100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge dcomartin is on a distinguished road dcomartin's Avatar

Mizuno Fitting FYI

Just had my first fitting yesterday with the Mizuno Rep (who was great) at the GolfTown in Kitchener.

For all lefties about to get a Mizuno fitting, they do not currently have the shaft optimizer available. As he put it, it takes a lot of the guess work out of finding the right shaft. IMO, not having the shaft optimizer, which I was looking forward to, did not hinder the fitting. I tried several shafts in the MP-52 and MX-200. I ended up getting 4,5,6 iron in MX-200 and 7,8,9,PW in MP-52. All with 1degree up. All with GS95 R300 shaft. Standard Length. Midsize grip.

Overall, great experience and I am really happy about getting fitted. I was most surrpised about the grip size. I have always used a regular sized grip and never thought much about my middle finger of my back hand digging into my palm/thumb. Turns out I needed a bigger grip. Who knew?
    [B][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

9 Iron Luciogod is on a distinguished road

In ottawa?

Do you know if they will do some fitting in one of the GT in Ottawa?

Gap Wedge dcomartin is on a distinguished road dcomartin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciogod View Post
    Do you know if they will do some fitting in one of the GT in Ottawa?
    Check out:
    http://mizunocda.com.webhosting.path...rea_list.asp?5

It doesn't have Ottawa listed. They might have already gone by that area? Might want to contact Mizuno. I drove from Windsor to Kitchener since they didn't have a public fitting in my area. Plus I had some gift cards at GT and that was the closest one doing the fittings.
    [B][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    They were in Ottawa last Dec (15th I think). Got fitted at the Trainyards location.

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    This rep was at GolfTown East (Trainyards) on April 1 (or was supposed to be there, according to Steve at that store) and in Kanata sometime in March. I believe he's reachable through GolfTown. I'm interested in some new Zuno's but am going to wait til midseason or so.
    Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful woman - and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air. - Jack Benny

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar
    I tried it about a month ago at GT Kanata and the shaft optimizer was pretty cool. Took 3 swings with the the gadget on the shaft and then the Mizzy guy hooked it up to the computer and it spit out the 2 best options for my swing. One was TT and the other PX. He then put the TT shaft in and I hit 4 balls and he asked me how I liked it on a scale of 1-10 and I found it heavy so said it was a 6/10. He then put the PX shaft in and I hit 4 balls and the dispersion was tighter and I liked the feel way better so that was the shaft for me. Pretty cool IMO. I then did the lie board thing and he was bang on that I should be 2 degrees up with a 1/4 inch extension. Very fast and efficient, highly recommend to anyone who wants to play better golf. Getting properly fitted was the best thing I could have done to help improve my chances of getting my HC lower, can't believe I took this long to do it.
    If you're not wasted...the day is!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59 View Post
    I tried it about a month ago at GT Kanata and the shaft optimizer was pretty cool. Took 3 swings with the the gadget on the shaft and then the Mizzy guy hooked it up to the computer and it spit out the 2 best options for my swing. One was TT and the other PX. He then put the TT shaft in and I hit 4 balls and he asked me how I liked it on a scale of 1-10 and I found it heavy so said it was a 6/10. He then put the PX shaft in and I hit 4 balls and the dispersion was tighter and I liked the feel way better so that was the shaft for me. Pretty cool IMO. I then did the lie board thing and he was bang on that I should be 2 degrees up with a 1/4 inch extension. Very fast and efficient, highly recommend to anyone who wants to play better golf. Getting properly fitted was the best thing I could have done to help improve my chances of getting my HC lower, can't believe I took this long to do it.

Very interesting

Intrigued on how a lie board test determined a 1/4'' extention of whatever lenght of whatever club you used for the test. Now, is that 2* up for that particular club, or 2* up for all the clubs. I ask this because I am assuming that because this fitting was " fast and effecient " you only swung one club in the testing. Also wondering the club you swung for the lie test was the one with the shaft you picked and the extra 1/4" of lenght ?

Oh, one more thing. You took 3 swings with a gadget attached to a club, witch I beleive is a Mizuno test club of sorts, and a computer spit out 2 shaft recomendations?

I was wondering if there were more shafts other than the 2 that the computer picked for you to choose from.

One last thing. Really, this is it, you mentioned shot dispersion. This fitting was done at GT, with one of their simulators ?

