CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter SUNRAY is on a distinguished road SUNRAY's Avatar

Question New to Barrhaven

Hey All,

I'm new to the Ottawa area and just getting the hang of this forum.

I moved here from New Brunswick with my girlfriend in October, and bought a home in new Barrhaven. I'm a Royal Military College grad, ex-Army Officer, and thinking about checking out Hylands Golf Club (the Ottawa Military Course). Does anyone have any experience with this course? Pros and Cons?

Also, I just thought fellow Barrhavians would like to know that the Nevada Bob's Golf shop has officially opened inside the Sportchek, at the Rio Can centre. Come in and check out the place!

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SUNRAY View Post
    Hey All,

I'm new to the Ottawa area and just getting the hang of this forum.

I moved here from New Brunswick with my girlfriend in October, and bought a home in new Barrhaven. I'm a Royal Military College grad, ex-Army Officer, and thinking about checking out Hylands Golf Club (the Ottawa Military Course). Does anyone have any experience with this course? Pros and Cons?

Also, I just thought fellow Barrhavians would like to know that the Nevada Bob's Golf shop has officially opened inside the Sportchek, at the Rio Can centre. Come in and check out the place!
    Welcome to Ottawa (and Barrhaven). Thanks for the update on the Nevada Bob's. I have been in there three times now waiting for those curtains to come down, and each time was told a different opening date (the earliest being March 16th so I'm a bit surprised that it is already open). I'll be heading there today after work to check it out!

tmacgolf,

The OFFICIAL grand opening is March 16th. However, we have enough stock, and are getting more and more in by the day. As such, Forzani Group Ltd management wanted to drop the curtains early to get some customers in.

As this was an impromptu opening, the store still doesn't have the flight scope operational. I expect the scope will be up and going within 3 weeks, and we will have full-stock of all traditional brands by about the same time.

This all being said, we have plenty of clubs in, and lots of apparel. I'm one of the sales associates, and look forward to seeing you in the store! I hope this clears things up for you. Have a great day!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Hylands is a solid course, nothing fancy, but conditions are usually good and there is not a lot of trouble on the course. There are 2 18's so lots of choice and it has a good range, good clubhouse and is centrally located. IT's pretty flat, easy to walk and you won't lose a lot of balls. It's close to the airport so the odd jet taking of can be loud but i've never found it a problem. The only down side to me is it can be a little ho-hum at times in terms of scenery and some of the holes may feel a little repetitive but all in all it is a good mid level course. Do a search on Hylands and you'll find a lot of threads on this in the past. Welcome
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Wow... that was off topic.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

???????

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    ???????
    I think he was refering to the post prior to yours.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Wow... that was off topic.
    There were two points in the original post. One about Hylands and one about the opening of Nevada Bob's in Barrhaven, so I'm not sure which response was off topic?

However, and in fairness to you Sunray if you are indeed new to the area, I think I may have fallen prey to a marketing ploy, as opposed to a true "introduction to the forum". What better way for a manager/owner to get free advertising for a new store (I see you have posted the store info in more than one folder). If that is the case, nice touch with the "new to Barrhaven title" as well as knowing where to reach the target audience.

Hoolio you been drinking already?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Apparently the expiry date on the milk I put in my coffee isn't just there as a ploy to have you buy milk more often than every 3-months. My appologies... I guess I just got confused between the two threads started which both mentioned Nevada Bob's.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hey Everyone,

First of all, thanks for welcoming me to the Forum. I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my post.

Yes I am new to Barrhaven, and yes I do work at Nevada Bob's Golf.

jeffc,
    Thank you for your information on Hylands. I plan to try it out once the great thaw is done, and they are open for business. Although, my understanding is that I will have to go on a waiting list as I am no longer a Regular Force Officer, nor am I a pensioner (I was only in for 8 years prior to my injury, and subsequent medical release). But, I guess that gives me the opportunity to try out everything in the area for at least one season, and possibly choose another course. Who knows?!... Does anyone have any suggestions for Barrhaven/Nepean area?

Hoolio and Tmacgolf,
    Please accept my apology if I have crossed over a Forum NO-GO line; I didn't intend it that way. I merely thought people from Barrhaven would like to know about the store. I know I was excited when I heard a golf store was opening in my neighbourhood, and thought others would be as well.

