CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Man they held on for dear life at the end, but a win's a win!

Definitely a different scoring team this year...Kelly, Ruutu, and Neil all score goals. If the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines can score in this series, Ottawa will be looking good.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I confess to not having watched an NHL game for a while. After all, how many Leaf games can one take? But (don't tell me that I cannot begin a sentence with "but" - I know the rule and I chose to ignore it) I did watch last night's game. The Sens were impressive. They played hockey with enthusiasm and determination for all three periods. You can't ask for more than that ... well, maybe that Spezza stops providing no-look, drop passes to the opponents that nearly result in goals. Great game.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    1 game closer to realistic
    If was. Good game for the Sens, they seemed to be great at the down low game which will be key against the Pens to slow the play down and keep tje pucks away from their snipers. Unfortunately the Sens aren't gonna get contributions from Neil/Kelly/Ruutu every game, so hopefully their top 2 lines step up in the next couple games, cause the Pens showed they have a ton of firepower and can strike quick and often, especially on the PP. Man we can't keep taking "too many men" penalties it's just a gift penalty.

On a side note, did anybody watch the Coyotes/Wings game? I confess to not watching Shane Doan much and always wondering how this guy kept making team Canada. WOW, he was a one-man wrecking crew out there. He threw at least 6 HUGE hits that were momentum changers

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    On a side note, did anybody watch the Coyotes/Wings game? I confess to not watching Shane Doan much and always wondering how this guy kept making team Canada. WOW, he was a one-man wrecking crew out there. He threw at least 6 HUGE hits that were momentum changers
    i watched it. hence my red eyes this morning. Doan played like a guy who wanted to make his presence felt every shift. he was kind of like braveheart out there, crushing guys left and right. i was annoyed by his after the whistle pushing and shoving though. i'm sure he's already gotten under the skins of the Wings players.

good game phoenix. but i hope those refs never ref another game in these playoffs. they missed an obvious high stick call with 3 minutes left in the third period. some phoenix player's stick game up and slashed Lidstrom's face, 5 stiches, blood, refs stopped the play but didn't give any penalty because they said it was a teammate's stick that hit Lidstrom. Come on, it was 4 on 4 and the play happened at center ice with the puck at Lidstrom's feet. Everyone in the world saw that. Detroit should have had a 4 on 3 for 90 seconds, a 5 on 3 for 30 seconds, and another 2 minutes of 5-4 going into OT.

another post season, another critical game changing call against the Wings. doesn't mean we would have won the game, but it's sad that there are 4 refs out there and none of them had the balls to make the right call.

[/end whining]
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    What was really amazing about that phoenix game was the way Bryzghalov played. I know he was great in the regular season, but that's not the playoffs. And, that first goal was atrocious. That's the kind of goal that can just destroy a guy for the rest of the playoffs, or even their career. But, he bounced back and played a wicked game. Gonna be a good series.

As for the Sens, excellent showing. They adjusted well after the second PP goal for Malkin. Hard forechecking all night, and didn't give the pens skill guys room to move. The D played well, including guys like Karlsson and Campoli, who are still question marks in their own end. I thought Cullen was a beast out there. He was all over the ice, making plays, forcing turnovers. That's the kind of game the Sens need every night. They need to be rolling 4 lines, and they all need to contribute. They don't have the scoring they used to have in their top 2 lines, so they really need to be able to do what they did last night, and put offensive pressure on no matter who hits the ice. It won't always result in the number of goals/points the 3rd line got last night, but it will keep the Pens thinking, and maybe help open up a bit more room for the big line. Excellent start to what will surely be a long, entertaining series.

Finally, HAHAHAHA San Jose.

i think we need a "2010 NHL Playoffs" thread.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I would not be saddened if the Sens ever decide to trade away Jason Spezza. His faults are really starting to overshadow his positives. If it was the free-wheeling 80s, Spezza would be an asset.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I would not be saddened if the Sens ever decide to trade away Jason Spezza. His faults are really starting to overshadow his positives. If it was the free-wheeling 80s, Spezza would be an asset.
    Spezza is not a dominant #1 center, but he is who he is. And he's a damn good player. If the right move came along, I suppose I'd consider it, but careful what you wish for. Our next option at center is Fisher, and, well, he's very limited in the scoring department.

