tampa or Florida etc. etc.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Well, that was heartbreaking. Quite the tease, I was already making plans for Monday night. The refs were good last night. Only complaint, aside from losing, is the amount of time it takes to review a goal. Holy.
    No doubt! Victory was within' our grasp, and the "I believe" song was running through my head! I hate that damn song.

Both teams played a pretty clean game, and it was well officiated. Full credit to the Pens for coming back from 3 goals down.

The good news is that 1) I don't have to watch any more hockey games, and 2) maybe I'll run into some of the Sens at the Marshes.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Spezza/Philips, i will caddy for you guys for free at hunt club.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Hunter View Post
    The big picture would be that every missed call leads to frustration to the opposing team. Frustration leads to a penalty, a penalty leads to a power play goal and can shift the game 100%!! Now imagine that goal is the winner and now it turns into a home ice loss.

Now add up all the missed calls in all the games around the NHL and tell me that doesn't affect the outcome! The officiating has been quite bad around the whole NHL for some reason.

I am a sens fan and thought we were going to get our $$$ handed to us. But I felt that we really made them work in alot of cases and believe that we could have taken alot of steam from them if we would have caught a couple breaks.

One bad call can steal a game.
    I'm paraphrasing a well known saying. it's not what happens to you in life it's how you respond. Sure a missed call is not a participants fault. Allowing the frustration to boil over and lose your composure IS your fault.

Now you're not referring to this actual series. The bad calls that I can remember did not change the outcome directly. A goal wasn't scored and many times I found an offsetting call followed closely.

It's up to a team to determine how it responds to a mistake and they're going to happen. This quest for perfection is not only futile it's wrong. it's wrong to view a game call by call just as it's wrong to judge a player. Stride by Stride.

I think Jason Spezza takes more heat than he deserves. Yes he gives the puck away at times, but he also caused chaos in the pens end. He saved the day in game 5 with a fantastic pass to the slot. That tied it at 3 and allowed the triple OT win to extend the series back in Ottawa.

There's only 10 top centers I would trade for Spezza.

DLIII,

I am not saying that it isn't their fault how they react. Regardless, it is a fact that a call can change a games outcome. Nor did I say it will change the game by a goal within a minute after. Sometimes a bad call or a missed a call can affect the game entirely. It can lead to the other teams frustration and bad play. It is quite simple to see where I am going with this.

It does not have to lead to a goal or a huge turnaround. It can be as simple as not getting a break and the other team taking over in the zone for a minute and a half. And it builds from there.

I love Spezza, I think he is a good player. Not great but good. He has control of the puck more than most and thats why people see him turn the puck over more. He tries to make something happen and when he does he is a hero and when he doesn't he should be traded. This is wrong, and I think he has done wonders on this team. Look at his points every year!

Cheers,
    Just another lefty....

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    No, it wasn't at you.

Funny how a guy who cheers for the Sens can get ripped apart because his opinion is different from the others, though. Even has his loyalties questioned. I found the whole episode odd.
    I think this whole thing blew up after I insinuated that DLIII was a Leaf fan, so...

Lessons learned:

1) If you have a differing opinion in a forum full of Sens fans, state right off the bat that you are in fact a Sens fan. Especially if you live in another city. How else are people supposed to know? Blue team infiltrators are everywhere just waiting to . The opinion of a fellow Sens fan is automatically going to be looked at in a better light... well most of the time.

2) Don't infer that someone is a Leaf fan, even as a joke, because it's one of the worst insults in the country outside of the greater Toronto area .

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    Problem is, there are as many as 15 games happening on one day. How are they they going to be in every building all at the same time??

If you have everthing reviewed ''in-house'', it kind of defeats the purpose of having a war room for determining an ultimate decision..
    Exactly. Bomb the crap* out of the war room concept.

* Can I say that here?

Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    Also, what's wrong with Toronto (anti-Leaf campaign?) .
    Give me a break. There doesn't need to be an anti-Leaf campaign.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Exactly. Bomb the crap* out of the war room concept.

* Can I say that here?

Give me a break. There doesn't need to be an anti-Leaf campaign.
    Tongue-in-cheek emoticon means tongue-in-cheek. Your original comment seemed to imply that you have an issue with Toronto being the centre for such review room. Not trying to start anything.

Hmmm.... this is a tough one. Because I do believe an ''official at the top'' is needed. What's wrong with decisions such as goal or no goal having to go to a war room? If there needs to be in house and in house only decisions, maybe we can give the refs a replay booth (a la NFL)?

But as of right now, I have no problem with the leaving the call up to a ''higher power'' (other than the lengthy delays).
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Thread Information