If you folks would prefer it, I can contact the administrator and have this post deleted. Or, is there a way to delete it myself? The last thing I want is to have people hate me day 1 on this forum, and day 3 at my new job.

Respectfully,

SUNRAY

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No worries Sunray. I don't feel you crossed any lines, and it's kinda my call.

Blatant self promotion is frowned upon in the open discussion forums, as some folks abuse forums to that end. I'm not at all concerned about that in this case.

Obviously we want to hear news of new local golf facilities and that's all good. A little free forum promotion that draws customers can demonstrate the effectiveness of the site and motivate you to advertise with us.
    Welcome to Ottawa and the forum. I hope you enjoy it here. Good luck with your new venture.

BTW: If you have special promotions feel free to post them in the Classifieds.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by SUNRAY View Post
    Hey Everyone,

First of all, thanks for welcoming me to the Forum. I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my post.

Yes I am new to Barrhaven, and yes I do work at Nevada Bob's Golf.

jeffc,
    Thank you for your information on Hylands. I plan to try it out once the great thaw is done, and they are open for business. Although, my understanding is that I will have to go on a waiting list as I am no longer a Regular Force Officer, nor am I a pensioner (I was only in for 8 years prior to my injury, and subsequent medical release). But, I guess that gives me the opportunity to try out everything in the area for at least one season, and possibly choose another course. Who knows?!... Does anyone have any suggestions for Barrhaven/Nepean area?

Hoolio and Tmacgolf,
    Please accept my apology if I have crossed over a Forum NO-GO line; I didn't intend it that way. I merely thought people from Barrhaven would like to know about the store. I know I was excited when I heard a golf store was opening in my neighbourhood, and thought others would be as well.

If you folks would prefer it, I can contact the administrator and have this post deleted. Or, is there a way to delete it myself? The last thing I want is to have people hate me day 1 on this forum, and day 3 at my new job.

Respectfully,

SUNRAY
    Sorry if that came accross wrong, it wasn't my intention. A sincere welcome to the forum, best of luck with your new job (I'm quite happy to have the Nevada Bob's in Barrhaven), and again welcome to the Ottawa Golf community. I can't give any feedback on Hylands, but I'm sure if for no other reason than proximity to your job, you'll probably find yourself at Stonebridge before the summer is up. If that is the case, my advice is stock up on balls before you leave work, that course can eat them in bunches!

sunray, check out the featured courses tab at the top left. there is a map there with lots of options near Barrhaven. Stonebridge, Manderley, Emerald Links, Cedar Hill, and even eQuinelle. My favs of those would be Stonebridge, eQuinelle and Emerald Links.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Sunray,

I was at Hylands for 12 years but left last year for Executive Golf. Left for a variety of reasons including increased pricing, fewer games golfing these days (25-30 per year), slowness of play frequently, and primarily - a desire to play the numerous other great courses in the region.

As has been mentioned, the two 18's are very forgiving and are usually in very good shape - and early. Hylands is one of the few clubs that covers the greens with canvass, then straw, and then another canvass for the winter. The result is almost no winter kill and excellent greens right at the beginning of the year. Speed of the greens is medium. The courses also drain extremely well; the whole course is bone dry within minutes of a heavy rainfall.

You might want to check out the waiting list requirement. I wasn't the only one who left last year - there was a huge exodus. Consequently, they went completely through all the waiting lists (which were very lengthy) and ended up offering memberships to the general public last year. I don't know what the situation is this year.

One last thought: I would highly recommend that you try out one of the associations (EG, RM or CG) for a year or so. This will give you a very good opportunity to experience many of the terrific courses we have in the region and at a very reasonable price.

Hope this helps ...

Putter Danno is on a distinguished road Danno's Avatar
    Sunray, I can tell you one thing about Hylands. They have an excellent instructor on site. Her name is Pennie Wallin who helped me out a lot at the OAC Winter Golf program this year. Cheers and welcome to Ottawa!

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    If you're in Barrhaven like me, Stonebridge is a no brainer. Equinelle is a great new course about 20 mins south in Kemptville. Then theres Emerald Links in Manotick...play the West & East course. Manderley is ok if you want to play a 6 hour round. You have to play Loch March in Kanata, about a 25 min drive, probably my favorite.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Manderley is ok if you want to play a 6 hour round.
    Not any more. 10 minute tee times on weekends.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information