+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron Biffster26 is on a distinguished road Biffster26's Avatar

Skycaddie vs Golflogix for Smartphone

I know this was partially discussed in a previous thread but I have a few specific questions that hopefully can be answered. I currently have a skycaddie SG2 which I have had for tthree seasons now. I have been quite satisfied with it and have pretty much used it for front middle and back on my approach shots.

As I am coming up to having to renew my yearly fee for skycaddie ( I subscribe to the $64.95 USD Double Eagle Worldwide service as I have successfully used it in Canada, US, Bermuda and Italy) I contcted Skycaddie to see if they had an upgrade program to get some of the newer technology of either the SG5 or the new SGX and was informed they a do not have anything yet but are "working on it" which does not give me a good feeling of anything beneficial coming of it.

I am now thinking of putting my money into getting a smartphone with the golflogix apps as I am in need of a new cellphone soon anyhow. My questions are as follows

1.What is required in my smartphone to get it operational i.e what kind of plan with Rogers do I need? What is the cost for GPS, data etc? Will I get dinged with a bunch of extra charge for using it regularly 2-3 times a week and 4-10 days internationally a year?

2. Has anyone comapred the two devices and how do they compare?

7 Wood scooby103 is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

I have not used a stand alone unit, but have used both Intelligolf on the Blackberry and now use Golf Logix on the Motorola Milestone (Android OS). Between the 2 of them, there are some clear advantages to both...

Intelligolf:

Great desktop software. Synced with ease on my blackberry and transferred all pertinent info. Looked great and used minimal battery power. GPS on it was o.k. but not the greatest. Really, it was excellent for tracking your score and doing some comparison between rounds on the desktop. Had some cool features for wagering during the game, etc. However, I didn't find the GPS was the best. I used it on a Storm as well as a Tour and neither were excellent. Also, there is a HUGE database of courses, but not all of them are accurate. As Kilroy mentioned you have the ability to upload *revised* course info to intelligolf but there is no way for them to verify. I did some changes to the courses I played and kept them myself. Overall, as a scorecard and golf tracking software it was excellent. GPS.... it was o.k.

I'm now using the Golflogix software on my Milestone and visually it destroy's the Intelligolf system. And, the GPS is far superior. It seems fairly accurate (within 3 yards I would say), and does a good job of tracking my score when playing. It also has an ability to upload your info to the golf logix servers to compare your scores - but it is in no way as good as Intelligolf on this front. I keep the GPS on for the whole game, track my score, get email, calls (god forbid on the course) and walk off with still over 60% battery life if I start off full charge. I have played Vieux Moulins, Prescott and Irish Hills so far this year and the software was perfect. Obviously, can't comment on all courses in Ottawa but I have spoken to the course developer at GolfLogix - Andrew - and he has assured me they have the best course database and I have no reason to doubt him.

Intelligolf is a one time fee program with excellent statistical tracking and on course scorecard with an insane... yet not perfect course database, and from what I got from it limited GPS ability.

Golflogix is a $40.00 / year subscription program with amazing GPS ability, a seemingly accurate and limitless course database, but a limited stats tracking system.

Hope this helps you. For me, I need the 2 companies to join forces and and make an EPIC PROGRAM TO RULE THEM ALL.

Muhahahah.
    The difference between involvement and commitment are like a egg and ham breakfast, the chicken was involved, the pig was commited.

Thread Information