CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hunt Club

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Hunt Club

Had the pleasure of playing the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club in the Tunis tournament today and have decided that if Heaven has a golf course, I want it to be like the Hunt.

Perfect fairways, except for the divot on 16, perfect greens and perfect tees. From the tee each hole is beautifully framed by the bunkers and the mature pine trees and is so visually appealing. Just gorgeous.

Money talks.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    How did you do? Are the scores posted anywhere?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Had the pleasure of playing the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club in the Tunis tournament today and have decided that if Heaven has a golf course, I want it to be like the Hunt.

Perfect fairways, except for the divot on 16, perfect greens and perfect tees. From the tee each hole is beautifully framed by the bunkers and the mature pine trees and is so visually appealing. Just gorgeous.

Money talks.
    I caddied a friend at the Tunis today. The Hunt in a beautiful course. Perfect actually. Too bad it’s private. :cryin
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    How did you do? Are the scores posted anywhere?
    75. Made the cut. That was the goal.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    What happened to Jeremiah Shields to get DQ-ed? He was leading by 2 after the 1st round? Did he turn in an invalid scorecard?

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    http://www.golfquebec.org/tournois/2...tats_tunis.htm

I wasn't able to go.. are there any other similar events in the area soon?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Great

75. Made the cut. That was the goal.
    Great shooting, BC. And you're right about the Hunt. It is a wonderful golf course and while I only had the pleasure of playing it once, I still remember quite a few of the holes. Great design, beautifully executed, and always in impeccable conditon.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    What happened to Jeremiah Shields to get DQ-ed? He was leading by 2 after the 1st round? Did he turn in an invalid scorecard?
    There was nothing in the Citizen about this this morning. Unfortunately, this young man needs an attitude adjustment. While it may not be related at all, his behaviour on the course is frequently unacceptable and it is possible that he may not make the field of the OVGA Medal Play Championship in August, because of it. Too bad, because he is an excellent golfer.

I wasn't able to go.. are there any other similar events in the area soon?
    No. The Alexander of Tunis is one of the three major provincial amateur tournaments that the QGA holds. This week the Duke of Kent is played at Royal Quebec, outside of Quebec City and the week after is the Quebec Amateur Championship.

This year it took a differential total of 2.9 to make the field. This is based on the total of 2 scores, score minus course rating, which means that the players have to score about even par for 2 rounds, just to make the field. The 2.9 was a record low qualifying differential total. It simply means that the entire field consisted of very low, single digit handicappers, so the quality of golf, was excellent. Too bad you missed it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    This year it took a differential total of 2.9 to make the field. This is based on the total of 2 scores, score minus course rating, which means that the players have to score about even par for 2 rounds, just to make the field. The 2.9 was a record low qualifying differential total. It simply means that the entire field consisted of very low, single digit handicappers, so the quality of golf, was excellent. Too bad you missed it.
    Just curious, any idea why they take only two differentials instead of using handicap indeces?

Seems like a strange way to set qualifying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    Jeremiah three putted on a hole ( I think 15th). He then dropped his ball on the green, out of frustration :reallymad he swung his putter at the ball and missed it taking a very large divot on the green. His playing partners called him a two-stroke penalty. At the end of the round the officials DQed him.

If he had not been DQed he would of lost by 3 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Jeremiah three putted on a hole ( I think 15th). He then dropped his ball on the green, out of frustration :reallymad he swung his putter at the ball and missed it taking a very large divot on the green. His playing partners called him a two-stroke penalty. At the end of the round the officials DQed him.

If he had not been DQed he would of lost by 3 strokes.
    Thanks, Mike.

A deserving punishment for a childish and dangerous move. Good for the QGA to do it. Nice to see that the new rule regarding unacceptable behaviour has some bite .

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Just curious, any idea why they take only two differentials instead of using handicap indeces?
    Seems like a strange way to set qualifying to me.
    On the contrary. In days gone by when handicaps were used there were a lot of reverse sandbaggers who would doctor their handicap, make it low, so that they could play in the Tunis et al. They would show up, score 85 to 100, literally, and deprive some legitimate sub 5 handicap player from playing.

