CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Greensmere - New Holes

For just today and tomorrow, Greensmere GC has opened up the new nine holes to members only. We had the chance to play the complete 18 hole course, which includes the new holes and the "Gold" nine, with all of them in the sequence that will be in effect next season.

While obviously biased in my opinion, the newest 9 holes are just fabulous, particularly the three par 3's, which are all over water. The new course will play longer than the original, some tee shots will demand greater accuracy, water hazards are seriously in play on 7 of the 9 new holes, and overall, it is much more aesthetically pleasing.

It certainly was worth the wait.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Lyle,it looks like its gonna be a great addition to an already great course. Gerry showed us a few par 3's a few years ago that were being built and they looked quite nice with lots of water.Cant wait to play it when it opens to the public.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    I figured it had to be opening soon, even if only to members. They had tee markers and flags out there yesterday when I played. The new holes look really nice.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Greensmere membership looks very attractive.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    If it wasn't so darn far.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    If it wasn't so darn far.
    how long a drive it is for you?
    1/2 hour for me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    same here...it's 45 min from my house.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    All of 10 mins for me, but I decided to join Clublink.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Gap Wedge rando777 is on a distinguished road

The New Nine

Lyle i agree the par 3's are very nice and i love the finishing hole
    Last edited by rando777; 10-05-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Very nice. So what is the routing of the current gold 9 in the new 18? I know the 9 will be split, just wondering which holes they are in the new 18?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    how long a drive it is for you?
    1/2 hour for me.
    45 minutes. Nice course but I can't see anyone living where I live or anywhere east me joining. I'd have trouble going once a year.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Very nice. So what is the routing of the current gold 9 in the new 18? I know the 9 will be split, just wondering which holes they are in the new 18?
    1- Current #5 Gold
    2,3,4,5 - NEW
    6 - #8 Gold
    7 - #7 Gold
    8 - #6 Gold
    9 - #9 Gold

10,11,12,13 currently # 1,2,3,4 Gold.
    14,15,16,17,18 - New

The finish of the course will be both a golfing challenge and appealing to the eye of those who enjoy parkland style golf courses where the holes are cut out of the bush.
    15 - 200 yards over water
    16 - 440 yards into the prevailing wind with a 185 tee shot carry over water needed to make the rough before the fairway
    17 - 165 yards all over water,
    and my favourite hole, 18 - only 495 yards but a tight fairway, with two hazards to negotiate and an approach shot to a tiny green high above the fairway, similar to current #4 Gold.

The par 3's are isolated from the rest of the holes, and surrounded on all four sides by bush, so all you basically see is a green, the tee and the rest is WATER.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Played the new course both days and what a treat. This is definitely going to be a challenging course with some great holes. To me the par 3 17th and par 5 18th are terrific holes. I've included a few pictures that I took yesterday.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Played the new course both days and what a treat. This is definitely going to be a challenging course with some great holes. To me the par 3 17th and par 5 18th are terrific holes. I've included a few pictures that I took yesterday.
    The holes from left to right in Gerry's pics: #17, #15, #16 (Water, water everywhere!!)

Beautiful water holes. I've got the itch to play them before the season is over.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Hi Nokids,
    Unfortunately noone will get to play them now until next season as they opened them for two days only for members and now they'll get back to adding some drainage and fixing a few area up. Next season this 18 will be a treat to play on a regular basis.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics.

I played it yesterday but got rained out at 15 so missed these last holes. I really like the layout. Some pretty tight fairways.

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    I played them on Sunday and again on Monday. Hole #16 played much tougher into a 15 km/h north wind.

I agree with Lyle that the 18th is an excellent finishing hole. I tried to go for the green in 2 during yesterday's round and it was a mistake. It is a tough green to come into with a long fairway wood.

The course is fun and challenging with many character holes. I can't wait to next year.

Bye.
    retread.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Curse my busy schedule and sprained thumb. I would have loved to get to play these this year. Something to look forward to in spring I suppose
    Wannabe Golf

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    All of 10 mins for me, but I decided to join Clublink.
    I'm 4 minutes away. My new membership at Greensmere is going to be really fun next year.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I'm 4 minutes away. My new membership at Greensmere is going to be really fun next year.
    Got ya beat by 2 minutes, unless I have to wait for the deer, wild turkeys or black bears to cross the road.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Got ya beat by 2 minutes, unless I have to wait for the deer, wild turkeys or black bears to cross the road.
    Watch out for the coyote's and occasional pack of wolves as well. Monday night the wolves were howling towards the back of my property while the coyote's were yipping closer, near the abandoned quarry the other way. A few years ago a pack of wolves took down a deer while I was walking my dog - heard the scream and the rustling of the leaves of the pack. Next morning there was nothing but bones and some hide - which a bear took the next night and left a big pile of dung.

Hi Nokids,
    Unfortunately noone will get to play them now until next season as they opened them for two days only for members and now they'll get back to adding some drainage and fixing a few area up. Next season this 18 will be a treat to play on a regular basis.
    awwwwwwwwwwwwww

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Great pics. Are the greens all large? Or just the ones with water in play? I would love to be retired close to a 36 holes course! See you in 2025

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Very nice pics Gerry.Cant wait to play them next year.The colors are really kicking in.Denyse and I might go up for another visit later on.

Anyone heard when they will be opening? I am off on busness next week and hope to play at the end of Easter Weekend (Sunday/Monday) so would like to book this weekend for then. With the new 2-18s opening this spring it will be busy for the start.

They are strangely absent on the 'Openings' page thus far and with the weather looking as good as it does (now) for Easter weekend, I'm getting anxious.

I recall last spring that they did not announce when they would be opening until fairly close (5-7 days) before they actually did open. I can't imagine it will be much longer with the excellent weather earlier this month, and more, even nicer weather on the way next week.

Still, the suspense is killing me. I've been tempted to call or email either Tyler or the pro-shop - anyone done this already?
    Wannabe Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    I recall last spring that they did not announce when they would be opening until fairly close (5-7 days) before they actually did open. I can't imagine it will be much longer with the excellent weather earlier this month, and more, even nicer weather on the way next week.

Still, the suspense is killing me. I've been tempted to call or email either Tyler or the pro-shop - anyone done this already?
    Be patient now, you guys.

I walked most of the course in the last two days realigning and replacing the hazard stakes and the course is still quite surface wet. #13 green, original course, is still completely covered with snow. However, the courses ARE drier now than when I walked them late last fall. Of the greens that I had a look at, all are in excellent shape with no fungus or ice damage. Number 11 (old 2 gold) has no surface water on the fairways indicating that the French drains that were put in last year have done their intended job.

Unless we get a pile of rain, or heaven forbid, snow, it would be great if we could play a bit earlier than usual. That 14 day trend, if it comes to pass, almost assures an earlier opening. It will also be interesting to see what names they have come up with for the naming of the two eighteens contest.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    You should e-mail Tyler as often as you can. I am sure he doesn't have much going on right now and would love to hear more inquiries as to when the course is going to open!

He's a good buddy of mine...

Yes, I'm sure Tyler would just love having to answer more email about when the course will open. I'll make sure to let him know you suggested it

I guess we can cool our jets a bit if there's still snow on the ground Still looking forward to getting out on the course. Thanks for the update, Lyle.
    Wannabe Golf

Thread Information