CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Question Retro-fit or Fit With New Equipment???

I'm not going to get into too much detail, but if you had the chance to get a custom fitted golf bag would you:

A) retro-fit your current set of sticks?

B) unload your current sticks and get fit from scratch with component pieces?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Assuming you like the look of the current heads and they are in good shape, then all you really need to do is worry about the shafts and adjusting for lie / loft.

As shown by my shaft graveyard, this is generally what I do until the heads become to banged up and then I will buy a new set of heads and use the current shafts until the next experiment comes along.

Given that you can't keep a set of clubs in play for a month, I would suggest spending the dough on something more permanent, like a tattoo.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Assuming you like the look of the current heads and they are in good shape, then all you really need to do is worry about the shafts and adjusting for lie / loft.

As shown by my shaft graveyard, this is generally what I do until the heads become to banged up and then I will buy a new set of heads and use the current shafts until the next experiment comes along.

Given that you can't keep a set of clubs in play for a month, I would suggest spending the dough on something more permanent, like a tattoo.
    This would be different....I wouldn't be able to "switch" clubs every month, as you so eloquently put it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Go for the fitting and see how off your current set is. If you need new shafts, grips, lie/loft changes then prob better to start fresh. If your current set is pretty close with just some adjustments then do that. I took my current set that I bought when CB went under. Luckily the shafts were perfect length and flex, so just a lie angle change and made sure all the lofts we good. Driver same thing right loft just needed a new shaft. So go get fit, then see where you're at.

It will all depend on my chat with my builder, but was just curious as to other's thoughts.

Well after yesterday's round, I think I will just tweak my current set for now. Everything felt really nice. Might adjust the lies on the irons and wedges, and when I re-shaft my fwys and driver, I'll play around with final playing length and SW.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I'm not going to get into too much detail, but if you had the chance to get a custom fitted golf bag would you:

I would assemble a box of 14 heads, a combination of OEM and Components (what fit my eye and playing tendencies), and then get them built up right. If I bought assembled to get the heads I would pull the shaft and put the heads in a box with the rest of the collection. Then have the whole set built together.
    Kind regards, Harry

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Either. You MUST like the look of the head when you put it behind the ball as it is a confidence builder. Whether it's an OEM or a good component like Wishon or KZG, it does not matter.

As you know, the word "fit" is currently a very generic term that means different things to different golfers/"fitters." Determining a shaft selection based on HOW you swing versus being just offered a choice between an "R" and an "S," or having your irons lies adjusted based on a dynamic test with each club versus just having them all bent "1 degree up," determined by the #@%& fitting chart, is closer to the kind of fitting one deserves.

Obviously there are a number of other factors involved in the fitting process and each should be considered so in the end you know that any missed shot is your fault. While I don't cover all the factors when I assemble clubs for myself, I do consider:
    shaft length, lie and loft angles, shaft material, set makeup, single frequency matching - butt and tip flex, MOI matching, balance point, grip size, head material, cavity versus blade, offset, and total weight. This should be the minimum, whether you buy from a chain store, or from a true fitter.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

I did have an assessment done of my current sticks and then had Callaway set them to the proper SW and now after hitting over 100 balls at the range, I have never hit the ball so well. I really like my clubs now. I was thinking of getting fit for a set of new KZG's but I don't need to spend the money now. My current set is amazing. It is incredible what a fitting by a professional fitter/club maker can do for your game and confidence. Thanks Don! Just my 2 cents worth.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Thread Information