CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road

cleveland gold vs red shafts?

looking for some input on the cleveland red vs gold shafts, as ive decided im going to buy a 2009 cleveland launcher. had one on the monitor at GT today for quite a while and fell in love. i was using a stiff shaft gold and it felt great, alot of shots going very centre, or slighly off and landing it around the 225 mark. more importantly no horrid slices. i have yet to try it in a red shaft but plan on it tomorrow if there's any around and therein lies the problem.

im coming off a 9* rapture that i had way too much of a slice with and just couldnt work it out. i didnt have a horrible time getting if off the ground but there were times i was skimming the ground, but i fought a wicked slice that went very very sideways. for those reasons ive decided that a 10.5* driver would help for now. my probleméquestion is would going with a higher launch shaft on top of a bigger loft also be overkill? its too hard to really judge on those monitors but ultimately ill have to make the choice based off that, but some input from you fine fellas would be nice....

my SS is roughly 92-95 right now but am working with a new swing as i am currently in the middle of a series of lessons so im gonna say 95-100 is roughly where ill be once the season is in full swing.

thanks, and all input welcomed.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I do not mean to be a party pooper but try it outdoors if you can. They have a return policy I believe. I have never missed a fairway in the GT monitor.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood Dan_0 is on a distinguished road Dan_0's Avatar
    not to be rude, but if your slice is "wickedly" bad and you sometimes "skim" your drives off the ground, i would think it won't really matter what kind of shaft you have. sure shafts make a difference but only slightly and when your striking them solidly. i would suggest spending the money on more lessons and worry about switching clubs when you get consistent. if you have a bad slice, take your rapture in and see if they can adjust the face so your slightly closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I do not mean to be a party pooper but try it outdoors if you can. They have a return policy I believe. I have never missed a fairway in the GT monitor.
    thx chief, id love to try it that way optimally.. ill check into it and see what they say, maybe there's a demo kicking around i can try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_0 View Post
    not to be rude, but if your slice is "wickedly" bad and you sometimes "skim" your drives off the ground, i would think it won't really matter what kind of shaft you have. sure shafts make a difference but only slightly and when your striking them solidly. i would suggest spending the money on more lessons and worry about switching clubs when you get consistent. if you have a bad slice, take your rapture in and see if they can adjust the face so your slightly closed.

i had a discussion about this last season with some boardies titled "cure a bad slice" and decided to wait for lessons as advised by numerous people, which ive done and continue to do, however switching drivers is a move endorsed by my instructor if possible. ive actually had some mild success with the driver this year, better than last but its still not for me, i dont enjoy it plain and simple. thx for your input, but id really appreciate some thoughts from some local golfers with experience using these shafts.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    The cleveland red keeps the ball LOW.
    Unless you load hard regardless of swingspeed the gold shaft is a better choice.

Best buy I made for golf was a roll of wide masking tape.
    Tape it up; hit a few at the driving range and decide from that.
    Returns are for unhit clubs so be careful where you put the tape.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    i had a discussion about this last season with some boardies titled "cure a bad slice" and decided to wait for lessons as advised by numerous people, which ive done and continue to do, however switching drivers is a move endorsed by my instructor if possible. ive actually had some mild success with the driver this year, better than last but its still not for me, i dont enjoy it plain and simple. thx for your input, but id really appreciate some thoughts from some local golfers with experience using these shafts.

Too stiff won't help a slice. It is going to start right and keep going right. But a closed offset driver will do more for you than a shft change. I have not tried those shafts but i can assure you from previous experience that will do better with a softer tip shaft and a offset closed face.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Lob Wedge toro57 is on a distinguished road
    I has the red shaft in my hi-bore..Swing speed is between 90 -100...smooth tempo...the red didn't launch it much lower than the gold but it had a more penetrating flight...I would think about going to 10.5 degree loft...The extra backspin will help keep it straighter...A draw or offset drive would also help out your slice as well

Thread Information