CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Verplank back to the tee

Scott V hit a wayward tee shot, and a provisional. After declaring the ball lost the tour officials sent him back to the tee??? The PGA official had made an incorrect ruling.

As it turned out Scott's next ball was in better position than the provisional that he had hit, which was in a fairway bunker, so it ended up being to his advantage. Now he lays 3 in the fairway.

Afterward there was some discussion to clarify that Scott would "not be further penalized" for not playing according to the actual rules, but for following the (mis)direction of the official.

Gimmie a break! Scott should be compensated for being given an incorrect ruling.
    Oh 'scuse me, they never do that do they?

YeeHaa! The boys are back!

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    I didn't see the incident, but apparently the Tour officials thought Scott had found his first ball and it was unplayable.

A player can never be "further" penalized for following the directions given by an on-course official.

A ball cannot be declared lost.

Tour officials never SEND anybody anywhere.

If an incorrect ruling adversely affects the player, the ruling will be overturned by the committee.

YeeHaa! Grumpy ol' Rulesnut is back!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Well, hey stranger!

They gave up after 5 minutes and the ball was "deemed" lost. Is that better?

The official said that since he had played the provisional ball "for an unplayable", it could not be used in the case of a lost ball. This had Turrico and Baker-Finch scratching their heads in the booth.

Obviously this was indeed a whacked ruling with no understandable misinterpretation of anything that even remotely resembles a rule of golf.

If an official tells you your provisional ball is out of play, and you must return to the tee to play another ball, and offers you a cart to get there, you are being sent... no?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dan Kilbank

If an official tells you your provisional ball is out of play, and you must return to the tee to play another ball, and offers you a cart to get there, you are being sent... no?
    In the real world of officiating (as opposed to the cartoon like officiating on the PGA Tour), an official offers NOTHING to the player.

A player make ask an official ANYTHING and the official would respond with the appropriate options. The player may then choose one of the options.

In the aforementioned scenario, the conversation should have been similar to this:

Scott: What do I do now?
    official: What have you done so far?

Scott: I hit my tee shot over here and I hit a provisional ball. I cannot find the ball over here.
    official: Your only option is to play the provisional ball. Would you like a ride?

BTW- The official in question seriously needs to increase/decrease his medication.

Thread Information