CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Will we win a medal in men's hockey?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 66.67%
  • No

7 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Will Team Canada (Men) Medal?

If they don't, these games will be considered a massive flop for us.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i thought the games were already a failure.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...996/story.html

oh and yes the men will medal in hockey.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It's not been a complete failure. Virtue's and Moir's gold medals in ice dance represent the first time that anyone in North America has won gold in that discipline. Hopefully, their moving performance last night will inspire the Canadian hockey team to win gold. My guess is that will only happen if they play three lines and not four as they are presently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i thought the games were already a failure.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...996/story.html

oh and yes the men will medal in hockey.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    If they don't, these games will be considered a massive flop for us.

I will be routing for the mens hockey team and all the athletes but I think overall this Olympics has been a flop for Canadians.. Possibly due to all the media hype.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginker View Post
    Possibly due to all the media hype.
    do you believe ?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I think they will medal. In order to win we knew they would likely have to beat the Swedes and the Russians anyway, now we just get to add a win against the US or Finns as well.

I wouldn't consider the olympics a flop at all, the games have brought the country together and some of the highest ratings ever in Canadian television. So what if we haven't won all the medal we were "supposed" to win, no country has. We have also had athletes step up who weren't exactly expected to win the medal they did.

I know for certain I will remember the performances of Bilodeau and Montgomery along with the excitement leading up to the olympics that I have never felt before another games.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    I dont think they will medal, and I could care less if they do. The idea of these guys getting $$$ for a gold medal sickens me. Would rather watch guys like Montgomery the auctioneer win it all. Much more in the Olympic spirit as it was really intended.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    I dont think they will medal, and I could care less if they do. The idea of these guys getting $$$ for a gold medal sickens me. Would rather watch guys like Montgomery the auctioneer win it all. Much more in the Olympic spirit as it was really intended.
    I wouldn't call it $$$ for these guys more like 1/2$! These guys are likely gonna donate that money back to the COC so let's hope they do medal, an extra $400,000 plus back to the COC would be great.

If you think a gold medal means more to Montgomery than Crosby or Nash, you are mistaken. Just look back at the faces and reactions from 2002 in Salt Lake

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'll say yes , the loss to the USA team is the slap in the face that team Canada probably needed .
    They'll need to dig deep but i think they'll do it.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think the olympic committee set themselves up for failure predicting Canada would finish first in medals. Really, do you think the athletes want to hear that? It seems we also awakened the other giants, mainly the US who do a lot of training with our athletes and couldn't help but hearing about this goal. Better to go in as the underdog and surprise them all.

As for the Canadian team medalling, in Salt Lake, we were 1-1-1 after 3 games and won the gold. If I was to bet, I would say they don't win a medal, but who knows....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I think these games have already been a great success, as has the "own the podium" program. Ultimately, the olympics is a one-shot event. One tiny error can take a medal favourite out of contention. Even the best can falter. The success of the own the podium program is that Canada has gone into nearly every event with legitimate medal contenders and favourites. The program will also continue paying dividends down the road. As these athletes return to the Olympics in 2014 with more experience, and with one olympics under their belt, they will be even better equipped to handle the pressures of the occasion.

If you focus only on the medal tally you're missing the point. We had 3 men finish in the top 9 in the 30km pursuit. The best ever finish for a canadian before that was in the 20s. We had a ski-crosser who was not even on the team until the day before the competition make it into the semis. We've had an absolutely absured number of top 5 and top 10 finishes.

Canada has created a team that now has depth and potential like it never had before, and that potential will only grow over the next 4 years.

Ironically, I think some of our athletes have suffered slightly from the home venue. I'm thinking specifically about the speedskaters. They're not used to having 6000 people screaming at the top of their lungs. When you're on a quick pace, and they're screaming like that, it has got to be hard to to push it just a little bit too much, and suffer at the end. I think we saw that with Nesbitt in the 1500, and the Hamelins in their final.

Also, with the exception of this thread, one thing I have noticed with these Olympics is a drastic change in attitude from Canadian spectators. Whereas in past years, it was the failures and dissappointments that have taken the headlines, Canadians and the media are focussing much more on the great successes we've had. Rather than harping on the fact that Hollingsworth missed the podium, we celebrated Montgomery's triumph.

Also, each individual medal has meant so much more than ever before. You can see it on their faces, and you can hear it in the crowds. Canadians are more proud of their athletes than they have ever been, and I think the athletes are more proud than ever to be wearing the maple leaf. That's victory enough for me.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Yes they will medal...absolutely...hopefully it will be Gold

As to these Games being a flop I strongly disagree. Seriously, what did people expect, that we would win more medals in the Winter Olympics than the Germans or USA?

The truth is we are not a sports super power. We are the ONLY country to ever host an Olympics and not win a Gold and we've done it twice! (Montreal 76 and Calgary 88). By that standard I think these Games have been a huge success.

10 (5 gold) medals already and a very real chance of a few more (including a decent shot at gold in Curling (both) and Hockey (both)).

I think if people (the tabloids?) had slighty more realistic expectations, and remembered just how unbelievably close international sport is (often decided by 10ths of a second) then we could/should be celebrating more.

I have really enjoyed these Games

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I think these games have already been a great success, as has the "own the podium" program.
    The goal of Own the Podium was to place #1 in medals. So far it has been a dismal failure in that regard. We are sitting 5th with no chance or reaching the 1st or 2nd spot. I think a more realistic goal may have been top 3 in medals.

With respect to your other points, however I agree. Canada has come a long way in the last 20 years with respect to the Olympics and we should continue to improve. We don't need to win the medals to be successful. There will always be winners and losers win it comes to these games and we had a bunch of coulda/shoulda type folks that lost and not many that came out of nowhere to win. We'll do fine and I'll be proud of these folks in the end.

