So I'm at a local flea market this morning looking for a used vice for my workbench. As As I'm about to pay for the vice I say to the guy "hey, you got any old golf clubs?". He says "yeah, Shed 13, way at the end"
It was a long walk to Shed 13 so I almost didn't go, but at the last second I thought "hey I need an Hogan Apex wedge shaft, maybe there'll be an old Apex wedge in there"
In Shed 13 I found the usual assortment of junk. Rusting store-brand clubs all jammed into big barrels, bullseye mini putt putters etc. I sifted through most of the stuff but it didn't look very promising.
As I moved jammed old clubs around in one large blue barrel I could see a red shaft band that looked like an apex shaft. I dig into the the irons and pull out a BRAND NEW Ben Hogan FTX 5 iron with an Apex 4 steel shaft, with the plastic still on the head!
OK, now I dump the whole barrel out and start going through it. Inside were 2 more new FTX 5 irons, one with no plastic on the head and a tiny bit of staining on the back (it'll clean up), 3 or 4 new Ben Hogan BH-5 5-irons and finally a new FTX 6 iron however with a graphite shaft but also no plastic on the head.
So I take the FTX 5 and 6 irons with no plastic on the heads back to the counter, hold them out and say 'how much for these two golf clubs and the vice'. 15 Canadian loonies later I am driving down the road with my workbench vice and two Ben Hogan FTX long irons
I think once I pop an Apex 4 steel shaft into the 6 these should work pretty well mixed in with my old Hogan blades.