100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bouche

Need Help choosing the clubs for me.

I want to change my Irons and possibly my 5 wood.

You guys probably know more about what clubs I should be hitting then I do.

Last year I changed my Driver shaft to a Graffaloy Red-X and it did wonders with my ball flight.

But now I am itching for new Irons more then ever. If I do change (more then likely), I need something that can handle my swing.

Any recommendations would be awesome. I wont likely buy any top of the line new sets so I would not get fitted but it would be nice to KNOW what I should be looking for. What kind of Iron shafts as I have never payed any attention to that and should I get them extended? I would prefer a blade style iron.

My Current set of cIrons are the Clevelend TA3 Gunmetal and my guess is that they are standard with stiff shafts.

As for putter I really want the Sabertooth so i will wait for that to go in the for sale thread.

Right now I have a knock-off 5 wood that works great but the ball flight is way too high for me. I would like somethings with more of a lower trajectory which makes me think a 2 iron might be the better way to go but its just a thought.

Any help from any of the guys that have played with me over the years or even played with me would be great!

I would also like to eventually change my putter but that's not urgent.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Never played with you but from what I read(the delofting thread) you hit the ball a long way.

A good start would be to fill out a web form
    Try to know your wrist to floor specs.
    http://www.ping.com/fitting/webfit.aspx

Keep in mind that taller people do not necessarily need longer long irons. They ususally feel uncomfortable with the short irons and wedges. You hit the ball a long way already so you don't really need a longer 3 iron. Therefore you can extend the short irons and leave the mid and long irons alone or have a set built in samller increments i.e .25 difference per club instead of the standard .50

I would try one xstiff shaft from True temper in one of your actual irons. It will be a good indicator as to which way you should go.

I would also do the same with your 5 wood.(i.e xstiff shfat) If you play a course with lofts of obstacle in front of the green or soggy fairways a 5 wood is always a good thing to have unless you can hit the 3 iron with a high trajectory.

One last thing you could have done to your future clubs but you only if they are .370 shafts. Extra tip trimming will stiffen up the shafts considerably and bring the ball down.

Hope this helps and remember to look at my avatar
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 04-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    Any recommendations would be awesome. I wont likely buy any top of the line new sets so I would not get fitted but it would be nice to KNOW what I should be looking for. What kind of Iron shafts as I have never payed any attention to that and should I get them extended?
    Personally I think you could really benefit from a fitting - and for someone of your size and build I think a TLT (true length technology) fitting would be especially beneficial.

At the very least I think you need your wedges extended - you use these clubs a lot and you tend to be hunched over in your setup with a standard length set.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    don iriving is the man you need to speak to
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Put me top of the list when you decide to sell those gunmetals.....
    "Get your smile on!"

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You hit the ball so high and far you can probably handle any shaft so it probably comes down to feel.

I would suggest the FST Pro 125 tipped to X or maybe even a little stiffer. That combo should lower your flight and give you a little better control. The bonus is they are very inexpensive for a very good shaft.

Are you looking for new wedges as well?

Given your length I would set you up with the following:

Driver, 4W, 3i - PW, 52, 56, 60.

If you are interested I could set you up with a trial in my old Wishon blades to see if you like them and then order a new set if you wanted. You can just reuse the shafts.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Head design has the most major effect on trajectory. Woods and irons. Ithink you should focus in this direction first and then choose your shaft. I golfer with your power is wasting time looking at shafts to control trajectory. The velocity created with your swing naturally produces the height in your shots. Your shaft choice should predominently be based on feel preference.

Bouche
    I am so thankful for these tips guys!

I'm going to be trying alot of new things this year. I will consider all your tips on which Irons I should choose.
    Played for the first time today and it felt great. Makes me think why I am even changing my bag lol. I was -1 after finishing 14 @ Casselview but had to quit cause of an easter dinner. Finished birdie, birdie, birdie so now I'm itching to get back out.

Andy, PM sent

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Rumour has it that a local guy with a high swing speed once tried one of Tiger's clubs. He said he could barely get if to go any higher than a 2 storey high building. As you know Tiger's club are beefed up. While clubhead design is a very important factor in ball trajectory I certainly would not discard XX stiff shafts.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Just to put things a little more into perspective, I was with a customer yesterday who's optimum swingspeed was 108 mph with a ball speed of 160 mph. The majority of his face contacts were just above center, ever so slightly towards the toe. He prefered the feel and performance of a shaft that had a 5.8 butt reading with a mid/ soft tip. The lenght was 44.5". The 45" driver face marks were nowhere near as consitant as the 44.5, nor was the ball flight. This guy is 6' 2" with beautifully smooth back swing and transition.

Thread Information