100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Nickent 4DX Evolver driver with CYG

This driver is a bomb. For all those who know me I am not a long driver at all. I have gained some distance through lessons and of course always look for the proverbial Holy Grail of drivers to help me out. I hope that the early success I am having with this driver will continue.

In addition to the increase in distance the driver comes with a hosel adapter which allows variations of the driver head for loft, open or closed face and interchangeable shafts. There are 26 different settings. For me this is ideal because I can play around with different settings on different days to get the optimal ball flight for the conditions or the layout of the course. I need all the help I can get and I think this driver will do the trick.

The real unfortunate thing about the driver is that Nickent is now out of business so the availability of the driver is limited as is the adapters which can be installed on any shaft.

I have only played a few games with it but I have already killed (for me) some drives. I smucked 4 over 250 in the last 4 games (one was 277 on not a very dry fairway) which usually only happens in the summer and once every month if I am lucky. If you are looking for a great driver at a great price, get this one now, Rock Bottom GOlf has some.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

6 Iron GPF is on a distinguished road
    What loft and shaft combination(s) are you using?

Does the head launch higher than stated loft or true to loft? Still undecided if I should go with a 9deg or 10.5deg.

Thanks.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I received 2 shafts with the driver but I am using the YSQ shaft and the head is 10.5°. I was fitted last year for the driver and I need this type of combo to get the ideal numbers for lauch angle and spin rate. I have yet to play with the settings much but I think I have to invert what is written on the hosel adapter since it is a LH head. I had set it at 2° open it looked more closed than before. I think it is playing close to the stated loft. The head is about 1° closed from what I read. The shafts and CYG hosel will make it easier for you no matter which loft you chose since you can change somewhat with the hosel adapter.
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thanks!

There are a few on Ebay and especially from Rock Bottom Golf, very reliable seller plus you can order from their online store if you wish.
    Lefty Lucas

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Although not the same club. Im happy to hear a good review on this driver. I just picked up the 4DX Special Edition today and is being reshafted. Really looking forward to hitting this.

Lefty, if the CYG is adjusted to change the loft of your 10.5 towards 9, does it also change the lie and face angle? If yes, how so? Does the face open up as the loft decreases?

Yes, if you go to thr site the hosel is epoxied and you rotate the head. For a lefty you have to inverse the settings.
    Lefty Lucas

Hi Lefty,

What 2 shafts came with your kit? The UST or Aldila? Can you kindly post the weights and torques of both shafts?

Thanks.

GPF, its easier if you visit the website, they have the specs on the shafts that were available for the Evolver. FYI, I was able to remove the aluminum hosel adapter and install it on another shaft so really you could install any shaft you wish. I am using the Graphite Design YSQ with great success, the other shaft I chose was the V2 HL. I also just picked up a Fujikura E360 for those days where the wind really blows. The adapters are being bought up on Ebay so my advice to you is to grab a driver and a couple of adapters and find yourself the right shaft and install it. I found a seller in Europe that had the CYG adapters for about ½ the price of what they sell on Ebay. That adapter allows 26 different settings but I am sticking with the one that works for me.

www.nickentgolf.net
    Lefty Lucas

Hi Lefty, I checked the Nickent website but it doesn't list the shaft weight and torque of the UST V2 / HL. I understand these shafts are "made for Nickent" so they are slightly different from the retail versions. So if you could kindly check the weight and torque of your USTs, I'd appreciate it.

I demoed a 4DX Evolver with the YSQ shaft and it felt sweet.

Thanks.

No problem I will check tonight
    Lefty Lucas

OK, there is a little difference in the specifications of the V2 HL.

The torque is higher at 4.3 vs 3.8, same weight 64g, butt stiffness is negligible at 254 vs 256 and mid at 6.3 vs 6.4. I believe the adapter has something to do with the i9ncrease in the torque.

I could not find any specifications on the shaft of the YSQ so I really cannot compare. I sue it and it is a great feeling shaft. The V2 is a little boardy for my liking
    Lefty Lucas

Thanks Lefty.

NO problem
    Lefty Lucas

Putter Mejnour is on a distinguished road
    Question about CYG-hosel installation.
    If I buy a CYG-hosel shaft that is set for right hander
    Can I used it on a lefty head without changing anything?

Or I have to re-install the hosel?

