100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by knickers View Post
    Thanks for the reply. While I know the actual fitting itself is relativley inexpensive. Ill also include the reshafting/regripping of 14 clubs in my statement. It is a considerable cost to do this no ? What range could this all cost $ Pardon the ignorence on my part. Other then regripping my own clubs I truly have no clue as to the cost of being fitted start to finish.

Thanks
    Mark

Pardon the thread jack as well. Just think this info is good to know.

Off topic, I will PM you.

Besides, we would not want to offend any of the uba- posters out there with anymore ying and yang

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm not offended. There are just as many Scotty Cameron haters, Titleist haters, Callaway haters, Nike haters, etc. It's just a personal preference is all.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Fair enough FD. Sometimes I my passion for this stuff causes me to shoot from the hip before beeing rational.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    You say to-ma-to i say to-mah-to. lol
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Off topic, I will PM you.

Besides, we would not want to offend any of the uba- posters out there with anymore ying and yang
    Fair enough.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    This is a ridonk topic. Everyone has a personal preference with regards to everything in the world. Whether golfers, golf balls, golf clubs, golf announcers. Ying and yang.
    Having so many opinions, this would make me believe that this is an excellent topic.

Making threads and discussing things we're all in agreement over won't get very far, other than stroking our own egos.

This thread was quite the eye opener and I never thought that there could be this many flaws in a club/set (TM or otherwise).

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post

Hey, " Bogey Golf", let the folks in on the work I did, err, had to be done for you on your R7 TP's to get to a reasonable level of consistency throughout the set.

I guess his irons were leftovers from the previous season and sold off as is and, were probably made on a Monday.
    I must admit that the I was surprised when I was told how all over the map the swingweight was on my new R7 TP Irons. I would have thought that when they leave the factory they would be somewhat close to the specs that they portray on the TM website, but they were not even close.

I am thankful that you were able to do this for me, and get them all back to a reasonable level of consistency.

I hate to admit it, but I like TaylorMade, as I have the Driver, 3Wood, Hybrid, wedges, and Irons (Odyssey Putter ). But this just comes down to preference, as i have tried and owned everything under the sun when it comes to clubs (people on forum can back me up on this, as I sold most of it).

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    me as well, not sure what it is but I bought a set of Burner irons (the originals) back around 1995 and have been hooked ever since. I do play Mizuno irons though and have an Odyssey putter however my Driver, 3 wood, hybrid and wedges are all TM.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Arrt
    No clue why, but I have always been a taylormade hater.

Arrt
    And then I go shoot a 36 with a penta

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If the complaint is as you've summarized it, then the history on which it is based is short term indeed. First, I'm not sure that there was ever a period when the tour was free from pay for play. There have always been arrangements between manufacturers and players, though not as prevalent as today. Sam Snead, for example, had such an arrangement, and not just with clubs but with balls as well. As for Mizuno, they are a relatively recent addition to the tour. Historically, my recollection is that Wilson Staff and more recently, Titleist, dominated the scene based on the quality of their clubs. Mizuno was not even around at that time. In fact, I would argue that Mizuno's blades grow out of the Staff and Titleist legacy.

As for Taylor Made I am neither a hater nor a love. If a club works, then I'd play it. That said, I hang on to my clubs for a long time so frequent manufacturer model changes are of little concern to me.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    For those that hate on TM I would love to know the reasoning. Their clubs are always on the cutting edge of technology, whether you think your game is 'good enough' to take advantage of that technology or not. The complaint about the release of so many models has never made sense to me either. Nobody is forced to buy each and every model and your club does not become 'outdated' just because a newer R9 or Burner is introduced. If the club worked well enough for you to spend upwards of $300 it doesn't become less of a club when a newer club is brought out.

My thoughts on TM's multiple releases dates is Great! What would you rather, they hold onto that new club until late fall/ early spring when clubs are traditionally released?

As you can tell I am a fan of TM and have been for years. While other companies rely on their long standing histor, TM is wanting to be #1 in everything. This is why I am not surprised at all that Callaway and TM are the top 2 companies and will be for the foreseeable future. When was the last time you saw a non- ProV1 titleist commercial? Or a non-wedge Cleveland commercial? Or a non-iron Mizuno commercial? They each have a full lineup of products but choose to mostly focus on 1 area, hence why I believe there market share is shrinking considerably.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I love the fact they release clubs at a lightning pace. It allows me to pick up their 'almost" latest and greatest for a song.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    me as well, not sure what it is but I bought a set of Burner irons (the originals) back around 1995 and have been hooked ever since. I do play Mizuno irons though and have an Odyssey putter however my Driver, 3 wood, hybrid and wedges are all TM.
    Just received my Burner Plus irons I got off Ebay. (From a trusted repeat source)

I am hitting them much better and longer than my old (5 year) TM RAC OS's. I got thme right before some match play rounds last weekend and shouldn't have used them before checking my distances, but it was my driver (actually my driving) that killed me for my Matches.

I looked up the lofts for comparison of the two sets and they are different. The #4 almost is the same as the old #3 - which accounts for the fact that after really struggling with the driver at the start of my second match I hit the #4 over 200 yards.

