100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Seo wins Kia Classic

As Hee Kyung Seo was about to receive the trophy for her runaway win in the inaugural Kia Classic, Michelle Wie was standing near the scorer's tent explaining her latest rules gaffe.

More...

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    Michelle Wie had absolutely no argument. She clearly screwed up and was trying to get away with it. I don't even know why they let her go around in circles like that. I would have told her to deal with it.

Just my .02

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Hunter View Post
    Michelle Wie had absolutely no argument. She clearly screwed up and was trying to get away with it. I don't even know why they let her go around in circles like that. I would have told her to deal with it.

Just my .02
    (2010-04-01) - Daytona Beach, FL. LPGA Tour Commissioner Michael Whan has rescinded the 2 stroke penalty assessed against phenom Michelle Wie for grounding her club in a hazard during the final round of last week's KIA classic, held at the La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, CA. According to Whan, "I fully respect the rules officials and the hard work they do for the LPGA Tour, and I can understand their rationale for the decision they made. However, given these particular circumstances with a player in a potentially unstable stance, it is not possible for a rules official to discern the motivations and actions of a player in the immediate aftermath after executing the shot. Furthermore, I am extremely dissappointed that the television coverage focused on Michelle Wie's response to the rules officials and not on the tournament champion, Hee Kyung Seo."
    LPGA officials have stated that Wie's earnings and standing in the tournament will be appropriately adjusted without any impact on the other players.
    But...

34-1. Claims and Penalties
    b. Stroke Play
    In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced....

IF all of the above is true - What an absolute crock! The whining child is allowed to get away with another one. I wonder what sponsor threatened to withdraw if the well deserved penalty was not rescinded.

Thread Information