I hope the Sens re-sign Sutton. He knocks someone out every 3rd or 4th game.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Spezza is not a dominant #1 center, but he is who he is. And he's a damn good player. If the right move came along, I suppose I'd consider it, but careful what you wish for. Our next option at center is Fisher, and, well, he's very limited in the scoring department.

I hope the Sens re-sign Sutton. He knocks someone out every 3rd or 4th game.
    I agree with both points, especially with regards to Spezza.

Spezza in my mind has repaired much of the damage he had done to my opinion in previous seasons with his massively improved end-to-end play this season. He's been more physical. He's been a lot more responsible defensively. This is the first season that I can say it looks like he's been working really hard to improve his game.

Are there people I'd prefer to see on that line in some sort of 'dream scenario'? Absolutely. But he fits in well, and he's taken significant strides towards being a better all-around player. If the price of that is that he's a little quieter offensively, then so be it. Keep in mind the Sens don't have a 40 goal scorer this year, and Alfie's had a quiet year too - I think a decrease in production is hardly surprising given the circumstances. I prefer a team that can roll 4 lines against their opponents , regardless

This looks like it is shaping up to be a great, close series. Love it! Go Sens Go!
    Last edited by Foddz; 04-16-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Wannabe Golf

this phoenix detroit game is a thriller. i'm on the edge of my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    While I ripped Spezza a couple of times tonight, and certainly don't think he's the future of the franchise, he is an important part of their current lineup, and if he plays the way he can, this team can go far this year.

Bylsma managed to get his matchup on that go ahead goal - got Crosby out against our weakest defensive centre in Spezza. I think Spezza could have done better in the situation, but these things happen.

If you told me before the playoffs that we'd split on the road with the pens, and be even in the +/-, I'd be ecstatic. The Sens played an awful offensive game tonight, and were still in the game up until the final minute. That is a good sign for the rest of the series.

There are lots of little things to improve on, but there are also lots of places we could be doing much worse. Personally, I'm excited with the state of the series heading home for 2 games. Our D has been consistent, if not spectacular, and our rookies have performed remarkably well. While none have been game stealers, they have all played with remarkable poise, patience, and confidence.

Going into these playoffs I would have been very pleased to come out with a positive outlook for the future of the franchise. As it stands now, I also have an extremely positive outlook about the 'present' of the franchise.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    And how about the double standard for officiating. If that was Ruutu slamming Crosby into the boards like that there would have been a penalty for sure. There were a number of Penguin fouls that were not called.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    And how about the double standard for officiating. If that was Ruutu slamming Crosby into the boards like that there would have been a penalty for sure. There were a number of Penguin fouls that were not called.
    That's just the way te NHL is, Ruutu has a reputation and will never get the benefit if the doubt on those plays, just like Matt Cooke won't either. If the hit was Alfie on Cooke I'm sure there wouldn't have been a call either. The thing that bothered me is that the officials called 2 BS penalties in Sutton to make up for a good non-call on the Leopold hit. Those 2 penalties were horrible, but that's a pattern with refs in the NHL.

Bouche
    Pens in 5

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Sens in 7 ;-)
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Man....watching the replay of that....i wouldn't have called it either. Ruutu knows Crosby is there. He looks back over his shoulder, right at the guy. Gets a love tap, but not enough to go over. So he then looks back at Crosby again and gives him the 'come on, hit me harder than that' eyes, and Crosby does, so Ruutu helps himself into the boards. I mean, I appreciate the effort to draw the penalty, but I also appreciate the non-call.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Man....watching the replay of that....i wouldn't have called it either. Ruutu knows Crosby is there. He looks back over his shoulder, right at the guy. Gets a love tap, but not enough to go over. So he then looks back at Crosby again and gives him the 'come on, hit me harder than that' eyes, and Crosby does, so Ruutu helps himself into the boards. I mean, I appreciate the effort to draw the penalty, but I also appreciate the non-call.
    reminds me of that scene from Starsky and Hutch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ISn1Hc2V_Y

Bouche
    Pitt in 5

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    why does Clouston continue to put Spezza out against Crosby, -3 last night, come on!
    they "shut" him down in game 1 with mostly the kelly line so why mess with a winning formula, i don't understand...

