100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron MikeL is on a distinguished road MikeL's Avatar

Which driver should I buy

I've been browsing the Golf Town website and noticed a few drivers that are on sale. I need another driver, and im only looking to spend 175$ total (or less of course). Here are the drivers that have drawn intrest:

- Adams Speedline - 150$
    - Callaway Hyper X - 150$
    - Cleveland HiBore XLS - 150$

Should I wait in April and hope that there will be more sales, or is this the time to buy?
    Should I go with a used club and pay around that same price (or less), for example, an Ft-5?
    I'm looking for a driver that's easy to hit, adds distance, and hopefully last me 3 years or so.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Mike

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    It's all going to boil down to personal preference.

I went in to GT with a friend a couple of weeks ago because he was in the market for a new driver and he fully intended to buy an R9. He hit 5 or 6 different brands and discovered to his disappointment that he didn't like the R9. Imagine his disappointment if he'd just bought it then found out in the spring he couldn't hit it.

One suggestion I wouldn't hesitate to make though is to try a bunch of different ones first, find the one that "fits" you. Come back here and check the classifieds. You may just get the deal of the year.

Good luck.

I agree 100%.

Since this is my first time shoping for a driver, I don't really know when is the best time of year to buy a new driver. I wouldn't really want to miss out on these sales. My concern - will there be sales at the start of golf season?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanter View Post

I went in to GT with a friend a couple of weeks ago because he was in the market for a new driver and he fully intended to buy an R9. He hit 5 or 6 different brands and discovered to his disappointment that he didn't like the R9. Imagine his disappointment if he'd just bought it then found out in the spring he couldn't hit it.

One suggestion I wouldn't hesitate to make though is to try a bunch of different ones first, find the one that "fits" you. Come back here and check the classifieds. You may just get the deal of the year.

Good luck.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I agree 100%.

Since this is my first time shoping for a driver, I don't really know when is the best time of year to buy a new driver. I wouldn't really want to miss out on these sales. My concern - will there be sales at the start of golf season?

Thanks.
    Now is a great time to buy a driver, there are still a bunch of demo drivers leftover that are in good shape. Also, with all of the new product coming out already, most of last year's drivers are on sale for under $250, if not even much less.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanter View Post

Good luck.
    some call disappointing others call it ho'ing
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    I've been browsing the Golf Town website and noticed a few drivers that are on sale. I need another driver, and im only looking to spend 175$ total (or less of course). Here are the drivers that have drawn intrest:

- Adams Speedline - 150$
    - Callaway Hyper X - 150$
    - Cleveland HiBore XLS - 150$

Should I wait in April and hope that there will be more sales, or is this the time to buy?
    Should I go with a used club and pay around that same price (or less), for example, an Ft-5?
    I'm looking for a driver that's easy to hit, adds distance, and hopefully last me 3 years or so.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Mike
    GT in Kanata has a bag of decent drivers leftover from the demo sale. The big ticket ones (G10, R9s, etc.) are priced at $175 each, although I suspect you could get them to knock a few bucks off if you asked, as they have been sitting there for awhile, and they don't include headcovers - which is actually pretty poor. As for the ones you suggested... go to GT, get them taped up, and have a few cracks with them. Then post the exact specs on the one you liked the best on the forums... chances are someone here has one in the basement needing a new home .

If you are looking at Cleveland, you might want to snoop around for an old Cleveland Launcher 460 Ti. They are great drivers, and they can typically be picked up used between $40 and $80.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    The '09 Cleveland Launcher is on sale right now at GT also for $150..... massive long and easy to hit! The XLS is also a great club but gets some getting used to with the shape, not for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    As for the ones you suggested... go to GT, get them taped up, and have a few cracks with them.
    That's exacly what I've done, and the Hyper X seemed to work better for me. However, I found an FT-5 with a Diamana Blue Board w/loft and flex that I'm looking for, and in my price range.

So my big question... should I buy a cheaper driver that's new, or go with the better driver which is used, but in really good condition? I just want your opinion, I understand that one might be better for me, but I feel that with practice I can get used to whatever I buy, if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    If they both fit you, go for the Ft-5. Newer technology, WAAAAAY better shaft than the stock hyper x and its only $25 more...seems like a no-brainer!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I love these types of threads...LOL.

I would go with the FT-5 if it's in good shape. It's a great driver!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    I love these types of threads...LOL.
    I need some advice.. and my girl friend won't give me any advice on this so I have to turn to this message board for some opinion that helps me. hehe

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I need some advice.. and my girl friend won't give me any advice on this so I have to turn to this message board for some opinion that helps me. hehe
    Sorry I didn't mean it to come across like an A%&hole...I just find these types of questions kind of silly. Ultimately it will come down to which one feels the best to you. How I swing my driver can be completely different for you, and you don't want to purchase any golf club because it appeals to the masses, it needs to fit your game. I sincerely hope you find one that you like.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The FT-5 with that combo is a cannon. It almost knocked out my 905 last year. Talk to BNeil on here, I think he still has one for sale. I think the FT-5 is a much better driver than the X.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    The FT-5 with that combo is a cannon. It almost knocked out my 905 last year. Talk to BNeil on here, I think he still has one for sale. I think the FT-5 is a much better driver than the X.
    I think my decision is made. Thanks for the info, really helpful.

Quinner - I never thought for a second that you were an A-hole for the comments you said. I understand what you mean, and I do understand the fact that everyone is different.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Mike:

Of those three the XLS is the most forgiving. It also has the best stock shaft, particularly the Gold Fuji if your swung speed is below 100 mph. If higher, look at the same driver with the Red Fit-On shaft.

The search is over - I bought the FT-5 w/diamana blue board from bNeil.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Thread Information