CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 Iron?

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road

Unhappy 2 Iron?

So, yeah... I just noticed that I have been promoted to "2 Iron" by virtue of my forum rating (just under my name).

I'd be thrilled with that. Really, I would... Except that I know that the 2 Iron is an ancient relic of days gone by.

A has-been.

A useless club.

Completely useless.

My brother used one with his set of DTRs, but that was about a million years ago. And he's weird (X-stiff shafts extended by 1.5").

I dunno if people even take 2 Irons away from garage sales, for free, if only as a curiousity.

I don't wanna be a 2 Iron!

Heh

OK, I feel better. Really, I do.

Cheers!

Gary

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    keep posting until you become something you like. i was a scratch player once. ah, those were the days.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Confucious says........

"Never play another golfer for money if he has a 2 iron in his bag"
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    keep posting until you become something you like. i was a scratch player once. ah, those were the days.
    Yeah... It just occurred to me that the next levels are likely "3 Iron" and "4 Iron" ... You know, those clubs that have been replaced by Hybrids and aren't even sold with sets anymore.

Yeah, the good ol' 3 Iron... Only used by geriatrics and freaks these days...

(sigh)

heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I carry a 2 iron for use under trees. Its a great get out of trouble club as it keeps the ball really low and I can get under branches ( Can you tell I'm in the woods a lot ) and I can usually hit it hard enough and low enough to get 150 yards or so down the fairway and out of trouble.

I've hit it off the tee a few times too and hit it either a) very well, long and staright, or b) topped it and went nowhere.

Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Madore View Post
    Yeah... It just occurred to me that the next levels are likely "3 Iron" and "4 Iron" ... You know, those clubs that have been replaced by Hybrids and aren't even sold with sets anymore.

Yeah, the good ol' 3 Iron... Only used by geriatrics and freaks these days...

(sigh)

heh heh

Cheers!

Gary
    ....... I got a 3 and a 4 in my bag....... Wouldn't replace either with hybrids allthough i have a 16* Hybrid in my bag that has replaced my 3 wood.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    The good ol'days of hitting a 2 iron. I use to have one with my old DCI set. Use to be one of the best clubs in my bag...I wouldn't dare trying it out today.

The good ol'2 iron.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I love my two iron - off the tee, out of the rough, out of the trees. If people forced themselves to use a two iron, their ball striking would probably improve greatly.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    do I hear a 1 iron?
    Andrew

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    It amazes me how many posts you have accumulated in the last 7 months. It's almost disgusting! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I carry a 2 iron for use under trees
    That's why a friend of mine still carries an old blade putter... Well, not so much for under the trees, but up against them (and other things) - he can use it left-handed if required and save a shot

If I'm in the trees I don't worry about a 2 iron or whatever: I choose a distance-appropriate club, close my eyes, and wail away while hoping for the best.... I usually come up about 50/50. heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Yesterday's 2 iron is today's 3 iron
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    do I hear a 1 iron?
    Yes sir, I carry a 1-iron. It's great for getting out of trees or for crazy-windy fall golf...the good ol line-drive.

Bouche
    2 Irons are awesome!! They do everything from around the green to off the tee. At least for me I find a 2 Iron very usefull

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I have my old Callaway X 18 2 iron in the bag every round. If the driver isn't working, then I go to this and it goes about 220, straight. Love it!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    Confucious says........

"Never play another golfer for money if he has a 2 iron in his bag"
    Does a 2-hybrid count?

Arrt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    2 Irons are awesome!! They do everything from around the green to off the tee. At least for me I find a 2 Iron very usefull
    I use to use a one iron around the greens. Got pretty good for a bit. Then lost the touch.

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    I used to carry a 2 iron, hit it pretty well, was great off the tee as a "safe club", hit it about 220. Then I tried a 3 hybrid, which I also hit about 220 off the tee, could also it it out of the rough, and it took a lot less concentration to hit than the 2 iron, so the 2 iron was gone.

My above statement makes me wonder, has all this technology which has made it easier to hit the ball straighter and farther made golfers lazy? I for one remember hitting clubs such as the 2 iron, the 1st generation big bertha's and old spalding blade irons (I came around after parsimmon woods, but I can only imagine) and hitting those clubs took a whole lot more practice, patience and concentration then hitting any of the clubs out there today. I am thinking playing golf 10-15 years ago when I started was much more of a strenous activity then it is today where a less than perfect shot still yields a decent outcome (and don't get me started about golf carts).

I would think learning the game today would also be much easier than it was to learn it 10 - 15 years ago.

my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcee View Post
    I used to carry a 2 iron, hit it pretty well, was great off the tee as a "safe club", hit it about 220. Then I tried a 3 hybrid, which I also hit about 220 off the tee, could also it it out of the rough, and it took a lot less concentration to hit than the 2 iron, so the 2 iron was gone.

My above statement makes me wonder, has all this technology which has made it easier to hit the ball straighter and farther made golfers lazy? I for one remember hitting clubs such as the 2 iron, the 1st generation big bertha's and old spalding blade irons (I came around after parsimmon woods, but I can only imagine) and hitting those clubs took a whole lot more practice, patience and concentration then hitting any of the clubs out there today. I am thinking playing golf 10-15 years ago when I started was much more of a strenous activity then it is today where a less than perfect shot still yields a decent outcome (and don't get me started about golf carts).

I would think learning the game today would also be much easier than it was to learn it 10 - 15 years ago.

my two cents.
    Agree. I use to be able to draw and fade the ball at will with all my clubs 20 years ago. I find it hard now to do the same things with the "forgiving" irons, metal woods and Hybrids made today.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    Still use my “driving iron”. It is great on long par 3’s and dog leg par 4’s where you want to draw the ball right around the corner

But am considering an Adams Idea Pro Black. So much easier to hit (feels like cheating)
    Last edited by john8888; 04-10-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Pitching Wedge Leejanzen is on a distinguished road
    My 2 iron is the only club I can say I hit well more than 80% of the time. I can hit it anywhere from 210-220 yards and always on a nice trajectory (I hit everything else a mile high). I can not for the life of me hit hybrids or lob wedges so I have 1W,3W,7W,2I,3I,4I,5I,6I,7I,8I,9I,PW,SW,P in my bag

All of your posts were starting to make me feel just a bit better about being a "2 Iron" ... but since then I've become a "1 Iron" (sigh) ....

heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

Thread Information