Donovan needs to be inserted into the lineup for Shannon. This is a hard nosed series and we need a grinder with experience, not an undersized player who can't contain the puck down low. Cheecho is too slow to put up against this Pittsburgh team, Donovan gives this team a spark that Shannon just can't provide in this type of hard series. If Clouston can look past his love of the Bingo guys he will clearly see this.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Donovan needs to be inserted into the lineup for Shannon. This is a hard nosed series and we need a grinder with experience, not an undersized player who can't contain the puck down low. Cheecho is too slow to put up against this Pittsburgh team, Donovan gives this team a spark that Shannon just can't provide in this type of hard series. If Clouston can look past his love of the Bingo guys he will clearly see this.

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Finally, HAHAHAHA San Jose.
    it just gets worse and worse every post season for the Sharks. they should just forfeit the playoffs after the regular season ends. pack it in, and head down to the beach.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    it just gets worse and worse every post season for the Sharks. they should just forfeit the playoffs after the regular season ends. pack it in, and head down to the beach.

This could be just what SJ needs to kickstart something. I think this will be SJ's playoff success turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    This could be just what SJ needs to kickstart something. I think this will be SJ's playoff success turning point.
    Nope, that was game 2 when they managed to tie it up in the final 30 seconds.

The amazing thing about San Jose is that, while their complete collapse is as predictable as the sunrise, they still manage to find really entertaining ways to do it. It's quite the skill they've developped.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I don't know if you watch the game... they dominated the game like I have never seen... At one point the Avs were 16+ minutes without a shot... I think they are just snakebitten...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Clouston has an odd assessment of his players qualities. He inserts Shannon intead of Donovan on the 4th line, Donovan was the most consistent player last time they were in the playoffs, is a large and fast body that compliments the 4th line crash and bang way more than Shannon. Shannon is too small and the 4th line does not suit his style of play. As for Cheechoo, I cannot believe Clouston would put him in instead of Chum, I mean Cheechoo has not even been in the NHL in months, lets hope he does not rank above Donovan. Donovan has proved he is a quality playoff man, Clouston- Put in CHUM!!!!!

Secondly Clouston leaves the Spezza/Alfie line against the Crosby line, DUH, this is our weakest defensive line. Spezza tries but he is the weakest defensive player on the roster right now. To put him against Crosby is lunacy. I do not get it. All season on the road every other team matched up their top line against Spezza's line because they struggle against potent offensive lines but for some reason Clouston thinks the opposite. Our road record and Spezza's inefficency vs Crosby is evidence that this is not a good. Clouston even put Spezza on the PK, unbelievable, that was a big head scratcher. Spezza is trying hard but he is really struggling with turnovers once again, not like when he returned from his injury and was being more patient and looking before passing. Clouston finally saw the line match-ups as detrimental in the 3rd period and started putting the checking line vs Crosby. If we see Spezza vs Crosby at the opening face-off then we are in for a long night.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

First, let me say that I am not a Cheechoo, and I still rue the day that Brian Murray decided to take him instead of a bag of pucks. Let me also say that I love the way Donovan plays, and in any other situation, would love to see him in the lineup.

However, the Sens biggest problem right now is scoring. It's not hitting, it's not size, it's not speed. It's putting the puck in the net. As much as I like Donovan's style, and as poorly as Cheechoo has performed, he also has a history as a goalscorer. Yes, it was only one year, and it was a total fluke. But Donovan's best year was 18 goals (1/3 of Cheechoo's best). In a series where Ottawa is lacking serious finish around the net, I think putting Cheechoo in is the right move. His potential upside is greater than Donovan's.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Well Jon, all I can say is that the 4th line role is not to score. Donovan has good hands and he is way better suited to be on the 4th line than Cheechoo. We need scoring yes but it is our 1st & 2nd lines that need to pick things up. Cheechoo is slow and has lost any touch he may have had in the past. He would be a 4th liner at best but I prefer Donovans experience and speed.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

True, but the way our 1st and second line are missing their chances, we need the third and fourth to chip in goals. It's certainly not an ideal situation. It would be great to have Michalek and Kovalev in the lineup, along with the Spezza from 2 months ago who didn't make ridiculous drop passes every time he entered the zone. But, given the circumstances, I think Clouston is really hoping Cheechoo will come up motivated to prove everyone in hockey wrong. If he plays well he may get some time creating traffic in front on the 2nd PP unit. It may also act as a bit of a kick in the pants for the rest of the team. Bringing in Cheechoo you are definitely telling your players that they need to step it up.

Thread Information