It's kinda like an athlete guaranteeing a victory. Although in this case, the guarantee came from a bureaucrat and not an athlete.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Just because the public and the Canadian Olympic Association had ridiculously unrealistic goals doesn't mean the Olympics have been a failure. I and my family have been quite happy to watch the performances and appreciate the efforts of the athletes. Sports is not all about winning, although many journalists and armchair athletes don't have a clue about any of that.
    As for the men's hockey team... how many times does Canada have to beat the other countries before hockey fans in this country can take a pill. If we win we win and if we lose we lose. It does not change the fact that Canada is the greatest hockey country in the world. The fact of the matter is we could field 3teams with a chance of winning the tournament, but we're only allowed to enter 1.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Jonf, I wrote about the same post on TGN. I am so tired about the negative post about the olympic athletes. It has been a great Olympic and it is not finish.

For example, the Hamelin brother are rank 3rd and 4th in the 1500m and they finish 4th and 5th... I don't know how many people ask me what happen... nothing, it was a great race... they went for Gold and didn't make it.

They all tried so hard and are so awesome. Last night (on RDS) they mention talking about Virtue and Moir, they were mentioning that Tessa Virtue has to undergo massage for 1½ hour before practice and 1½ after practice. Are you kidding me... most people would have quit... will she be back for 2014... it will depend of her legs. She had chronic exertional compartment syndrome, had surgery in 2008 but it still hurt a lot.

These athlete (most of them) work to hard to have people criticizing them.

PS: In cross country skiing the highest finish before was Alex Harvey's dad, Pierre Harvey... finish 14th in the 30 kms event. He was also a summer Olympic athlete competing in cycling events.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    It does not change the fact that Canada is the greatest hockey country in the world. The fact of the matter is we could field 3teams with a chance of winning the tournament, but we're only allowed to enter 1.
    I agree completely. I have this argument with people back in the UK all the time. Even if Canada is not the very best hockey team at an exact point in time (like at Turin) Canada is still the greatest hockey country. It's about the history, the culture, the place the sport holds in the nations psyche as well as titles. It's similar to how the English feel about Soccer, we've only won the World Cup once (a ridiculously hard feat in itself) but we will always consider it "our game" even when we're not playing well (which is most of the time..lol).

I really hope the men win gold on home soil, I genuinely believe they can

Sorry, I was expecting a much better showing. To me, this has been a flop. Still has a ways to go though.

Tonight... they are trying Crosby, Staal and Iginla...

Nash goes with Getzlaf and Perry

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    It is absolutely beyond me how someone could believe that these Games have been a failure. How on God's green earth can Canada be expected to beat the US in medal count? They have 10 times the number of people, AND corporate and government sponsors that actually fund their teams. Canada has just recently embarked on this Own the Podium program, and people expect instant results, why? Because, as one very astute poster pointed out, "a bureaucrat told them?" Patience, please.

Ridiculous.

will germany get a shot on goal? really.

Canada won 24 medals in 2006. Beat that, and I'll call it a success.

Donny, what if they have the most Gold medals ever?

You have to remember that Canada used to dominate some of the fringe sports, like moguls, aerials, short track, etc., but a lot of countries are now catching up. We used to make our Olympics through those sports. Now, not so much.

Plus, long-track speedskating has been a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    You have to remember that Canada used to dominate some of the fringe sports, like moguls, aerials, short track, hockey., but a lot of countries are now catching up. We used to make our Olympics through those sports. Now, not so much.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    agreed
    Olympics ain't over yet, chum.

no i meant hockey as a fringe sport

The IOC official medal tables and every one else in the world except for USA and Canada ranks teams by Gold medals.

We have a chance of 10 golds...that would be a truly outstanding achievement and may well top the OFFICIAL medal table (Germany topped Turin 2006 with 11). I don't think we will ever compete with the powerhouses in total medals won but in golds.....

With all due respect to every medalist, whatever the colour, it is Golds that really count and I think we are doing fantasticly well.

I went to a coaching conference in London in 1997 where Silken Laumann was a guest speaker. To put things in perspective she said that leading up to Atlanta 1996 Steven Redgrave's boat (the only athlete in Olympic history to win 5 consecutive Gold medals) received more funding from the UK government in 1996 than the entire Canadian Rowing program recieved 1992 -1996. That's what we're up against

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    who have they beat? the won a game in OT and they lose to the US. the games they won were against garbage teams. i don't see how them beating russia or the US.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    who have they beat? the won a game in OT and they lose to the US. the games they won were against garbage teams. i don't see how them beating russia or the US.
    Russia hasn't done anything impressive so far, and have looked to be running around in their own end a lot. They lost to Slovakia, squeaked by the Czechs (two teams that had their hands full against Latvia and Norway tonight). Like Canada, they SHOULD be nearly unbeatable, but both teams have yet to play up to standards. Tomorrow we see which team is here to compete, and which one isn't. Personally, I like Canada's chances (as long as they keep feeding Iggy ice time).

Must say, I did NOT like the decision to have Crosby take the shot. At that point in the game, you have the win. You have nothing to gain by having Crosby take the shot, and you are telling Nash that you don't trust him (after he earned that shot with a lot of hard work). I'm sure plenty of the veterans were a little displeased with the kid getting put on a pedestal like that.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    why not give nash the shot and let him get going a little bit if the scores??? but imagine the storm if nash takes the shot and doesn't score and they go on to lose that game???
    Last edited by spackler; 02-24-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: no cussin willy
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Thread Information