THanks

No, just install it but all of the settings are set for the RH golfer so you have to reverse the settings in your head, for example, NU is actually N etc...
    Lefty Lucas

THanks for fast answer

Others questions,

Do I have to find the original wrench from nickent or this kind of adapter can be found in place such Canadiantire?

About the CYG-hosel, are they made in both size (0.335 and 0.350) or just in 0.350?

No problem, great driver. I managed to get a few of these CYG hosels and have them on different shafts for playing in the wind etc.. pretty cool.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    No problem, great driver. I managed to get a few of these CYG hosels and have them on different shafts for playing in the wind etc.. pretty cool.

Others questions,

Do I have to find the original wrench from nickent or this kind of tool can be find as equivalent in place such Canadiantire?

About the CYG-hosel, are they made in both size (0.335 and 0.350) or just in 0.350?

Thanks Agains

They come in both sizes I beleive, I am not sure if you can find an adpater at CT, its a triangle shape
    Lefty Lucas

They come in both sizes I beleive, I am not sure if you can find an adpater at CT, its a triangle shape
    I plan to order this bundle (I already have the lefty evolver driver with a normal shaft (no CYG).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

After I can resell the righ head with my non-CYG shaft!

I think it is a good plan!? unless I miss something!

Well you could buy the hosels and wrench seperately, they sell them on Ebay, it would be cheaper than the bundle.
    Lefty Lucas

Well you could buy the hosels and wrench seperately, they sell them on Ebay, it would be cheaper than the bundle.
    The CYG-hosel on ebay are 35$ each and so far I didn't see the wrench alone.

With the bundle I got 3 shaft with CYG-hosel + wrench and I can
    get back some money by selling the right-head with a shaft.

Nickent CYG-hosel and wrench are hard to find right now. (I already look on the net)

The CYG hosel is only good if you want to change your settings all the time, if not then the regular adapter may do the trick and is a lot cheaper.
    Lefty Lucas

The CYG hosel is only good if you want to change your settings all the time, if not then the regular adapter may do the trick and is a lot cheaper.
    You're are right but the aim was to find best setting for me (and hav'fun trying different shaft).

I assuming that you are always using standard setting "N".

Wich shaft have you tried so far with the 4Dx?
    I read that you have a shaft for windy condition!

I was lucky and purchased the CYGs from the UK pretty cheap, I have 3 shafts with the CYG, a Fujikura E360, a UST V2HL, the UST V2, the Graphite Design Tour YSQ and the UST MOI. I have stuck with the GD as it seems perfect for me but on windy days the Fuji is in. I use the N setting which is actually NU.
    Lefty Lucas

No, just install it but all of the settings are set for the RH golfer so you have to reverse the settings in your head, for example, NU is actually N etc...
    I just received my shaft with the CYG hosel and after studying the hosel (it's asymmetry), I can says that N for a RH stay N for a LH and NU for a RH stay NU.
    There is no change because when the hosel is on "N" or "NU", there is no asymmetry at the plane of the shaft axis.

What is changing is R and L. For this setting you have to reverse it in your head because of the assymetry. It is like a RH hockey player with a Righty curve(close face), when the lefty take the RH stick the face is now open.

Cheers

I will try the NU to see.
    Lefty Lucas

I tried my R-shaft today. I didn't played with the CYG, I just tested the shaft on N setting.

So far I found the SR2 and YSQ very powerfull but also seem less forgiving (too flexible for me?)
    I drive some nice ball with a laser beam trajectory around 250 yards (upstair driving range). But also have terrible hook on some shots

I really like the V2HL and V2, I've been hitting nice smooth high draw. I may be a little less long (less roll) but I've been more regular with those shafts.

I also bought a old "new" (it was a mint condition for 18$) a Taylor made Ti Bubble 2 Stiff 9.5. Sure the trajectory was a bit lower, but I noticed that I was loosing less ball on the target. And this driver is very powerfull too, I real hammer, you can really feel the hammer effect of the head when it crush the ball.
    Then I began to have doubt about the flex I need for my golf swing.

According to this graph, I should have a golf swing speed around 100-110mph, I have doubt...
    http://www.swingspeedradar.com/dista...wingspeed.html

And according to the Nickent "Get fit Online" I am at the boundaries of R and S flex.

So now I just think that I would have to try some S-shaft

Anyway, whatever graph or speed radar says, I think that there is not better way to try it on the field...

Thread Information