+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron Caddyshack04 is on a distinguished road

Glenmar Golf & Country Club

Hey Everyone,

Haven't been on in a bit. Have a Q/opinions. How is Glenmar to play??? A few of us are looking at joining there but want to make sure it is worth it. Your feedback would be more than appreciated.

Regards,
    The Shack!
    Cheers,

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For lack of a better term, I'll call the course "interesting". If you like to hit driver, look elsewhere. I host my MTO tourney there every year, and every year I hit driver maybe 3 or 4 times. The course is rather short with lots of doglegs. For instance, there is a 422yd par 5 on the back, only because it is a double bender.

It's a fairly tight course and will make you think. Conditions are generally good, greens in pretty good shape. The 18th is a bit of quirky finishing hole. It's shaped like a horseshoe with a big bunker right in the middle of the U shape.

I know you'd rather have your membership paid and be ready to play once the season starts, but I'd recommend playing it first, just so you know what you're getting into.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    one of my fav couses in ottawa for the price. short, tight and keep it in the fairway. i think they need to have their slope and rating checked because the course is much harder than it says on paper. don't know anyone from another course that shoots their cap when they play there
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    The sourse is always in great condition. The first cut of rough is rough to get out of so it pays to be on the fairways and really punishes for a stray shot. The greeens are always very fast and true.

What I don't like are the size of the greens. They are tiny - especially hole #10 which is a +200 yard par three. Many others are also very small making GIR a dream.
    #18 green, as mentioned, is horseshoe shaped with a sand trap in the middle - am I allowed to chip from green to get to other side?

Another pet peeve is the marshals, who sometimes blame the wrong people for slow play and won't even allow a push cart closer to the green than a power cart.
    Last edited by stevek; 03-03-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i played with jarred there once and he played driver on 10... on the green lol. 200+ yards, but its always into the wind and 3h is never enough to get there even into a light wind.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    one of my fav couses in ottawa for the price. short, tight and keep it in the fairway. i think they need to have their slope and rating checked because the course is much harder than it says on paper. don't know anyone from another course that shoots their cap when they play there
    Since 90% of a courses rating is based on length, the rating of 70.2 IS appropriate for GlenMar. However, it is a course where IF you hit the ball straight, you are rewarded, but if you hit it crooked, you are punished more than other venues that are more wide open. Your range of scores will be greater than if you played Greensmere for example. Simply, GlenMar requires more skill, consistency and less power.

Golfers actually play to their handicaps on the average of only 25% of the time, and so it is understandable why players with handicaps established on more forgiving courses, might have scores lower than the rating, a lower percentage of the time.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddyshack04 View Post
    How is Glenmar to play??? A few of us are looking at joining there but want to make sure it is worth it.
    In a word - flat. It's definitely not my favourite track, but it is a pretty good value.

IMO, it's too flat, and there's too many tight, and boring holes.
    I've also found the staff...uh...let's just say less than courteous on more than one occasion.
    The 18th green is a really lame-ass way to finish your round, and frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been changed yet.

Having said that, I played one round there last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Bouche
    It's hard as rock, straight and extremely short. I find it a super easy course. Some blind shots and you need to land your shots like 10 yards in front of the green and hope it stays on the green.

Thats what I remember of it from about 6 years ago

Thread Information