100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Smile What's your connection?

Everybody's always talking about WITB. What about how you grip WITB?

I've always thought that one of the coolest things I've ever seen in golf is the display of lifesize bronze casts of the grips of the legends of golf (Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, etc.) at the British Golf Museum in St. Andrews.

Here's how I grip it, while I rip it.

Show us how you connect to WITB.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by LobWedge; 04-10-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    seriously, i have a baseball grip.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    seriously, i have a baseball grip.
    Then the first thing you need to do is change to either an overlap or interlock, IF your goal is to get down to a scratch handicap (as you have indicated in earlier threads).

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Then the first thing you need to do is change to either an overlap or interlock, IF your goal is to get down to a scratch handicap (as you have indicated in earlier threads).
    I disagree. There is nothing wrong with a baseball grip (I use one in fact). I have small hands (I wear the smallest mens glove that is made) and the interlock or overlap just don't work for me. Several pros have used it, while it is not that common at that level. Moe Norman being one.

whatever works for you.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I disagree. There is nothing wrong with a baseball grip (I use one in fact). I have small hands (I wear the smallest mens glove that is made) and the interlock or overlap just don't work for me. Several pros have used it, while it is not that common at that level. Moe Norman being one.

whatever works for you.
    You can disagree all you want, it's just not as likely to produce golf to your greatest potential.

It's like if you played crosshanded. I know a guy who does just that, and plays for a living. BUT would you advocate it? Of course not, not to a guy who's just starting out.

As for nokids, it's not really a big step to go from baseball (or ten finger) to overlap/interlock. I did it when I was 15, because my pro told me exactly what I'm saying now. And he was right. I would never play as good as my true potential.

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar

whatever works for you.
    +1...I have small hands too. Tried other grips...makes it feel like I'm going let go of the club. It's what I'm comfortable with and have seen improvement in my game despite the "non-conventional grip" so I'm fine with being different.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

whatever works for you.
    ditto.

and i swing like a champion.

I did it the other way. I started golf around 10 playing Interlock and it just never felt right. I switched when I was about 18 and never looked back.

i've used the baseball grip as far back as i can remember. it feels right. interlock just feels weird.

i've used the baseball grip as far back as i can remember. it feels right. interlock just feels weird.
    Overlap!!!!

I'm just saying, it's your stated goal to improve your golf game by a large measure. You might have to do some things differently in order to achieve your goals.

I believe it was Ben Hogan who said "If it's comfortable, it's wrong."

Overlap!!!!

I'm just saying, it's your stated goal to improve your golf game by a large measure. You might have to do some things differently in order to achieve your goals.

I believe it was Ben Hogan who said "If it's comfortable, it's wrong."
    Why do u think this?

Why do u think this?
    Do you mean my comment about nokids maybe needing to assess his grip style in order to reach his stated goal of becoming a scratch handicap?

Do you mean my comment about nokids maybe needing to assess his grip style in order to reach his stated goal of becoming a scratch handicap?
    yes.

yes.
    The simple answer is, because the vast vast majority of good golfers do it.

I know, there are unorthodox ways of playing the game, but there are also certain fundamentals that are key to establishing that foundation that you need to play good golf.

I'm not ragging on you for having a baseball grip. Like I said, I used to have one too. It's just (exceptions aside) easier to reach one's potential if the fundamentals are the strongest possible.

well, my baseball grip is identical to your grip except that my pinky doesn't do that lock thing underneath. so i don't really see why it's such a big deal to lock those fingers. my club doesn't slip out of my hands when i swing. it feels good.

well, my baseball grip is identical to your grip except that my pinky doesn't do that lock thing underneath. so i don't really see why it's such a big deal to lock those fingers. my club doesn't slip out of my hands when i swing. it feels good.
    You don't have to lock the fingers. Have you ever tried the overlap grip?

Anyways, I don't want to try and push you to do anything.

I don't think the club slips out of anyone's hands who uses the interlock grip, though!

I don't think the club slips out of anyone's hands who uses the interlock grip, though!
    i dont mind trying out new grips, do you have any links to some instructional pages i could check out? thanks.

i dont mind trying out new grips, do you have any links to some instructional pages i could check out? thanks.
    I don't.

