CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Would you trade Canada's 13 gold medals for the gold in Men's Hockey?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

24 88.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question How important is hockey gold to you?

Canada is poised to set the all-time record for gold medals at a Winter Olympics, but if you could, would you trade the 13 we have for the one we Canadians covet the most?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    it's VERY important to me...I have a bet with sillywilly for a sleeve of balls! (but not worth trading the other 13 for...just)

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Same reason as Goochy...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Baxter
    Ok...I'm the one that voted yes...Don't kill me guys...Just understand that I 100% LOVE Team Canada Hockey...To me it's the Best of the Best Hockey and I LOVE each and every one of these guys(Past & Present) that try to bring pride and respect to Canadian Hockey.
    I hate the bashing. They should never be bashed for playing for Canada. To me this is 100% anti Canada. These bashers stay hidden until a lose. Then they come running out as fast as they can to say all kinds of rude things about the players and insulting stuff to the fans. I'm You all know what I'm talking about. Just pick up a Ottawa Citizen, National Post or Globe if things don't go as well as most would like on Sunday.
    Each & Every guy that is lucky enough to wear that Canada Jersey gives his all to win for Canada...For the Pro's it's about Pride and for the kids it's about pride and their future. The Pros risk more than they gain..they all know the Hockey World is gunning for them...If they win..They should and if the Don't they are ripped apart by Canada coast to coast. But they do it...because they love our Country. That alone should be enough to stop the bashing but it won't...
    If Team USA does not win..what do they face? Nothing..They played well and should lose against Canada, they are Hockey Nation...
    Of course it's only a game and in the REAL world means what?? Nothing, win or lose..and I had another doses of this late last night with a family member getting up there in age. Our Home phone rang with a little scary news and the TV went off and real life kicked in. We don't live for ever and nothing is better than a loving family..nothing...
    But I would still trade 13 Golds for a win Tomorrow..LOL....
    I think Canada will win, most times I think they will win but not always...but please, guys that are hoping for anyone but Canada or hoping for a certain player to win on Team USA..Just remember that these are fellow Canadians and that our Guys...Gave and will give everything they have to do themselves proud, Canada Proud and All Canadians Proud, even the ones that don't like them can still take pride in how they stand up for Canada...so don't bash them to bad if and when you get the chance...Now if they do something stupid..they are fair game and I will join you..but for going out to try and win a game and coming up short...not so much....I hope you guys understand my point with Team Canada.

Have a Great Night and lets hope for the Game of Our lives on Sunday...just recall 72, 87, 02...those were special and I hope to add another....

Cheers and good night..I have to go and get my Red Maple Leaf to bed. Busy day for him on Sunday...

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    these guys are all cup winners, they grow up dreaming of winning the cup, not gold. they play a game and make millions of dollars doing it. i would much rather have a amateur athlete take home a bronze, fulfill a life long dream and live the greatest moment of their life than have 20 over paid spoiled athletes win a gold that is valued less than the stanley cup, their contract and endorsements.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    At first I thought I would trade all those medals for 1 gold. But then I thought of all the incredible performances and the amount of effort put in by all the other athletes. They are the ones whose accomplishments truly deserve to be celebrated. I'm not trying to knock the hockey players, as they work incredibly hard, and put their hearts and souls into it like anyone else. But the folks who will hang up their skates, skis, boards, sleds, and brooms tomorrow and head back to the office for a 40 hr work week, training in their spare time, are the ones who make the olympics special.

We have won the games...we have owned the podium...we have shown the world what Canada is all about. We have been hosts to one of the greatest olympics ever - an olympics that was a true celebration of both sport, and our country. Our athletes have done us proud on the world stage, and have reminded us that you can be loud, proud, and patriotic, without losing the friendly, welcoming, polite nature that makes every one of us stand that little bit taller.

So, would I trade 1 gold in hockey for 26 other medals? Not a chance in hell.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post

We have won the games...we have owned the podium...we have shown the world what Canada is all about. We have been hosts to one of the greatest olympics ever - an olympics that was a true celebration of both sport, and our country. Our athletes have done us proud on the world stage, and have reminded us that you can be loud, proud, and patriotic, without losing the friendly, welcoming, polite nature that makes every one of us stand that little bit taller.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Best olympics ever? In what terms? Outside of Canada, the games have been criticized. For OUR country, totally agree. But as far as the global history of the games...

At first I thought I would trade all those medals for 1 gold. But then I thought of all the incredible performances and the amount of effort put in by all the other athletes. They are the ones whose accomplishments truly deserve to be celebrated. I'm not trying to knock the hockey players, as they work incredibly hard, and put their hearts and souls into it like anyone else. But the folks who will hang up their skates, skis, boards, sleds, and brooms tomorrow and head back to the office for a 40 hr work week, training in their spare time, are the ones who make the olympics special.

Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I love Hockey. Especially Olympic hockey. But when I heard the fans start singing O' Canada during(I think) the 9th end of the mens curling game I almost teared up. What an amazing games! All fans should be extremely proud of our athletes, not just the ones who won medals. Would I trade all that for one gold in Men's Hockey. Why should I? We are going to win gold absolutely! I believe!!!
    "Get your smile on!"

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    It's going to be an EPIC final!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    we won't have to trade those 13 gold for the hockey gold cause we're gonna win it anyways. End of story.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I got some angry replies on my facebook page when I posted that I don't care about Team Canada as much as I do the Senators. I go by how I feel during the game, that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Well, I just don't have it as much for the Olympic team...

Although, last night during the curling, I was definitely nervous...and actually ** off about the singing of O Canada during the 9th end. If ever there was a possible jinx, that would have been it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Ok...I'm the one that voted yes...Don't kill me guys...Just understand that I 100% LOVE Team Canada Hockey...To me it's the Best of the Best Hockey and I LOVE each and every one of these guys(Past & Present) that try to bring pride and respect to Canadian Hockey.
    i won't kill you for voting yes. You are clearly a super passionate hockey fan. Thats awesome and thats what makes this country the home of Hockey

Baxter
    Now why is it that post not a surprise? Just had to toss it out there Silly?....To bad it always looks like there is bait on the hook...and the comments don't come across as real...I guess way to many hooks to fool us fish all the time...

What a Great interview with Brian Burke... Are we sure he's not one of us???
    Last edited by Baxter; 02-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    I got some angry replies on my facebook page when I posted that I don't care about Team Canada as much as I do the Senators. I go by how I feel during the game, that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Well, I just don't have it as much for the Olympic team.

i totally agree with you sensfan. i dont care for these hockey olympics. canada winning the gold in hockey is as anticlimactic as watching the yankees win a world series. i read somewhere that canada's cap hit would be around $88 million if you added up the salaries of all their players. the US is half that, around $40 million. so it's already known that canada has the best talent. that being said, canada should be a little concerned that this is the best team they've ever had and the americans are hanging in with them. 2-2 now.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i totally agree with you sensfan. i dont care for these hockey olympics. canada winning the gold in hockey is as anticlimactic as watching the yankees win a world series. i read somewhere that canada's cap hit would be around $88 million if you added up the salaries of all their players. the US is half that, around $40 million. so it's already known that canada has the best talent. that being said, canada should be a little concerned that this is the best team they've ever had and the americans are hanging in with them. 2-2 now.
    Never said I don't care. Not at all. Just not as much as the Sens. I have to admit, however, that when my wife took my hands and showed them to me, they were wet and clammy and sweating. So, obviously, there was some care.

If you don't like Olympic Hockey... you don't like hockey. This is the best hockey you will ever see... Fast, lots of action, not many penalties, not many whistles, did I say fast... are you kidding me. This is hockey at his best.

Congrats to both team for a great Sunday afternoon... and now back to the bad and crappy Sens, Habs and Leafs.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    If you don't like Olympic Hockey... you don't like hockey. This is the best hockey you will ever see... Fast, lots of action, not many penalties, not many whistles, did I say fast... are you kidding me. This is hockey at his best.
    i'm saying this tournament doesn't have parity like the NHL playoffs does. but hey, canada's that good. congrats to them on the win.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    who said hockey is no fun without fighting, it was great
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Best olympics ever? In what terms? Outside of Canada, the games have been criticized. For OUR country, totally agree. But as far as the global history of the games...
    Rogge has said that they have rivalled Sydney and Lillehammer as one of the greatest olympics ever, and many sportswriters are saying similar things. Many of those who criticized the games (in the first 4 days) have now changed their minds, or been drowned out by the voices of those praising these games as a true embrace of the olympic spirit. They'll go down as one of the best games, for sure. Nobody would argue that the games were executed with the precision of Beijing, but they were much more widely embraced by the city, the country, and the world. They were not simply a series of athletic events to be observed (as in Beijing) but were an event and an experience to be enjoyed by all who were involved. They've provided a compelling experience, both to the athletes, the tv audience, and the spectators who have flocked to Vancouver. Were they perfect? No. But they were bloody awesome. The tabloid writers from the UK who were trashing them in the first week are now eating their words. London will have a tough time rivalling these games.

I agree with you completely. My sense is that the games were very well received south of the border as well. As for the hockey, it was refreshing to watch fast paced hockey in which the goons and fighting had been removed. In some ways, it reminded me of the New Year's Eve game between the Canadiens and the Russians. Great stuff.

