100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible ?

7 Wood yjustin is on a distinguished road yjustin's Avatar

Possible ?

Hi

I see that most of hybrids are .375 tip size but some of them are .335 tip size. Is it possible to put regular driver shafts into hybrids with .335 tips ? What would be the differences between driver/wood shafts and hybrid shafts ?

Thanks

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    .370 is probably what you meant. It is possible. Some companies out there sell shims/springs for that purpose . The objective is to achieve a higher ball flight and a softer feel.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the reply.
    My hybrid has .335 tip size and would like to know what would be the difference between putting wood shafts and other .335 hybrid shafts.

Thanks again

http://www.wishongolf.com/designs_de...=11&dType=iron

- 0.335" bore on #2 through 6, 0.370" bore on the #7 through PW - allows use of high launch GI-335 graphite or Series 5 Hybrid steel in the low lofted irons, but a conventional iron shaft in the short, high lofted irons
    Mahatma Gandhi

So as long as they have same tip size they can be installed ? THere will be just torque and launch hight difference ?

Thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Yes, a .335 wood shaft can definitely be installed. I have done this several times as part of my experiments. There are two big challenges with doing this.

1. How much to tip trim a driver shaft for a hybrid. Since hybrid heads are much heavier than drivers the driver shaft will generally need a lot of tip trim to make it work. Some driver shafts are butt trim only, so those are usually not good candidates. Others will allow several inches of trim and have trim specs for 5W and/or 7W installations. I would recommend going with the 7W trim instructions.

2. Total shaft length and taper. Most wood shafts are expecting to be installed at wood lengths. As such they start to taper the shaft based on that assumption. If you install it in a hybrid then when you factor in the tip trim and how much you need to take off the butt you will typically find that the diameter of the butt is now considerably smaller than normal this will mean that you need to add a bunch of build up tape to get it the right size for a standard grip. Additionally, this will affect the feel of the shaft.

Now, both of these will combine to give a playing characteristic that you may or may not like.

As I mentioned before, I have tried this experiment with a few different wood shafts. The best results have been with steel wood shafts, assuming you can find any of those.

I am currently using the Wishon hybrid shafts that the Chief mentioned. So far they have been the best choice.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

THank you ~!
    Helped alot~!

Have a great day~!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I have used .335 fairway wood shafts with great sucsess in any bore size of hybrid. The heavier weight and flex profiles of this design of shaft works very well.

My question is if you use the fairway wood shaft in hybrid, you will have to tip the end and wood shafts are tappered, which will become bigger than .335 after tipped. One other way I see is that butt has to be tipped and I am not sure how it would feel with that.

Ummm

Depending on the FWY shaft it will have a parallel tip section (PTS) of a specific length. Some are longer than others. Usually the ones that are butt trim only have shorter PTS. You should check the specs of the shaft in question. They should all list the length of the PTS.

Like I said in my earlier post, you'll have to decide if you like the feel.

Oh nice, I am new about this reshafting.... so wasnt sure about this...
    Now I get some ideas...

THanks everyone~!

Since you are new, one other thing to remind you of is that if you are extracting a graphite shaft yourself you'll need a shaft puller. Remember to never twist a graphite shaft while you are extracting it.

Quote Originally Posted by yjustin View Post
    My question is if you use the fairway wood shaft in hybrid, you will have to tip the end and wood shafts are tappered, which will become bigger than .335 after tipped. One other way I see is that butt has to be tipped and I am not sure how it would feel with that.

Ummm
    Not for the first few inches depending on the shaft. It is calles PTS i.e parallel tip section.

Talke a look at the wood tip trimming section.
    http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/..._trim_inst.pdf
    Depending on the weight of the head you can tip trim a a wood shaft like a 9 wood like John said.

If still confused take it to a clubmaker
    Mahatma Gandhi

Oh thanks~

The Hybrid I have is steel shaft, and I was going to get pulled shaft(without damage) and try myself.

Thanks again jVincent

Ya I just visited few webs, and they give out the specs 'PTS' ot 'PTL'
    THanks alot

Thread Information