CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar

What should I be looking for?

hi,

New to the forum and must say I like it. might end up spending lots of money but its ok.

Anyways, I got back in the golf game last year after a couple of years off and now that I have some golf partners I am looking to actually get some clubs that arent garbage.

I am trying to look around and have been meaning to go to golf town and try some clubs out to see what fits me best but I would rather go there with some idea of what I should be looking for.

I am a decently tall guy at 6-3 and fairly heavy at about 270 ish. I am not the greatest player by any means so all the help I can get the better.

I am looking for prob a whole set either mix and match or well see. havent decided on a price range yet that will all depend.

the new technology is a little much for me to comprehend right now with so many options.

What should I be looking for. I am looking for consistency. Distance isnt the main issue considering I hit fairly long with garbage clubs right now, just straight distance with long irons and at times the woods.

So what are my options? Should I be looking for cavity backs? Or blades?
    What are my options for where my money going to be best spent?

Is there stuff that I just shouldnt look at? IE its too advanced for me or its just a waste of money?

thanks

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Could always look on the forums for a decent set of sticks. Can get a really good price in the coming month. For consistency you will be looking at cavity backs though.
    From what I have heard, the X-20/X-22's are very forgiving irons. I have never hit one myself but I am sure you will find many people that can preach that.

those were one of the options I was looking at as well. thanks for the help.

there is just so many choices out there its a little much

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    The best thing you can do is just go out and try a few different sets. They are all going to feel different to the person using them. What works for one person wont work for another. You could always go and get fitted.

As well. Alot of the people on the forum would probably be willing to let you try the clubs at the range to get a feel for them as well and see if you like them. Or, if your looking for a new set, go try out a few at golf town, figure out what one you are after and come back to the forums and find them here

thats the idea tomm. Just hoping to narrow it down a little. I dont wanna waste my time or the guy at the stores time either.

WOW golf town is a money pit but its ok. I managed to find a driver and a hydrid today so I am happy.

I went with the callaway X 10 degree loft and for some reason the Regular flex was good for me even with a swing of 110- 115mph
    I tried the nike drivers, the big bertha, the cobra and the callaway x was the winner.

I cant believe how straight the nike's are. I couldnt miss with them at all. But it didnt feel right. And the distance just wasnt there. I was hitting maybe 260-270 which is not very good for me at all. heck I hit the hybrid I got that far.

the cobra was very long as well but the Callaway X was the longest and straightest for me. I consistently hit it 300+ and it was going straight as can be and it felt good.

I decided to get a hydrid because I dont have one and I went with a cobra model it was cheap and it was good. Loved the weight and the distance I and feel I got was better than the callways.

I havent decided on irons just yet but I am looking at options prob used but like my friend said I hit the irons straight and long already so any upgrade is simply because I want to spend money.

I might pick up a wedge in the coming months too.

Word of caution. The screens there are meant to make you shoot like that. It's marketing strategy. I personally believe anyway. I would only take that with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    Word of caution. The screens there are meant to make you shoot like that. It's marketing strategy. I personally believe anyway. I would only take that with a grain of salt
    ya I was affraid of that too. Which is why I took my time and took alot of shots to really get a good feel for the club. I went with whatever felt the best. Even if I didnt get the best or if the regular shaft doesnt work out I can always just swap it for stiff at a later time. I'm no proffessional here so its no big deal

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    here's what i did when i was looking in october last year. i went on golfdigest and looked in their equipment page. read the reviews on the gold/silver clubs. then i went on other websites to read the reviews of people who are using the clubs i want. then i looked around for the best prices on the clubs i was interested in. i went to GT to try out the iron sets on my list, i liked the x-forged, and bought them online.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information