100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Im pretty sure that Moe Norman used a ten finger grip.... and hit it pretty well. I think that you can play good golf with either of the three grips. Heck Jim Furyk has a double overlap grip and he hits it not bad either. The only danger of using the interlock grip is if you "jam" your fingers together and get the club too much in the palm of the hands and in too strong of a position.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    Im pretty sure that Moe Norman used a ten finger grip.... and hit it pretty well. I think that you can play good golf with either of the three grips. Heck Jim Furyk has a double overlap grip and he hits it not bad either. The only danger of using the interlock grip is if you "jam" your fingers together and get the club too much in the palm of the hands and in too strong of a position.
    Moe began his career with a "normal" overlap and changed to 10 fingers later, perhaps near the time he became affiliated with Natural Golf, around 1995. I don't understand why having the grip in the palm of the hands, particularly the right/bottom hand, is so bad. I used an single axis swing for 12 years, had a palm grip, lost no distance and gained accuracy.

IMO, the problem with any grip occurs close to and during the transition. There is significant pressure on the left wrist and particularly the left thumb. Often the left thumb slides on the shaft or the last joint actually bends and when "regripped" causes directional problems. As you move from a 10 finger grip to the single overlap to a double overlap, more of the heel pad is on the left thumb, decreasing the chances of slippage. Of course, with any of the grips, if the golfers used the "long thumb" position, slippage should not occur. All a golfer has to do is look at his grips and determine IF there is a wear pattern. If there is, there is slippage, and adjustments should be made to prevent this.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    BCMist

Notice that I said "too much" in the palm of the hand. When I look at the picture of your right hand grip it appears that you grip the club from the first joint of the right hand index finger and runs across the knuckle of the baby finger. Take a look at the link that I posted and look at the second picture and that is what I meant by too much in the palm of the hand.
    http://chestofbooks.com/sports/golf/...ss-Part-3.html
    Grip it anyway you want as long as you can control the clubface and the path of the club!!

Thread Information