CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road

Ball Contact with Driver

I'm having a problem this year with my driver. For some reason I keep hitting the ball on the upper part of the driver face instead of in the center. This is at the range so it might just be that the rubber tees are too high compared to how I tee the ball, but I'm curious if there's another reason, or if anyone can think of a fix.

Hitting the ball here is causing my drives to look like 200 yard 9 iron shots. The ball goes extremely high in the air, but still relatively straight. I typically hit the ball 270-280.

Any thoughts?

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    I'm having a problem this year with my driver. For some reason I keep hitting the ball on the upper part of the driver face instead of in the center. This is at the range so it might just be that the rubber tees are too high compared to how I tee the ball, but I'm curious if there's another reason, or if anyone can think of a fix.

Hitting the ball here is causing my drives to look like 200 yard 9 iron shots. The ball goes extremely high in the air, but still relatively straight. I typically hit the ball 270-280.

Any thoughts?
    Early season form + rubber tees.

Try hovering your driver. Don't make it a habit if it's not something you normally do, but just to put your mind at ease this once. You'll figure it out.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    My guess would be that you are coming into the ball on too much of a decending angle. Go see a CPGA pro with access to a Flightscope or Trackman that will be able to tell you your angle of attack. If I am correct and you are hitting the ball on the downswing, learning to hit the ball on the upswing will turn those 270-280 drives into 300+ with the same swing speed. Im assuming that your swing speed is in the 110-115 mph range.

Hopes this helps.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Unless you are literally getting under the ball causing skymarks, simply hitting towards the top of the face will not take 70 yards off your drives. Does it feel "clunky" when you hit it? Sounds like you are losing your lag angle and allowing the clubhead to get ahead of the hands before contact. As mentioned a trip to a pro with video will figure it out quick enough.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    bang on. I read through this document http://kevinhaime.com/_documents/august08_fgm_tip.pdf and really concentrated on keeping the club as an extention of my straight left arm (Get on plane tip). This make my arc wider, in turn keeping the driver from coming in steep. Hit the ball Saturday/Sunday straighter than ever, and kept it low.

Thanks for the tips, and yes, if I couldn't figure it out myself after the weekend I'd be back visiting my CPGA professional.

Thread Information