CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marshall?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Marshall?

Got the following quote from another thread.So should we always listen to the marshall? I once hit someone on the elbow after following the marshall's advice to go ahead and shoot. It is a very unpleasant experience believe me. I am not a lawyer but who would be responsible if a law suit was to take place. The shooter? The marshall?

Which is exactly why I will never play...again. When a marshall is up your butt every second hole for slow play when your foursome is waiting for the threesome in front of you to hurry up, that's inexcusable.

Funny though, this one marshall yelled at me to "SHOOT" while I was on the teebox, waiting for the group in front to move on. I waited and he yelled again, "SHOOT." So I took my driver and ripped it, right over the heads of the three in front. The marshall says to me, "Why didn't you yell fore?" I walked by him and said, " You told me to shoot, yell fore yourself."

Didn't see him for the rest of the round

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am pretty sure if you hit you are responsible. NEVER hit if the group in front is too close. Marshalls make mistakes and it certainly sounds like this was one.

It seems that technology is having another unfortunate effect. I play with several people who routinely hit 300 yard drives. Not too long ago that was unheard of. This can actually slow play since you have to give the groups ahead even more distance before you top the ball 100 yards.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I am pretty sure if you hit you are responsible. NEVER hit if the group in front is too close. Marshalls make mistakes and it certainly sounds like this was one.

It seems that technology is having another unfortunate effect. I play with several people who routinely hit 300 yard drives. Not too long ago that was unheard of. This can actually slow play since you have to give the groups ahead even more distance before you top the ball 100 yards.
    But then again it is like a box of Cracker Jacks. You can either top it 100 yards or smack it all the way to the moon. I say better be safe than sorry.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You are generally always responsible for your shots.

If you think the group in front is too close, don't hit. The marshalls don't know how far you hit the ball.

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    You are generally always responsible for your shots.

If you think the group in front is too close, don't hit. The marshalls don't know how far you hit the ball.
    not to mention that he probably won't chip in when you get sued
    http://www.golfweb.com/u/ce/multi/pg...652234,00.html

granted that this is an american story but I can see Canadian courts reaching the same decision!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    There are some Marshalls that just dont get it. We were at a course that allows 5somes and there was a group of 3 ladies hitting off the reds that passed us on the 3 rd hole (par 3). This was early morning (6:20 teeoff) and we saw no one even on the tee behind us for 12 holes and the ladies ahead were long gone (speed golfers). The Marshall approached us on the 12th tee, waited until we all teed-off (all of us had nice drives in the fairway) and told us the group approaching the 10th green behind us was slow and could we pick it up as there is no one in front of us. Our puzzled looks had him explain that we should have been playing to the group's speed in front of us. I quickly interjected that we were 4some walking and hitting from the blues and that the group in front were 3 hitting from the reds with 2 on a power cart. He insisted that we should have tried to keep up with them. I looked at my watch and expressed to him that we would finish the round in less than 4 hours, that we were not slow but actually ahead of time, that we were not the slow group and that we wanted to enjoy ourselves and that there was no need for us to speed up. He just looked at us and said if the group behind us was to catch up for us to speed up. Again I explained we were not slow and there would be no need for any intervention. He must have sensed our frustration, he thanked us indignantly and left. We never saw him again. He could have simply told us that the group behind us on the 10th was slow, that he asked them to pick up the pace and that if in the odd chance they were to catch up could we keep a good pace. We would have been very happy to oblige. So easy but instead he agravated us for absolutely no reason.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    A Great Marshall, at Montebello. We were a foursome, 2 of us htting the blues and the others white. We WERE slow. We quickly could not even see the group in front of us and I noticed several times that we making the 4some behind us wait. On the 5th hole the marshall approached us and told us the group ahead of us was slow and that he told them to pick up the pace and would we please follow suite so as to get a good pace of play going. I said sure and quickly realised that the group in front were going at a torrid pace and that this explanation was for our benefit. He was very polite and diplomatic, blaming another group for slow play, cute but effective. I exlained what the marshall said to us and my buddies laughed and we quickly made better time.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    leftylucas

He could have simply told us that the group behind us on the 10th was slow, that he asked them to pick up the pace
    Sorry but IMO he was out to lunch on this one. The mere fact that you were on the 12th green and they were two holes behind you, and they were slow, should have told him something. He should not have even said a word other than hello and have a great day.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Refreshing to hear someone admit that a marshall talked to their group! We always want the marshall to bawl out a slow group when they are holding us up, but it is in contrast nice to hear that a tactful, respectful comment is as effective (if not more so) than an order to pick up the pace.

I still think a little golf & etiquette education can make almost any golfer his own best marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Refreshing to hear someone admit that a marshall talked to their group! We always want the marshall to bawl out a slow group when they are holding us up, but it is in contrast nice to hear that a tactful, respectful comment is as effective (if not more so) than an order to pick up the pace.

I still think a little golf & etiquette education can make almost any golfer his own best marshall.

I would have to second that!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkemila
    I would have to second that!
    I've had a number of good chats with Marshalls. I've had them come over and see if everything is OK. Some have been talking to us on a slow day and checked their tee sheet, saw when we teed off and said that we were doing fine, just keep pace. I've even had a marshall come and thank me for filling divot holes, giving our group a couple extra bottles of fill.

And I've had bad experiences with Marshalls. I think that there should be a level of training, to go with common sense, for Marshalls to go through. It would be in a course's best interest to have good Marshalls.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I've had a number of good chats with Marshalls. I've had them come over and see if everything is OK. Some have been talking to us on a slow day and checked their tee sheet, saw when we teed off and said that we were doing fine, just keep pace. I've even had a marshall come and thank me for filling divot holes, giving our group a couple extra bottles of fill.

And I've had bad experiences with Marshalls. I think that there should be a level of training, to go with common sense, for Marshalls to go through. It would be in a course's best interest to have good Marshalls.

So far I have been fairly lucky and have only come across a couple of real problem children. Most I have come across are fairly friendly and have a true love for the game. Common sense prevails though.....throw garbage or come out with an attitude on his course and of course he will have his back up. (not implying anything, just stating the obvious)

Thread Information