CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: royal ottawa

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road

royal ottawa

I don't know much about this course , how is it?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    you've been a member since 2005 and dont know royal ottawa?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    you've been a member since 2005 and dont know royal ottawa?
    It's private, and is pretty tough to get on if you don't know someone. If he hasn't played it, it's no surprise he doesn't know much about it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    He lives in the maritimes I believe

it is a very nice high end course
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Canadian Mid there next year

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Traditonal course; a few weird holes. Back to back par 3's on 11 and 12. The yardage is around 6600 but two of the par 4's force you to lay up around 200 with another 200 or so yard approach. Green are the best I've played in the area. They run about 12 or so regularly. Nearly no hazards on the course. You can go really low if the putter is on. A few years ago in intersectionals I remember going 67 after playing the first 4 at 4 over. I was a member for a while so if you have any questions about the course let me know.

Thanks, TIM

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    It's private, and is pretty tough to get on if you don't know someone. If he hasn't played it, it's no surprise he doesn't know much about it.
    i haven't played it either. it's so expensive and exclusive that i don't bother even asking about it.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tyorke1 View Post
    I don't know much about this course , how is it?
    Tim,

The Royal Ottawa is the one local premier, private clubs that has NOT been modernized by the McBroom's et al. It remains a classic shot makers course, where the premium is on accuracy off the tee, irons landing below the hole and good putting. As mentioned above, the greens will run about 12 perhaps 13 for the tournament, but because they have not been redesigned, balls landing above the hole on some, could possibly run off the green when you putt back down, with the short #11, and the par 5 18th, good examples of this.

#8 is one of the hardest par 3's anywhere, 220 yards uphill and normally into the prevailing wind and #9, a 448 yard hole where a perfect layup will still leave you 200 yards to a small green with hazard left and bunker right. Similarly, #15, 435 yards, a strange driving hole because of a severely undulating fairway that crowns in the middle, requires a layup, and a long iron approach shot from a very awkward lie.

On the other hand, there are a number of shorter, makeup par 4's, where if you keep the ball in play, birdies can be made, and similarly, the par 5's are short. The tee shot on #1 will be the most nerve wracking, with the out of bounds on the left waiting to swallow a slightly hooked ball. On the par 5 18th, with the sun at your back, and the club house in the distance, it is one of the most pleasant views in the area. What also adds to the challenge at the Royal Ottawa is that seldom will you have approach shots from level lies. Because of its tightness and small, fast greens, the range of scores is likely to be high.

You will enjoy it. Lyle

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Now that is a solid review of a great golf course.

Lyle, If it is the Lyle I know, glad to here from you. That is a great review, I will be there for the mid, threw out an intercostal muscle 1 week before the mid last year but played anyway in agony, probably should have pulled out. I have a lot of good friends in Ottawa. If I don't play for the team I am coming on my own and hopefully staying with Chris Bernard, even though he does not know it yet!!The rcga could have made a mess of amateur golf this year time will tell. Sounds like a course I will really like. Will you play Lyle.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tyorke1 View Post
    Lyle, If it is the Lyle I know, glad to here from you. That is a great review, I will be there for the mid, threw out an intercostal muscle 1 week before the mid last year but played anyway in agony, probably should have pulled out. I have a lot of good friends in Ottawa. If I don't play for the team I am coming on my own and hopefully staying with Chris Bernard, even though he does not know it yet!!The rcga could have made a mess of amateur golf this year time will tell. Sounds like a course I will really like. Will you play Lyle.
    Same one.

Unless I suddenly gain 30 yards on each drive, I don't think 250 yards off the tee will cut playing in the mid am. At 64, distance is slipping backwards, in spite of modern technology, and so I will probably stick to senior golf, our district mid am at my home course and a few other tournaments.

First met Chris when he was an assistant at the Mississippi GC, probably close to 20 years ago now. Just show up at Chris' door; he won't turn you away.

Will definitely make a point of getting over to the RO during tournament week.

Thread Information