100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    3 Wood Slicer&Dicer is on a distinguished road
    mberube:

Maybe you are right, we'll see in 50 years from now, lol....
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer&Dicer View Post
    He doesn't handle defeat well. I love the Pouty Tiger, means he lost.

Maybe this is his way of being totally honest of what he feels inside and maybe it's part of what makes his game so great, i.e. nothing is good enough. For some reason, I don't think he would have really been happy even if he had won.

I believe that he will never show the grace of a true champion in defeat which is why he will never be respected and loved as much as other champions.

Maybe that's also why some of us suspect that he will never change.
    Agreed... frankly I thought the interviewer was giving Tiger the chance to do a little more damage control and say the tournament was run beautifully, the fan support touched him, yadda yadda yadda.... and instead he pouted. I thought he was smarter than that.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

another tiger basher...

Wow... the Head Greenkeeper calling Tiger a spoiled brat? And he did not say that exactly.
    The best should expect the best...he was dissapointed in his game... not a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    You should work for the Golf Channel.

Did you miss the spoiled brat's interview after his round? Pathetic. "I came to win and I didn't I'm taking my golf ball and going home."
    Bite, Bite!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Am I not supposed to express an opinion?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
    Jack and Tom.

Are they losers?
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    I dont hate the guy. I liked the shot he made on #9 on thursday.

What I do hate is that all the media thinks there is only one golfer on the planet. I hate the fact on thursday at The Masters, 70% of the show was Tiger and then they split the other air time between 143 other players. I know its not his fault but you wanted to know. This has been posted before and will again.

There should be 2 TV feeds at all PGA events even when Tiger is not in the field. A new golf channel that will show EVERY golfer, including ALL the contenders, the favorites. Then TCG can change their name to "The Tiger Channel" and continue on its suckup traditionnal ways!!
    What i would like to see is something similar to car racing and hockey on TV today. You have one screen with 6 different camera feeds and you pick the player or hole you want to follow. Shouldn't be difficult.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Apparently he hasn't learned anything...still
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Can someone please explain to me the logical link between Tiger's off course behaviour and his on course behaviour?

By that I mean, why should he change his on course behaviour, simply because his off course behaviour was poor? He is the best golfer in the world, and emotion has always been a part of that. I know not everybody approved of his emotional outbursts, but they were part of what made him great. So, why should he change his on-course behaviour? The connection between the two is limited at best. He's been an emotional golfer for a lot longer than he's been a philanderer. Seems like people are trying to use this sex scandal as an argument for changing all the other unrelated things that they didn't like about him. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Many who cut him some slack regarding his on couse behaviour are no longer willing to do so.
    He has an image to fix and it may not be possible. He needs to take all the right steps and then 3 more.

The best thing he can do to fix his image is to win, and remind people why they cheered for him in the first place. Changing the way he plays is not going to do that. He needs to be Tiger.

I expect he can still play golf. Can he become the person he claimed to be? I have my doubts so I cut him less slack now.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Can someone please explain to me the logical link between Tiger's off course behaviour and his on course behaviour?

By that I mean, why should he change his on course behaviour, simply because his off course behaviour was poor? He is the best golfer in the world, and emotion has always been a part of that. I know not everybody approved of his emotional outbursts, but they were part of what made him great. So, why should he change his on-course behaviour? The connection between the two is limited at best. He's been an emotional golfer for a lot longer than he's been a philanderer. Seems like people are trying to use this sex scandal as an argument for changing all the other unrelated things that they didn't like about him. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
    It was Tiger himself that said he was going to change his behaviour.......

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    jonf I am going to have to agree with you. I want to see that emotion out of Tiger; that's what made it fun to watch him. There was nothing better than when he slung that shot around the trees and made birdie. I couldn't help but think "he's back" after I watched him pull it off. I have said this a couple of times, I coudn't care less what Tiger is about outside of his golf game. I enjoy watching him play golf because he's amazing at what he does and there are very few if anyone on the planet that can pull off some of the shots he does.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    jonf I am going to have to agree with you. I want to see that emotion out of Tiger; that's what made it fun to watch him. There was nothing better than when he slung that shot around the trees and made birdie. I couldn't help but think "he's back" after I watched him pull it off. I have said this a couple of times, I coudn't care less what Tiger is about outside of his golf game. I enjoy watching him play golf because he's amazing at what he does and there are very few if anyone on the planet that can pull off some of the shots he does.
    If you play golf down the middle of the fairways then you wouldn't need these miracle shots from trouble all the time and your emotions would be in check.

I think there are other guys on the tour that can pull the same shots from trouble when needed. Look at shots Phil and Anthony Kim made during the masters.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    It was Tiger himself that said he was going to change his behaviour.......
    Nobody can change in one day or one tournament.

Emotions are what make golf entertaining. Don't tell me you like to watch someone boring like Goosen?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    All this attention he's getting because of this scandal seems too much. I only watch him because of his golf, whatever he does besides that is none of my business. I don't care how he acts on the course either, it just amuses me. In the end I just want to see him hit the ball.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Are you young enough that you never watched any televised golf before Tiger came along? If so you missed many golfers who could pull off amazing shots. Do you think Jack won 18 Majors by not being able to escape trouble? Or Arnie, or Gary Player, Tom Watson, Lee Trevino, etc etc.