Rogge has said that they have rivalled Sydney and Lillehammer as one of the greatest olympics ever, and many sportswriters are saying similar things. Many of those who criticized the games (in the first 4 days) have now changed their minds, or been drowned out by the voices of those praising these games as a true embrace of the olympic spirit. They'll go down as one of the best games, for sure. Nobody would argue that the games were executed with the precision of Beijing, but they were much more widely embraced by the city, the country, and the world. They were not simply a series of athletic events to be observed (as in Beijing) but were an event and an experience to be enjoyed by all who were involved. They've provided a compelling experience, both to the athletes, the tv audience, and the spectators who have flocked to Vancouver. Were they perfect? No. But they were bloody awesome. The tabloid writers from the UK who were trashing them in the first week are now eating their words. London will have a tough time rivalling these games.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

I agree with you on the whole jonf. These were an excellent games.

One must take with a pinch of salt what the President of the IOC says at the end of games though. They ALWAYS say the closing games were "the best ever" or something similar. The only major exception to that was Atlanta 1996 where Samaranch made a point of not saying that and the games were generally slated from an organisational point of view.

The only real criticisms of these games from around the world was the weather (which obviously no one could do anyhing about) and the sliding track which received criticism from many many countries...especially after the horrible tragedy on the eve of the games.

As to London 2012, it really is impossible to compare Winter and Summer Olympics in terms of scale and structure. I am sure London will do a great job (it will be the only city to host an Olympics 3 times). And no matter what a great job they do (or otherwise) The tabloids in the UK will slag them off...it's what they do, even to their own.

All the comments I've heard from mates back in the UK heavily involved in sport were full of praise for an amazing Canadian performance, a GREAT host city, and a very successful games

I thought the hockey was fantastic (and not just because I won a sleeve of balls). I reallly do prefer Olympic Hockey for all the reason already stated and because since the NHL players involvement it really is the best against the best. Plus playing for your country should always be something very very special, no matter what country or what sport

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Canada is poised to set the all-time record for gold medals at a Winter Olympics, but if you could, would you trade the 13 we have for the one we Canadians covet the most?
    No.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I have to disagree. These guys deserve to be paid at the top of their profession, its not their fault. Would you turn down a raise? Someone is obviously willing to pay it.

The Olympics are unpredictable, if they went by script it should have been either Russia or Sweden in the finals, not the US. The team with the most talent doesn't always win when the playoffs start. I think these guys showed a lot of heart.

Herm Edward has a message for .... Nokids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

No Olympics tonight... I am bored!

Baxter
    Well...it was fun..but it was missing...The little punk that hit Pronger with the elbow in the face...or the bozo that hit Iggy with the head shot...or the high stick to Sid, the Knee on Perry....It would have been great to see these chickens have to worry about getting pounded for the cheap shots that they give out...If the boys were allowed to stand up for themselves or each other...Canada wins easier than they did....100%

2014.hmmm No - Niedermayer, Pronger, Boyle, Iggy, Bergeron, Thornton, Marleau..

hmmmm - add - Green, Phaneauf, Bouwmeester, Hall, Stamkos, J.Stall, Duchene..that's just for now for replacements....we win...

just to toss that out there for fun...
    Gold Medal Final....Team Canada vs. Team USA...marked it down..
    2014 Gold Medal Champions for Mens Hockey is......

Team Canada AGAIN...

Baxter
    these guys are all cup winners, they grow up dreaming of winning the cup, not gold. they play a game and make millions of dollars doing it. i would much rather have a amateur athlete take home a bronze, fulfill a life long dream and live the greatest moment of their life than have 20 over paid spoiled athletes win a gold that is valued less than the stanley cup, their contract and endorsements.
    I believe this to be true at a rate of 100% at one time...
    But since 1998 and even more so with 2002, it has started to changed. You than add in the Great World Jr's...Did you see Sid's face after he scored the goal?
    Did you hear what he said? "That he dreamed of scoring the winning goal for his Country as a little Kid"....
    I think the young players now dream of both...Playing for Canada and Winning the Cup....

It's a nice thought(But not a real one) about the Bronze medal winner.. that guy had the same Dream of Playing in the NHL, winning the cup and for Team Canada, just like Sid...but was not able to do so....because he was not good enough to Play for either..so he went to the National Team when the best players were busy playing in the NHL and not allowed to play in the Olympics..or like Eric, having a contract issue so he went to play for Canada with other jr players like juneau and hirsch...
    Every hockey player dreams of the NHL and big money rather than a bronze medal. But if you would rather have lesser players to watch enjoy the Spangler Cup...How much of that event did you watch? Daigle looked a lot better now than he did in 1992...LOL

Thread Information