CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: How many putts per round do you average?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm superman. <= 27

2 1.56%
  • I putt like a tour player. 28-30

23 17.97%
  • Average golfer. 31-33

59 46.09%
  • Could use some work. 34-36

32 25.00%
  • I suck. 37+

12 9.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Thanks JVincent, I've been thinking about your joke about the putter psychiatrist, and I think your right. It seems there had to be something going on between my ears when it comes to putting. I mean after all how can I miss so many relatively easy birdie putts on the course when I can hit a ball into another ball from 5 foot all day long in practice sessions on the putting green. I figured out that when I play with people I know I subconsciesly don't try to make the putts just so people will not resent me as much when I beat them. After all I didn't beat them by much and I figure they'll think that at least they're better putters then I am!!! I did some number crunching on the rounds that I played by myself or with people I didn't know that wanted me to put on a show and go as low as I could. I found out that when I got really aggressive and tried to impress people that I played with instead of lay back and not ruffle feathers I averaged 68.6 per round with 5 birdies, I also had a slightly higher number of bogies at 2.38 per round. I really need to get to play with better players that won't hold good play against me, so I can go balls out all the time.Thanks again for you coments. Frank

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You're welcome, and since I'm not a licensed psychiatrist, no charge.

If you weren't in Pittsburgh, I'd say we should hook up for a round and you could see aggressive (and alternating brilliant and horrible) golf in action.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Red face

The only reason my putting has improved from around 33 putts per round to about 28 is better chipping, but more importantly, missing greens.
    Why missing greens? Because I am just off the green alot lately, leading to putts/chips from just off, that leave me with one putt.

Less putts, but similar scoring avg. Its all the same.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Lob Wedge john doe is on a distinguished road
    I have ranged in handicapp anywhere from 8 - 20 in the last 15 years depending on how much I play, which in the past few years has been infrequently. I have been on good rolls with the putter and bad, good years and bad for that matter.

What I have always look at is my ability to average 3 strokes to the hole with an 8 iron or less. I can hit an 8 comfortably 150 - 160. If over the course of my round, if I average 3 in these situations (typically this situation potentially happens about 12 times a round), I come out of a round feeling good. High iron, two putt, I'm happy. High iron, up and down, I'm happy. Anything else, I'm not and consider it a blown stroke. Anything better, I'm really happy.

I play the game to get into this range. How far do I need to hit it off the tee to get to my comfort zone? Sometimes based on the way I feel about my game or how the look from the tee suits my eye, I back way off with my club on the tee. I often hit mid irons to get me to my comfort zone rather than driver/3 wood.

I find getting to my zone in the least amount of strokes lowers my score more than where I am in the zone. By that I mean, a driver might get me 80 yards out whereas a 5 iron 150 out. But the 80/150 difference doesn't mean as much to me as the potential trouble I introduce with the driver.

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    Well i average between 30 and 36 putts a round, because greens are really fast. I changed putter , and depending on the roll conditions, you'd better choose between a blade or a mallet or large head putter. I only play with a blade now, and when i switch to a mallet, it seems so easy, but the feel isn't as good. Putting is really crucial, as it is the only part in golf that still has a part of alchemy. I don't have problems on short putts, which means, don't think and putt. On longer putts, it's quite a question of physics. The best thing to do would be to measure the speed of the green with the stimpmeter, then calculate the trajectory , and perfectly execute your shot. Which is imposible... So it requires a part of mystery, some call it feeling , but feeling comes with practicing. I once practices my putting 10 hours a day, during 3 days, and on the course , it seemed to head to the hole and the speed was great. It's muscular memory i think. The best thing is to have a solid routine , and do what you have to do, without thinking about the surrounding people .

A bunch of recent activity on this creaky old thread.

I just noticed that we have our first Superman. I'm curious who you are and what your GIR average is.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Had my best round of the year last week, 77, and I had 29 putts. 29 putts is pretty decent for me, I'm usually slightly over 30. So if I had putted like Mike Weir in his first round last weekend, 21, I'd have shot a 69. Does putting really matter?

BTW; my son shot a 38 on the back nine with 7 one putts. It matters!

Exceptional putting rounds always help. I had a couple of 24-25 rounds last season and scored very well.

But the point is that you can only catch lightning in a bottle every now and then.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    After what we saw last Sunday they should be called "Vijay days"... Where you make everything from everywhere.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    After what we saw last Sunday they should be called "Vijay days"... Where you make everything from everywhere.
    Don't forget Mikey Days...........he'll make any thing

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    A bunch of recent activity on this creaky old thread.

I just noticed that we have our first Superman. I'm curious who you are and what your GIR average is.
    You don't remember Bucky from a couple of years back??? We all thought it was Sillywilly (Richard, Dick, ThoTho)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    i average between 32-36 every round and im somehow a 2 handicap.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    i average between 32-36 every round and im somehow a 2 handicap.
    ......That just tells me you hit a lot of greens in regulation.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    You don't remember Bucky from a couple of years back??? We all thought it was Sillywilly (Richard, Dick, ThoTho)
    Some of us still do.....
    We also think the guy who posted his picture with "The Big Cat" was also Silly
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Thread Information