CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar

3 Ball drill cure the slice or hook

Check this video out, have been doing this to help me control the fade and draw, or just to hit it straight, i find this to be the greatest simplest tool to help cure slice or hook.

my bad guys
    http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-ho...e-3-ball-drill
    Last edited by habsfan; 03-08-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Hey, I do not see the video link??? Maybe its just my computer filter at work?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Wood jet84 is on a distinguished road
    Not your computer. I don't see a link either.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    not sure if it was fixed, but it works for me.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by rfarinas View Post
    not sure if it was fixed, but it works for me.
    He added the link this afternoon.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks Habsfan, pretty good drill, also on Videojug is Rikard Stronhert, great little lcips from him
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Check this video out, have been doing this to help me control the fade and draw, or just to hit it straight, i find this to be the greatest simplest tool to help cure slice or hook.
    It IS an excellent drill and since most golfers swing over the top to some extent, it forces a proper inside move and if one swings like the instructor, a much smoother rhythm.

However, to gain maximum benefit from the drill, those more learned in neuroscience would suggest this:
    1. 4 slow practice swings without the middle ball - followed by
    2. 4, 60% effort, full swings hitting the middle ball, then, and MOST IMPORTANTLY,
    3. 4 full swings at the "middle" ball, after having removed the other two.

To change a poor habit into a good one takes time and a lot more time than some think. Therefore, this drill must be used, almost daily, even if it is just practice swings without the middle ball and full practice swings with no balls at all.

#3 is important because your subconscious is "processing on the fly" and it will pick up cues from the swings you did in #2 and the command you gave yourself BEFORE starting #3, that is, when only the "middle" ball is there. ("I will swing from the inside") When you make the swings in #3, you MUST NOT be thinking of HOW you are making them.

Just as our subconscious is better able to execute habits you already have, it also is a much more efficient learner than using our conscious, that is, if you only use conscious swing thoughts, you will never make what you are trying to achieve, a habit. (Dr. BC)

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Lyle, can you direct me to a link or a book on the part of your statement I have bolded?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    It IS an excellent drill and since most golfers swing over the top to some extent, it forces a proper inside move and if one swings like the instructor, a much smoother rhythm.

However, to gain maximum benefit from the drill, those more learned in neuroscience would suggest this:
    2. 4, 60% effort, full swings hitting the middle ball, then, and MOST IMPORTANTLY,

To change a poor habit into a good one takes time and a lot more time than some think. Therefore, this drill must be used, almost daily, even if it is just practice swings without the middle ball and full practice swings with no balls at all.

#3 is important because your subconscious is "processing on the fly" and it will pick up cues from the swings you did in #2 and the command you gave yourself BEFORE starting #3, that is, when only the "middle" ball is there. ("I will swing from the inside") When you make the swings in #3, you MUST NOT be thinking of HOW you are making them.

Just as our subconscious is better able to execute habits you already have, it also is a much more efficient learner than using our conscious, that is, if you only use conscious swing thoughts, you will never make what you are trying to achieve, a habit. (Dr. BC)
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

well said, u have no idea, and most of you will find out the level of concentration needed to hit that ball, it will change your perspective on golf in general, it now takes me at least 10-15 sec. before i initiate my takeaway, I zone in and almost try to look through the ball its hard to describe, but most of you will understand. + the fact i was at kevin haime doing it with 40 people watching me so i made sure i hit that centre ball everytime, nothing would be more embarassing then having three balls go in different directions.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Lyle, can you direct me to a link or a book on the part of your statement I have bolded?
    "Double Connexion"
    Carey Mumford
    www.clearkeygolf.com.
    An ebook, but there are references in the "Articles" section of Carey's website. Read "How Learning Takes Place" first, but the others are very interesting, as well. Here is a quote form the article:
    But if we wish to learn something that has the character of a habit, we have to alternate between repetition that learns a skill (conscious competence) and the repetition that develops a habit (subconscious competence). Repetition that merely keeps on repeating is found to waste both time and energy, unless it is organized in “fours.” The last sentence refers to those of us who are "ball beaters."

Likewise "A Blueprint For Golf Excellence - Building a Swing You'll Never Forget" by Kevin McMullen kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net Another ebook

From various sources over time, I have encountered the similar idea of doing things in fours, doing things in slow motion and static positioning many times before doing it, (whatever it may be) at full speed, but I don't have a list of them. A couple come to mind, "The Brain" by Restak, "The Emotional Brain" ??? are two challenging but interesting reads.

The Bertholy programmes, which I have referred to a number of times both here and on TGN and are the basis of Kevin's Blueprint..., are the closest to any instruction that I have encountered that relates directly to how our brains actually function in learning to make our golf swings true habits.

The best one to ask about other references is ADSKA as he has done some research in this area and has written paper(s) on the research and on a study that he did with some of us at Greensmere a short while ago.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 03-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Great stuff. I definitely have to work on this.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Thanks for this. I will check it out.
    "Double Connexion"
    Carey Mumford
    www.clearkeygolf.com.
    An ebook, but there are be references in the "Articles" section of Carey's website. Read "How Learning Takes Place" first, but the others are very interesting, as well. Here is a quote form the article:
    But if we wish to learn something that has the character of a habit, we have to alternate between repetition that learns a skill (conscious competence) and the repetition that develops a habit (subconscious competence). Repetition that merely keeps on repeating is found to waste both time and energy, unless it is organized in “fours.” The last sentence refers to those of us who are "ball beaters."

Likewise "A Blueprint For Golf Excellence - Building a Swing You'll Never Forget" by Kevin McMullen kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net Another ebook

From various sources over time, I have encountered the similar idea of doing things in fours, doing things in slow motion and static positioning many times before doing it, (whatever it may be) at full speed, but I don't have a list of them. A couple come to mind, "The Brain" by Restak, "The Emotional Brain" ??? are two challenging but interesting reads.

The Bertholy programmes, which I have referred to a number of times both here and on TGN and are the basis of Kevin's Blueprint..., are the closest to any instruction that I have encountered that relates directly to how our brains actually function in learning to make our golf swings true habits.

The best one to ask about other references is ADSKA as he has done some research in this area and has written paper(s) on the research and on a study that he did with some of us at Greensmere a short while ago.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    nothing would be more embarassing then having three balls go in different directions.
    Peanuts, I could do that no problem and embarassement is my middle name
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Peanuts, I could do that no problem and embarassement is my middle name
    L
    Luc believe me when i say it willl change your approach at address, i always knew to try and stay relaxed and focused but not at that level, man u have pretty good swing im sure you'll be fine.

You got me wrong, I said I would easily hit all 3 balls in different directions!!! This looks like a tough drill.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    You got me wrong, I said I would easily hit all 3 balls in different directions!!! This looks like a tough drill.
    just use that 100yd club tha buried me last summer, guaranteed you'll hit dead centre everytime, u need to use the same confidence u have with short game and carry that over to ur long game, i remember u were lights out with your wedges.

That's the plan, if the long game comes around like my short game I should reach my goals this year. And yes the wedges were very tight on the back that day and the putt on 13 helped out as well. Thanks for the link, I looked at some of the other videos from the same guy, very simple but effective stuff.
    Last edited by leftylucas; 03-11-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information