Now there are a multitude of qualifying rounds both in this area and in the Quebec regions and your placement in the field is determined solely by the scores that you shoot in competition. There are those that get exempt because of stellar play, while the bulk of the field is determined by taking your differential from the provincial ladder. You can see the ladder iof you go to the QGA website(golfquebec), click on tournaments and then on the alphabetical or numerical ladder. It's a great system that gets rid of the cheaters and I am sure that you know there are a lot that would screw around with their handicaps.

It is not published but your inclusion in local OVGA tournaments is also now determined by a ladder system. Virtually every tournament is severly oversubscribed and this ladder helps to get into the field golfers who have proven their ability by previous participation. Each tournament consists of roughly 10% of those who have not participated previously.

Now there are a multitude of qualifying rounds both in this area and in the Quebec regions and your placement in the field is determined solely by the scores that you shoot in competition. There are those that get exempt because of stellar play, while the bulk of the field is determined by taking your differential from the provincial ladder.
    This makes more sense, i.e. entry into "key" tournaments based on previous tournament performance.

The reason I'm curious is that I just signed up for the GAO's public player program so that I can have a legit index and perhaps try some competitive golf.

I'd hate to work at getting a legit index and then be excluded from competition.

The Citizen amateur is a good example. I'm currently an 11.2 (index heading in the right direction though) and I play SB regularly. Based on the scores I saw from the first round I would have been about the middle of the pack. I'd be curious to see what the results are from Talon because I've played there too and scored OK as well. Granted, none of my scores were in a tournament so I'd either crumble under the pressure an shoot 95 or keep my focus and shoot 76 because it "mattered".

This makes more sense, i.e. entry into "key" tournaments based on previous tournament performance.
    The reason I'm curious is that I just signed up for the GAO's public player program so that I can have a legit index and perhaps try some competitive golf.
    I'd hate to work at getting a legit index and then be excluded from competition.
    If you are a local(Ottawa) player, I would like to know why you have signed up with the GAO instead of the QGA, as the GAO has no jurisdiction in the Ottawa area.

THe QGA covers an area including courses in Brockville, Smiths Falls, Cornwall and all other Ontario courses from there to the Quebec border.

I'm sure that the GAO website explains how to get involved in their tournaments if you qualify. They may or may not have a ladder system like the one that the QGA uses.

If you are a local(Ottawa) player, I would like to know why you have signed up with the GAO instead of the QGA, as the GAO has no jurisdiction in the Ottawa area.
    I actually didn't realize that Ottawa fell under the QGA's jurisdiction so I never looked into their public player program. You know, being that Ottawa is in Ontario.

The GAO's tournament schedule is of course biased to the GTA but I'm assuming that my index is valid pretty much anywhere once I get it low enough to think about playing.

Thanks, Mike.

A deserving punishment for a childish and dangerous move. Good for the QGA to do it. Nice to see that the new rule regarding unacceptable behaviour has some bite .
    Yep!!! My sources tell me that he has a history for these types of incidents. I can’t understand him blowing a gasket like that. Three putting is not that big a deal when you are in the lead and fore hole to play.

I was very impressed of the talent there was on Friday. The driving range was a beauty to watch. I am working on my game to get to that level and it would be an honour to play in the Tunis and the Kent.

Thanks, Mike.

I couldn't agree with you more. There is an additonal reason for giving him the boot. As I understand it, the regional golf association has a tough time getting the use of high end courses. When they do persuade one, like the Hunt, to allow them the use of their facilities, the last thing that they need is a player vandalizing the course. Disqualifying someone who acts up like this demonstrates to course owners that the Association intends to maintain real and not just theoretical control over those who play in their events. Bravo to them.

