100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

Looking for clubs for a 10-12 year old

I have a co-worker who has asked me for help in finding some clubs for his son. He is described as right-handed, 12 years old, but small for his age (maybe 10 sized). Fairly good golfer who has a club membership and plays regularly.
    If anyone has anything or could recommend some new clubs please let me know.

Thanks!
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road
    I had good luck with the US Kids line of clubs for my son. The clubs were light but felt well balanced. The clubheads weren't massive and clunky looking. The shafts seemed very responsive. The lofts were very generous. Sets and individual clubs were available. The clubs were colour coded based on height and playing ability. GolfTown used to carry them a couple of years back but I haven't looked recently. If he hasn't already tried them, I'd suggest heading into Golftown and trying them out. Once my son outgrew the US Kids clubs, I started checking out the GolfTown clearance section for ladies irons and high-lofted drivers. Decent deals are available on ladies stuff if you're patient.

Thanks CB! I will pass along the info.

Reid
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Hi Reid. If you have the will I can give you used iron and wood heads and you can reshaft them with junior shafts
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hey Andre:

That is a great idea and I have the will and the clubmaking equipment. However I don't have the right heads myself for this project. What clubs do you have in mind?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I assume he is right handed. At this point I don't think he needs a driver.
    I have mixed heads nothing fancy.
    It depends on his budget.
    I could be wrong but I believe that for now a 5 wood head would be enough(unless you can get your hands on a oversize 14-15 degree wood head) and a set of 5 through pitching wedge.

Does he want new or used??

There is a guy selling decent heads at a great price on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FAMOUS-Style...item414d2a1623

You would have to have him shipped via USPS though.

Junior and ladies shafts are available at GW

So for around $150 you could build him a decent fitted set with new components. Or less if you want the old mixed heads.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood TORAIDER is on a distinguished road
    Try these guys, they are in ON and they have some awesome deals on closeout heads. No real name brands, but the prices are great. www.eltasports.com/

Thanks for all the info guys! I am looking at a potential set right now. Andre, I will get back to you if it falls through.

Just an update. I had the age wrong. In fact the young man who needed clubs is only 10 years old and small for his age.
    I was able to pick up a set of U.S. kids clubs and bag, graciously offered up by a fellow OGer, which should fit the bill quite nicely. Dad was very pleased with the set when he picked it up from me this morning.
    I want to thank everyone for the help, particularly those who sent PMs suggesting and offering custom fitting. It was an option we discussed, however the purchaser of the clubs felt his son was not yet ready for a custom set. It is certainly something to consider as he grows older, particularly if he shows increased enthusiasm for the game.

Thread Information