I could not hit my old #3 but am very comfortable hiting the #4 Burner Plus so it seems to be a better club for me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    For those that hate on TM I would love to know the reasoning. Their clubs are always on the cutting edge of technology, whether you think your game is 'good enough' to take advantage of that technology or not. The complaint about the release of so many models has never made sense to me either. Nobody is forced to buy each and every model and your club does not become 'outdated' just because a newer R9 or Burner is introduced. If the club worked well enough for you to spend upwards of $300 it doesn't become less of a club when a newer club is brought out.

My thoughts on TM's multiple releases dates is Great! What would you rather, they hold onto that new club until late fall/ early spring when clubs are traditionally released?

As you can tell I am a fan of TM and have been for years. While other companies rely on their long standing histor, TM is wanting to be #1 in everything. This is why I am not surprised at all that Callaway and TM are the top 2 companies and will be for the foreseeable future. When was the last time you saw a non- ProV1 titleist commercial? Or a non-wedge Cleveland commercial? Or a non-iron Mizuno commercial? They each have a full lineup of products but choose to mostly focus on 1 area, hence why I believe there market share is shrinking considerably.

No, their club isn't "outdated" so to speak, but what upsets people is that the club they just spent over $500 for a few months ago is now next to worthless on trade-in/re-sell value as TM puts out a new product every couple of months (or so it seems).
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    No, their club isn't "outdated" so to speak, but what upsets people is that the club they just spent over $500 for a few months ago is now next to worthless on trade-in/re-sell value as TM puts out a new product every couple of months (or so it seems).
    Then my question would be this: if you just spent $300+ on a new club why are you worried about re-sale value?? If you liked the driver enough to drop that coin, who cares what the re-sale value is your keeping the driver.

Like I posted previously, the only ones that don't like the constant releases from TM are those that are either constantly changing, or those that NEED the newest toy to show off.

Personally I couldn't care less about the resale value of my R9TP caused by the 4 new drivers out cause it works so well for me I won't sell it. It doesn't matter to me if it's now worth $100 or $250

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If they are "next to worthless" after 6 months and your one who swaps clubs in and out of the bag frequently, then just wait for the deals on used or clearance. What's the big deal about having the latest model for a few months?

If your not worried about trade in value, who cares what they release?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Then my question would be this: if you just spent $300+ on a new club why are you worried about re-sale value?? If you liked the driver enough to drop that coin, who cares what the re-sale value is your keeping the driver.

Like I posted previously, the only ones that don't like the constant releases from TM are those that are either constantly changing, or those that NEED the newest toy to show off.

Personally I couldn't care less about the resale value of my R9TP caused by the 4 new drivers out cause it works so well for me I won't sell it. It doesn't matter to me if it's now worth $100 or $250
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    If they are "next to worthless" after 6 months and your one who swaps clubs in and out of the bag frequently, then just wait for the deals on used or clearance. What's the big deal about having the latest model for a few months?

If your not worried about trade in value, who cares what they release?
    I agree with you guys, but just pointing out one side of the argument.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I'd argue that those concerned about that are not thinking things through.

Either that or they don't care enough about the resale losses to do something about it (wait for the depreciation) but like to whine about it.

6 Iron triplets is on a distinguished road
    I personally love the Taylor made woods. Have had the R7 quad with the moveable weights, had the burner and now have the R9. Wood's junkie I guess. According to Franks Thomas all of us should have at least a 460 in the Driver, make not important. The shaft is the most important in my opinion. I prefer the lightest shaft so I can swing it faster and thus longer drives off the tee. I play Ping irons and prefer these over all other irons, have had titleist and callaway, these do not hold a candle to the Ping, my opinion only. Also according to Frank Thomas irons have not changed in the past 10 years. All the companies just want to make us believe that we need something new and I believe this is the reason for all the advertising and gimmics. No need to change drivers or irons unless they get damaged, again my opnion.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    As for Mizuno, they are a relatively recent addition to the tour. Historically, my recollection is that Wilson Staff and more recently, Titleist, dominated the scene based on the quality of their clubs. Mizuno was not even around at that time. In fact, I would argue that Mizuno's blades grow out of the Staff and Titleist legacy.
    I think the key word here is "relatively" Mizuno have been very evident on tour since at least the mid seventies (Seve was playing Mizuno Irons by 1977). They were also apparently the first manufacturer to use the "fitting truck" at tour events. An excellent company for sure.

Taylor Made were founded in 1979.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    Most of the components from any manufacturer are unfortunately made in China. I was suprised as I was looking at GT and how many said made in China........

Not everything from China is poor quality. The fakes of course are but the name brand stuff can have decent quality control. Labour there is cheep and plentiful so they get the manufacturing.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Having seen knock off clubs at some indoor flea markets in China last month, I must say that I was impressed with the quality of the clubs. They only had RH clubs, and they were very cheap for a set I must say. I should have taken a picture of them. Nobody seem to concerned about it there, as the flea market booths sold knock off Columbia and North Face jackets dirt cheap, while next door at the shopping centre you could buy the real thing for big $...

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    Having seen knock off clubs at some indoor flea markets in China last month, I must say that I was impressed with the quality of the clubs. They only had RH clubs, and they were very cheap for a set I must say. I should have taken a picture of them. Nobody seem to concerned about it there, as the flea market booths sold knock off Columbia and North Face jackets dirt cheap, while next door at the shopping centre you could buy the real thing for big $...
    the quality of appearance has nothing to do with the quality of the golf club. You are right, it has become increasingly difficult to spot the knocks off for a lot of people, you really have to know your stuff

Thread Information