As for him being "BACK", do you not think he was practicing hard, playing rounds of golf at home before he came to Augusta?
    He was as prepared for this tournament as well as anyone else who teed it up on Thursday. He is supposed to be the player who is mentally the toughest in the game. So he should have been prepared. He knows the course, the greens etc.

Now, onto "Tiger's Emotion that you and Jonf talk about.

Emotion is one thing. Cursing after a bad shot is another. When Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer tell him to show more respect for the game (Which they did) then IMO Tiger needs to listen.

Let's face it the facts. He is supposed to be a role model for young golfers. Cursing, slamming clubs on the ground after a bad shot is not showing emotion. It is showing disrespect for the game of golf. His gesture he made after making birdie on the 72nd hole was uncalled for.

He isn't playing with his buddies on the local municipal course. He is on the PGA Tour, in front of huge galleries and being covered by national television stations. Cursing and club slamming have no place in professional golf. Or in our golf for that matter.

Have you ever seen the Head Pro at your golf course (If you belong to a course and it has a Head Pro) curse and slam clubs on the ground? How long do you think he/she would have their jobs at a private club if they behaved like that? I have played with the Head Pro at my course and have never seen him slam a club or curse after he missed a shot.

Dan is right, he pouted after his round. He needs to grow up. The world does not revolve around Tiger Woods any longer, nor does professional golf for that matter.

People seem to think if he left golf right now that the tour would die. Not a chance. Would purses drop? Maybe, but would Tiger's absence be the reason? Not likely. Economics play a huge part in the purses.

People on this forum seem to think I am an outright "TIGER HATER". They are wrong. I am however an outright "Tiger's Attitude Hater" And trust me folks I am not the only one who thinks like that. Of the 3 guys I golfed with over the weekend only one wanted him to win. Other members of the course I belong to were happy not to see him win.

I for one am glad Phil won this tournament. I am happy that his wife and family were there to watch him win. When he hugged Amy after that round, that alone was worth watching the tournament. I hope Phil goes on to win another Major this year, either the U.S. Open or The Open Championship. Maybe he can go on to win THE SLAM The Phil Slam, has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Last edited by Golfbum; 04-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Are you young enough that you never watched any televised golf before Tiger came along? If so you missed many golfers who could pull off amazing shots. Do you think Jack won 18 Majors by not being able to escape trouble? Or Arnie, or Gary Player, Tom Watson, Lee Trevino, etc etc.

As for him being "BACK", do you not think he was practicing hard, playing rounds of golf at home before he came to Augusta?
    He was as prepared for this tournament as well as anyone else who teed it up on Thursday. He is supposed to be the player who is mentally the toughest in the game. So he should have been prepared. He knows the course, the greens etc.

Now, onto "Tiger's Emotion that you and Jonf talk about.

Emotion is one thing. Cursing after a bad shot is another. When Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer tell him to show more respect for the game (Which they did) then IMO Tiger needs to listen.

Let's face it the facts. He is supposed to be a role model for young golfers. Cursing, slamming clubs on the ground after a bad shot is not showing emotion. It is showing disrespect for the game of golf. His gesture he made after making birdie on the 72nd hole was uncalled for.

He isn't playing with his buddies on the local municipal course. He is on the PGA Tour, in front of huge galleries and being covered by national television stations. Cursing and club slamming have no place in professional golf. Or in our golf for that matter.

Have you ever seen the Head Pro at your golf course (If you belong to a course and it has a Head Pro) curse and slam clubs on the ground? How long do you think he/she would have their jobs at a private club if they behaved like that? I have played with the Head Pro at my course and have never seen him slam a club or curse after he missed a shot.

Dan is right, he pouted after his round. He needs to grow up. The world does not revolve around Tiger Woods any longer, nor does professional golf for that matter.

People seem to think if he left golf right now that the tour would die. Not a chance. Would purses drop? Maybe, but would Tiger's absence be the reason? Not likely. Economics play a huge part in the purses.

People on this forum seem to think I am an outright "TIGER HATER". They are wrong. I am however an outright "Tiger's Attitude Hater" And trust me folks I am not the only one who thinks like that. Of the 3 guys I golfed with over the weekend only one wanted him to win. Other members of the course I belong to were happy not to see him win.

I for one am glad Phil won this tournament. I am happy that his wife and family were there to watch him win. When he hugged Amy after that round, that alone was worth watching the tournament. I hope Phil goes on to win another Major this year, either the U.S. Open or The Open Championship. Maybe he can go on to win THE SLAM The Phil Slam, has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

I am pressed for time, but I must respond to just one thing:

Please do not compare anyone but Jack Nicklaus to Tiger Woods. Tiger has EASILY surpassed Watson, Trevino, and Palmer, and in an era where the depth of fields is so much stronger.