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Very interesting

Intrigued on how a lie board test determined a 1/4'' extention of whatever lenght of whatever club you used for the test. Now, is that 2* up for that particular club, or 2* up for all the clubs. I ask this because I am assuming that because this fitting was " fast and effecient " you only swung one club in the testing. Also wondering the club you swung for the lie test was the one with the shaft you picked and the extra 1/4" of lenght ?

Oh, one more thing. You took 3 swings with a gadget attached to a club, witch I beleive is a Mizuno test club of sorts, and a computer spit out 2 shaft recomendations?

I was wondering if there were more shafts other than the 2 that the computer picked for you to choose from.

One last thing. Really, this is it, you mentioned shot dispersion. This fitting was done at GT, with one of their simulators ?

I had done the lie board thing a few times before by different pro's and always got the same answer that I was 2 up and 1/4" longer so I was just happy that his OPINION was the same as the ones I had gotten before. Those are the specs on ALL my irons and wedges and I hit the ball great with those specs. I should note that I did the lie board test AFTER figuring out which shaft was best for me.
    I'm pretty sure the computer only RECOMMENDED 2 different types of shafts which we're S300's soft-stepped or PX 5.0.
    Yes I was hitting balls into the simulator, I don't believe there were any ranges open yet and this was a FREEBIE so it didn't cost me anything but my time.
    I hit 4 balls with the S300 and found it heavy. The dispersion was fine but I just wasn't crazy about the "feel". I then hit 4 shots with the PX 5.0 shaft and it felt so much better "for me" and the dispersion was a little tighter. I thought it was a cool experience but I am no means an expert but it at least gave me an idea of what I liked or didn't like.
    I understand there are other ways to be fit and some may or may not be better than others but I felt like I benefitted from it so that is all that really matters IMO. I eventually plan on getting a new set of irons and they will definitely be 2 up and 1/4" longer as ususal and I will probably try the 5.0's in them and see what happens. Hope I was able to help.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59 View Post
    I had done the lie board thing a few times before by different pro's and always got the same answer that I was 2 up and 1/4" longer so I was just happy that his OPINION was the same as the ones I had gotten before. Those are the specs on ALL my irons and wedges and I hit the ball great with those specs. I should note that I did the lie board test AFTER figuring out which shaft was best for me.
    I'm pretty sure the computer only RECOMMENDED 2 different types of shafts which we're S300's soft-stepped or PX 5.0.
    Yes I was hitting balls into the simulator, I don't believe there were any ranges open yet and this was a FREEBIE so it didn't cost me anything but my time.
    I hit 4 balls with the S300 and found it heavy. The dispersion was fine but I just wasn't crazy about the "feel". I then hit 4 shots with the PX 5.0 shaft and it felt so much better "for me" and the dispersion was a little tighter. I thought it was a cool experience but I am no means an expert but it at least gave me an idea of what I liked or didn't like.
    I understand there are other ways to be fit and some may or may not be better than others but I felt like I benefitted from it so that is all that really matters IMO. I eventually plan on getting a new set of irons and they will definitely be 2 up and 1/4" longer as ususal and I will probably try the 5.0's in them and see what happens. Hope I was able to help.
    Thanks for your feedback. You have proved a point that I strongly beleive in, that every golfer has their own unique sense of feel. Those are two very different feeling shafts.

On the issue of lenght and lie. It seems each OEM has there own pre determined set of specs as for what they each consider to be "STANDARD". Let's say you were looking at another brand with different STANDARD specs, how would you proceed ?

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. You have proved a point that I strongly beleive in, that every golfer has their own unique sense of feel. Those are two very different feeling shafts.

On the issue of lenght and lie. It seems each OEM has there own pre determined set of specs as for what they each consider to be "STANDARD". Let's say you were looking at another brand with different STANDARD specs, how would you proceed ?

Yeah the feel thing is just like in hockey. I've always been a guy with "soft" hands so I always used a lighter stick. I found the heavier the stick I would use the less I could "feel" the puck on the end of the stick when I was stickhandling. The 5.0's definitely "feel" lighter and better to me.

On the issue of lie and length I just have whatever I buy bent to MY specs. Now I honestly don't know if 2up and 1/4" is EXACTLY what I'm supposed to be but I do know that I hit the ball SO MUCH better with those specs that I do with standard L/L/L. Take it easy.
    Jeff

Thread Information