Just grip a club like you normally do. Now slide your right pinkie so that it rests in between your left index and middle fingers. Done. That's the overlap grip.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The simple answer is, because the vast vast majority of good golfers do it.

I know, there are unorthodox ways of playing the game, but there are also certain fundamentals that are key to establishing that foundation that you need to play good golf.. It's just (exceptions aside) easier to reach one's potential if the fundamentals are the strongest possible.
    Perhaps it would be more meaningful if you explained WHY an overlap grip is better. A little understanding goes a long way.

An interlock may be fine for a golfer with smallish fingers but for those with large hands and knuckles, it's awkward. For those golfers who tend to push or fade the ball, a 10 finger grip allows the hands to square up the face a little faster than the others. Obviously then, an overlap grip would be better for those who tend to hook the ball.

For 12 of my 50 years of golf, I used a 10 finger grip and hovered in the +1 to 2 range over that time and so to suggest that this kind of grip is an impediment to good golf, is a slight exaggeration. I returned to an overlap grip last season as I was hooking but discovered that the cause was a left thumb problem, not the kind of grip. The worst reason for using a particular kind of grip is because every one else is using it.

If it works, it's right.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

C'mon folks! That's why I started the thread.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Perhaps it would be more meaningful if you explained WHY an overlap grip is better. A little understanding goes a long way.

An interlock may be fine for a golfer with smallish fingers but for those with large hands and knuckles, it's awkward. For those golfers who tend to push or fade the ball, a 10 finger grip allows the hands to square up the face a little faster than the others. Obviously then, an overlap grip would be better for those who tend to hook the ball.

For 12 of my 50 years of golf, I used a 10 finger grip and hovered in the +1 to 2 range over that time and so to suggest that this kind of grip is an impediment to good golf, is a slight exaggeration. I returned to an overlap grip last season as I was hooking but discovered that the cause was a left thumb problem, not the kind of grip. The worst reason for using a particular kind of grip is because every one else is using it.

If it works, it's right.
    (exceptions aside) I disagree

trust me, when you have small hands, every finger on the club is important. It's hard to explain if you don't, and it just feels right.

(exceptions aside) I disagree
    You disagree that it would be more meaningful if you explained why an overlap grip is better?

You disagree that a 10 finger grips tends to square up the face a little faster than the overlap? How many years of experience did you have using a 10 finger grip?

The comment about the interlock and small fingers comes from Jack Nicklaus.

Would you recommend Hogan's grip in order for the average golfer to achieve their greatest potential? It worked for him but would it work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    You disagree that it would be more meaningful if you explained why an overlap grip is better?

You disagree that a 10 finger grips tends to square up the face a little faster than the overlap? How many years of experience did you have using a 10 finger grip?

The comment about the interlock and small fingers comes from Jack Nicklaus.

Would you recommend Hogan's grip in order for the average golfer to achieve their greatest potential? It worked for him but would it work for you?
    I disagree that telling a 20-handicapper that his 10-finger grip is a-ok, IF his desire is to improve and improve greatly. That was the basis for my original comments.

I have no idea whether the ten-finger grip allows the clubface to square faster. It makes sense, but so does trying to get some instruction that would render that problem moot. If the 20-handicapper improved his overall swing and started to come into the ball close to perfect, but the 10-finger grip started making him hook the ball, what then?

The comments from Nicklaus re. small fingers and the interlock grip are some that I've never heard. However, you'll notice that I haven't written anything regarding the interlock grip, since I don't use it. I don't have anything useful to say about it.

Finally, I had approximately 7 years experience using the ten finger grip (8 to 15 years old). Then I changed to overlap. The last time I kept a valid handicap, it was +4.5 (since we're comparing). That was over 10 years ago.

For crying out loud people! Put them back in your pants!

Sometimes I don't know why I bother...

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

Just trying to help a dude with his grip

trust me, when you have small hands, every finger on the club is important. It's hard to explain if you don't, and it just feels right.
    I get what you're saying. I don't know what it's like to have small hands, ergo won't comment on it.

Don't know if nokids has the same issue...I guess I never asked.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

Yup, all your fault!!!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I meant this to be a visual thread. If you're trying to help someone with their grip, by all means post the pics to show us what you mean. That's the whole point of the thread.

Attached Images

Thread Information