CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar

Swingweight change

I'm looking to swap out the current graphite shaft in my Adams Idea Pro (83 gram) for a steel shaft (~127 gram). I'm wondering what change this will make in swing weight (I want it to play 40.5"; current length is 40.75"). Current swingweight is D2 and I want it to play D4. Can I make the swap and add tape to the head because I don't want to use powder because of the cog change.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    You will have to dry fit it first. The weights mentioned of the shafts are raw total weight. weight distribution will be another factor in the steel shaft. Having said that, mathematically you should be close with the weight and lenght differences, within 1 or 2 points. The grip will be another factor also in final SW.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    http://www.myostrichgolf.com/resources/swing.exe

http://www.equip2golf.com/clubmaking...tml~clubmaking

NOTES 1. All Swingweights are based on the raw weights of the club's components. The shaft is not to be cut to length in order to pre-calculate swingweight. 2. The balance point of the shaft, particularly certain graphite models, may change the final swingweight by several points. A lower balance point will increase the swingweight; higher balance points lower it. 3. A change in the head weight by 2 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Heavier heads increase swingweight; lighter ones decrease it. 4. A change in shaft weight of 9 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Lighter shafts decrease swingweight. 5. A change in grip weight of 5 grams will change swingweight by 1 point. Lighter grips increase swingweight; heavier ones decrease it. 6. A 1⁄2" change in the length of a club causes a 3-swingweight point change. Lengthening a club increases swingweight; making it shorter lowers it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    http://www.myostrichgolf.com/resources/swing.exe

http://www.equip2golf.com/clubmaking...tml~clubmaking

NOTES 1. All Swingweights are based on the raw weights of the club's components. The shaft is not to be cut to length in order to pre-calculate swingweight. 2. The balance point of the shaft, particularly certain graphite models, may change the final swingweight by several points. A lower balance point will increase the swingweight; higher balance points lower it. 3. A change in the head weight by 2 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Heavier heads increase swingweight; lighter ones decrease it. 4. A change in shaft weight of 9 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Lighter shafts decrease swingweight. 5. A change in grip weight of 5 grams will change swingweight by 1 point. Lighter grips increase swingweight; heavier ones decrease it. 6. A 1⁄2" change in the length of a club causes a 3-swingweight point change. Lengthening a club increases swingweight; making it shorter lowers it.
    Thanks for echoing my post Chief. To clarify, I was eluding to the fact that the the existing club already has a sw of D2 and that his shaft no longer weighs 83grs. and nor will the steel version weigh 125 after it is tipped and trimmed.With the info he provided, it was a simple answer to a simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Thanks for echoing my post Chief. To clarify, I was eluding to the fact that the the existing club already has a sw of D2 and that his shaft no longer weighs 83grs. and nor will the steel version weigh 125 after it is tipped and trimmed.With the info he provided, it was a simple answer to a simple question.
    I was not 2nd guessing you. Simply giving the poster more info. As you know swingweight in this particular case won't accomplish diddley squat
    Mahatma Gandhi

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Basically what I'm wondering is that when I swap the shafts, I'm not going to run into any surprises in terms of feel. I know the total weight will be heavier but I wasn't sure if the headweight designed for a graphite shaft will feel okay with steel. Also I have a 16* with a 95 gram vs proto X and I dont want this club to feel much different compared to my irons and hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    Basically what I'm wondering is that when I swap the shafts, I'm not going to run into any surprises in terms of feel. I know the total weight will be heavier but I wasn't sure if the headweight designed for a graphite shaft will feel okay with steel. Also I have a 16* with a 95 gram vs proto X and I dont want this club to feel much different compared to my irons and hybrid
    You can't match feel with swingweight is what I was trying to say. You can have a 43 inches steel shaft driver coming in at D2 and a 45 inches very light graphite shafted driver with a light head à la Taylormade at D2 and the feel and performance will be different. Moreover you have to consider the bend profile of the shafts , torque, bend point tip stiffness etc.. Trying to match by SW imho is futile.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information