100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road

Coming out of my posture

Hi everyone,

I am a rookie golfer (second season) in my mid 30s. Really loving the game - my goal this year is to break 100. However, I'm a little discouraged after my first round of the year today at Pakenham. I scored well into the triple digits and a lot of it is because I have a subconcious habit of coming out of my posture on the backswing. In other words, I lift up about 2-3 inches, I think at the knees, mostly. Does anyone know of any drills that I can practice to maintain a constant posture throughout or is this one of those mental things that you just have to train your body to remember by practicing?

Thanks

Tony

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Post up your swing and we will have a better idea of what may be causing you lifting motion.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    Post up your swing and we will have a better idea of what may be causing you lifting motion.
    +1

need moar info!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a rookie golfer (second season) in my mid 30s. Really loving the game - my goal this year is to break 100. However, I'm a little discouraged after my first round of the year today at Pakenham. I scored well into the triple digits and a lot of it is because I have a subconcious habit of coming out of my posture on the backswing. In other words, I lift up about 2-3 inches, I think at the knees, mostly. Does anyone know of any drills that I can practice to maintain a constant posture throughout or is this one of those mental things that you just have to train your body to remember by practicing?

Thanks

Tony
    Just a guess, but you probably need to shorten your backswing.

Its a common mistake by rookies that you need a long backswing in order to generate clubhead speed. You're likely coming out of your posture because you have to stand up a little in order to swing your arms back farther. When your lead arm is across your chest and your lead shoulder is level with or behind the ball, your backswing is finished. Anything more is wasted motion that does more harm than good.

As a drill, try the feet-together drill. Swing a club with your feet no more that 6" apart. You'll have to shorten your backswing and swing slower to maintain your balance. You should be able to hit a ball at least 80% of your normal distance with this drill.

AJP007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tony

Welcome to this crazy game called golf.
    I just wanted to give you my thoughts and share my personal story.
    This is my third year of golf. So I am not that far off from you.

Last year, I was scoring in the low 90's (on a good day) and high 90's (on so-so days) and low 100's on bad days. But here's the thing, I couldn't tell you why I shot a 92 or 95 or 105. I was doing the same thing. So it was just dumb ass luck.

This winter I worked out with Marc Levac daily and I have to tell you that all we worked on for the month of December was posture. That's it! The posture (and its connection to maintaining the back knee flex) is the most important fundamental to get right. And its not as simple as someone telling you to stick your butt out, or get lower etc etc.

Once you get your posture, your takeaway (with a proper grip), your swing plane, etc....will be easier to get inline. Infact, it will probably fall into place without much effort.

So, good for you to recognize this early in your journey. But, without ANY disrespect to the good people helping you on this forum, I would take the time to get a lesson with a CPGA Pro and address posture issues earlier, rather than later.

Infact, its possible its not just posture but something else taking you out of your posture.

BTW, my first 2 games this year have been under 90 --- so the right instruction does benefit.
    Last edited by AJP007; 04-07-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Tour Rookie PingMan is on a distinguished road
    Nice, good for you sir!

Thread Information