And I was cheering for Phil...

Yes I have watched plenty of golf before Tiger, and let me tell you it was pretty damn boring to watch compared to the golf we see today. Please send me the video of jack hitting a 30 yard hook around forest to land 10 feet right behind the pin at Augusta no less and I will agree with you. I agree that those players can get out of trouble and can play the game better than 99% of the field today. But if you think they could pull off Tiger's top ten best shots you my friend you are rather naive. I agree all of those players are GREAT players and all great players can get out of trouble...but I don't believe any of them could pull off some of the shots that Tiger has thus far in his career. That's what makes it fun to watch him!

As for him being "BACK", do you not think he was practicing hard, playing rounds of golf at home before he came to Augusta? He was as prepared for this tournament as well as anyone else who teed it up on Thursday. He is supposed to be the player who is mentally the toughest in the game. So he should have been prepared. He knows the course, the greens etc.
    I would agree if it wasn't Augusta or any other major for that matter. Practicing and playing competitively are two completely different things. So if what you are saying is true...then Tiger and Phil wouldn't need to play tournaments leading up to the Majors to get ready. They could just play their home course and hit the range and no worries? Come on man...Butch himself said that Phil has played tournaments leading up to the Masters playing shots that he would play at Augusta even if they were the wrong ones for that particular situation. That's part of the reason the Shell Houston sets their course up like that, because they know guys want to play leading up to the Masters.

I am not saying he wasn't prepared, but not playing before really hurt him.

I personally know that 99% of the people I have played with have cursed and slammed clubs when they play golf at one time or another (some quite often). So I find it hypocritical for anyone who plays golf and says that's its disrespectful to the game. Maybe I am assuming because I don't know you but I imagine you have done it once in your life.

I think the whole "Tiger Woods you suck...God Damn it" was completely over blown.

There are a lot of PGA Tour golfers that curse on the golf course, they just don't get caught doing it. So does that make it ok? I once heard Pavin lose his mind after a tee shot at the Canadian Open and I heard his curse from another hole. Does that make Pavin a villain? I don't think so...that's golf, it's hard.

That's a fair comparisson.

The guy was **...perhaps it was pouting, perhaps he was just saying how he felt. What difference does it make...he lost the tournament and wasn't happy about it.

Agreed...

sorry for the long post.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Nobody can change in one day or one tournament.

Emotions are what make golf entertaining. Don't tell me you like to watch someone boring like Goosen?
    I think i like all golfing styles. I like to see different players having different strategies and approach the game differently. But i'm a purist...... fairways in reg and greens in reg.... that's my game. I'd rather watch Goosen than some jerk player.
    Last edited by btasse; 04-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Funny how this thread ( I can finaly watch golf) has quickly turned into a Tiger discussion .

The reason he can "finaly watch golf" is that Tiger was in the field.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    As you well know, and has been documented , I have never believed in Tiger's finely polished image. Based on my personal experiences, I don't like the man, and have no respect for him. He is a great golfer and will win again when he gets around to it, however I will continue to cheer against him, as I do the Leafs!

I really believe that Tiger will only change when he WANTS to change. And frankly, I don't really care if he does or not. If he wants to remain a ho-monger, then that is what he will do. If Elin wishes to remain in the marraige while he does so, then that is her choice. It's really no business of mine. Just don't pretend to be something that he is not. There may be fewer endorsements, however he would at least be honest with himself and his fans. I could respect that honesty, if not the man.

I expect he can still play golf. Can he become the person he claimed to be? I have my doubts so I cut him less slack now.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Just don't pretend to be something that he is not. There may be fewer endorsements, however he would at least be honest with himself and his fans. I could respect that honesty, if not the man.
    Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

The hypocrisy that is TW hasn't ended. The Nike commercial is a good example. He says he wants to keep his personal life personal and then turns around and makes a commercial using his dead father's voice and his personal circumstances to shill for Nike.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Come on, let's all be honest.

For the next Major, what we really want is a knock-em, sock-em, no holes barred, cat scratching, fur flying, drag em out, shot for shot, brawl of match (and that's just between Tiger's other ladies).

Would make a hell of a pre-game show, lol...

Anyone say pay-per-view?
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

The reason he can "finaly watch golf" is that Tiger was in the field.
    Ah...... The Tiger Bobble Heads are watching golf again......

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Ah...... The Tiger Bobble Heads are watching golf again......
    Dont forget they have been dormant longer this winter than the rest of the golf world
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Funny how this thread ( I can finaly watch golf) has quickly turned into a Tiger discussion .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    I can't believe no one on this forum has commented on Tiger's round!
    That huge 30 yard hook to hit the green...
    Amazing! One the 15... 340 drive.. 191 left... one putt for eagle!
    He would be tied or leading if a couple shot putts dropped!
    So entertaining to watch!
    The OP was about Tiger and now that he's playing golf is entertaining to watch. So it's really always been a Tiger discussion.

Probably all the Tiger fans shut their TV's after he was done playing...... Nobody else is good enough to watch right.....

Thread Information