Is he the same fellow who snapped a shaft in half and threw his club into the woods last year after an errant tee shot in the same event at the Rivermead?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Clubs for Sale

Is he the same fellow who snapped a shaft in half and threw his club into the woods last year after an errant tee shot in the same event at the Rivermead?
    Andre:

Would this be one of the places where you pick up your extra clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Andre:

Would this be one of the places where you pick up your extra clubs?
    I seriously thought about fetching it. However my friend Bigeasy advised against it. and since he is a lawyer I figured I'd better listen to him.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I seriously thought about fetching it. However my friend Bigeasy advised against it. and since he is a lawyer I figured I'd better listen to him.
    I know one lawyer who would have said that if you throw your club and then walk away from it, then you've abandoned it. Once that happens, I'd say get your hands on it quickly. You know the saying: "Finders, keepers. Losers, weepers." It is for this kind of practical knowledge that one pursues higher learning!

Lob Wedge freddy is on a distinguished road
    Just played the Hunt Club on Sunday. Weather was great. Course was unbelievable. It's funny, my brother in law said the fairways at the Hunt are like the greens at Glen Mar. Heh heh.

And I may be mistaken, but the member I was with said that guests get a discount when playing with a member.(with tax it was $90. No cash, only take credit cards) but went on to say that even though the course is private, one can play without a member but must be refered and I think its about $150 that way.

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    I played on Saturday right after the Tunis and noticed the big chunk taken out of #6 green on the West course. I was a sizable divot and looked like someone took a full wedge shot off the green, but we couldn't figure out why someone would do it.

Right after we finish the hole, one of the officials from the Quebec golf association filled us in on what happened and then asked one of us to stand beside the divot so he could take a picture with a foot in there to get a reference point of the size of the damage. So in the official report, it is my buddy's foot in the photographic evidence.

The official told us they dq'd the person who did it and we thanked him for doing that. In about 10 words he basically thanked us (as members) for the use of the course and was very sincere in how sorry they were that this happened. Good enough explanation for us and their actions certainly backed up their words.

As far as guest fees go, you do have to play with a member to get on the course and it is $85 plus GST as you stated. The referred rate I believe is if you are a member at another private club, you can have your pro phone our pro to arrange playing privileges, but at a higher rate than a normal "guest of a member" fee. This arrangement I think applies to most private clubs, I had some tenative plans to play Capilano in Vancouver last year that our pro arranged.

The course is in great shape right now. The men's member/guest tournament is this Friday and that is the showcase event at the Hunt, so the crew always gets the course in optimal condition for this time of year.

If your financial conditions allow it, it is a great place to join. Top quality course located within the city, hard to beat.

Oh, ScottyCameron, check your e-mail if you still want to play the Hunt.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Wow... What a ridiculous amount of money to play golf. Oh well, I'm sure that someday I'll get the urge to spend the kids' college fund or sell a kidney on the black market...

I'm wondering, for those of you who aren't members at the Hunt but who have played it: Is it really that much better than a non-restricted course like Stonebridge or Eagle Creek? I find those courses to be overpriced too, but at least they don't have closed doors to the public.

Thanks,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by DewDuster
    If your financial conditions allow it, it is a great place to join. Top quality course located within the city, hard to beat.
    Just curious, what is the sponsorship policy for prospective members?

And if ScottyCameron is busy, and you're looking for a game with somebody that has a loud driver........

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Hunt quality

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm wondering, for those of you who aren't members at the Hunt but who have played it: Is it really that much better than a non-restricted course like Stonebridge or Eagle Creek?
    No contest. My friend is a member at the Hunt and I get to play there now and then. It's a complete package. The course is immaculate from the divot mix boxes on the tees to the correct colour flags on each of the greens. The divots are filled on the fairways regularly and you could probably eat off the fairways.

The pro shop is stocked with anything you want, and they'll get what you don't see. The locker room is large, roomy and there's always an attendant if you don't see what you need. The lounge is as well maintained and served as any restaurant in Ottawa and the view out on the golf course is unmatched... at least for a golfer.

The driving range is a bit abbreviated, but the chipping green is great and the practice putting green is worth half the admission. Anybody who asks me will get the same answer, that being "The Hunt Club is the place to play if you can only play one place".
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    Just curious, what is the sponsorship policy for prospective members?
    I think officially you are supposed to have 2 members sponsor you, but I would guess there are situations where that is not possible. I would contact the club to ask more about this and other membership questions as I'm not the best person to answer these.

Thread Information