100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar

Wedge Lie Angle Help

So I got my wedges bent a few months ago and they're too upright. I always liked my wedges to match my set as far as lie angles but they don't set up nicely. I work all my wedges off a 36.5" pitching wedge. As I get to my higher lofted wedges it seems that they begin to get more upright in relation to the others although they are all 63* lie angle and the same length. My pitching wedge is 61* lie. Is there a reason for this and because they are cast (vokeys) will it be okay to bend them again about 3* flatter without a reasonable risk of cracking them?
    Last edited by bNeill; 03-10-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Do a dynamic lie test before doing anything to them. Many ways to do this without a lie board. Are you pulling them left?

They are not on the list of non recommended

http://golfworks.com/images/art/Iron...0Not%20Rec.pdf
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I agree, you should use a lie board and impact tape to see where the sole is making contact with the ground. Once that is established you will be able to see how much the lie needs to be adjusted.

Vokeys are forged so bending shouldn't be a problem.

FWIW...standard lie angle for a PW is 63.5* yours at 61* is 2.5* flat.
    GW, SW and LW are normally 64*
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I agree, you should use a lie board and impact tape to see where the sole is making contact with the ground. Once that is established you will be able to see how much the lie needs to be adjusted.

Vokeys are forged so bending shouldn't be a problem.

FWIW...standard lie angle for a PW is 63.5* yours at 61* is 2.5* flat.
    GW, SW and LW are normally 64*
    Are you sure about that ?

Also, I am of the belief that the lie board test is meaningless for wedges. The fact that most of your shots with the wedges are less than full shots, you should be zeroing in on first of all, a comfortable lenght to manage those in between shots and then a lie that also agrees with youre posture and set up for these shots.

I tend to favor a more flatter lie for the 56 and 60's. You will probably be ok with lie testing with the PW and gap as for all of your other irons.

Lie testing is useless unless you have the proper lenght, weight and flex in your clubs. Most likely your wedge shafts don't match your other clubs anyway.

[QUOTE=downhillslider;348278]Are you sure about that ?
    QUOTE]

Nope.. I assumed because they were so easy to bend, having bent them a number of times. Doing a bit of homework (thanks to you Les) I have discovered they are cast from carbon steel.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Besides having your lies match the rest of the set is there any other reason why you think your wedges are bent too upright? Have you played them yet? In my opinion go play with them and see how they play. If the ball is either going left/right check your divot and see if you can tell if the toe or the heal is entering the turf first.
    If it were me I wouldn't start getting them bent until I played a few rounds first.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=The Saint;348289]
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Are you sure about that ?
    QUOTE]

Nope.. I assumed because they were so easy to bend, having bent them a number of times. Doing a bit of homework (thanks to you Les) I have discovered they are cast from carbon steel.

I was pretty sure they were cast but to lazzy to research it.

No intent what so ever to make you look bad.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    My mistake I subtracted 2 degrees instead of adding; they are 2* up from 63* so i guess 65* and the other wedges are 65* as well. A someone else prevoiusly stated getting on a lie board won't do much as they are mostly used for shorter shots. I wasn't pulling shots but when my hands are in a comfortable position, the face points left so i have to stand more upright than I want to to square the face. I'm comfortable with the lie on my PW and 51* although I think I'll be more comfortable if I bend my 55* and 59* two degrees and three degrees flatter respectively.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    From the Titleist website

Construction
    8620 mild carbon steel with Tour Chrome and Oil Can finishes for soft, solid feel.

Construction
    8620 mild carbon steel with Tour Chrome and Oil Can finishes for soft, solid feel.
    http://www.titleist.ca/golfclubs/wed...y200series.asp

Standard lie is 64 and construction is 8260 Carbon steel

Different sole designs for either the slider or the digger.

Length varies depending on the loft.

Dynamic lie testing is a good starting point but in the end ball flight and comfort rules.

Whether you take full swings or not your main objective is to make solid contact with minimal adjustments if any.

Length of the club affects the lie angle.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information