CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pitching Wedge Sacs is on a distinguished road Sacs's Avatar

Latest on the Gatineau Golf / Rivermead

Heard the latest news (from a reliable source) ... regarding the Gatineau make over .. it will be ready for this season. One fact that I'm not happy about is it will be Cart Only ...Cost will be around 100.00 to play ! .. .. Which I'm having a real hard time believing with the decline of golfers why would you charge so much and force people to take a cart.

One comment I over heard was ...well most people will come and play once to see it and then not come back. Sure the course has change in a major way and I've walked it and boy has it changed .....At this time they are getting ready to dig a larger water reservel ... clubhouse is still not up ...

What your take on a forced Cart situe ? sure its a bit longer but I still prefer to walk.

Other News Rivermead ... seems hefty price hike was asked to all its Members and they lost a few members because of it... Seems they are having financial problems. Source gossip from a member....

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Not a fan of carts for obvious reasons.Why would they charge 100.00 for a round is beyond me.No course is worth that amount of money.Lets just hope that this is just gossip and they will come to their senses.
    Too bad cause we were looking forward to playing it.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'm also quite curious about the changes, as its fairly close to me, and very close to where I sometimes work. I'll give it a whirl this year for sure, hopefully not for $100.
    I don't think you'll find a lot of people on here who like a cart mandatory policy, we should always have a choice, but I understand why courses do it.
    I've heard the opposite about Rivermead, that they are soliciting new members at very good deals, a lot less than you'd expect for a course of that calibre. All pure heresay, of course.
    Still, its pretty amazing how much I would have to cough up if I wanted to join a course similar to Renfrew down here. There are benefits to living in the upper ottawa valley.
    Andrew

RE: Rivermead is from a x member of the board..... and I keep stating ..if golf course keep on getting creedy they will loose the average joe....
    If you find this Golf Ball its mine

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Pardon my ignorance...is Gatineau Golf a new course or one that is being redone? I assume from the OP that it's being re-done but I have never heard of it.

I think they have fairly well gutted the old course and are building (or have built) a new course on the same property. You can get sort of a peek at it using google maps satellite and street view, but its a little outdated.
    Andrew

I have honestly never heard of it.

Never heard of the Gatineau .... my God its been around since 1924 .... you can find it Aylmer Quebec... club house burn down in the 50's its was a center point for dancing and drinking ... and yes its a complete reno ... they must of added 10 inches of black soil with sand ... I know they also built a few more water holes.... no longer will you be able to bomb a 360 yard drive on number 5 as it was all clay before and the ball would bounce forever ... it was one of the course on Reservation Master ..its been closed now ...2 years I think ... Anyway I found a 1913 Coke Bottle in one of the glass dumps... from the early days.... Ok I guess that too much info lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacs View Post
    Never heard of the Gatineau .... my God its been around since 1924 .... you can find it Aylmer Quebec... club house burn down in the 50's its was a center point for dancing and drinking ... and yes its a complete reno ... they must of added 10 inches of black soil with sand ... I know they also built a few more water holes.... no longer will you be able to bomb a 360 yard drive on number 5 as it was all clay before and the ball would bounce forever ... it was one of the course on Reservation Master ..its been closed now ...2 years I think ... Anyway I found a 1913 Coke Bottle in one of the glass dumps... from the early days.... Ok I guess that too much info lol...
    I live in the west end of Kanata and CL doesn't own it (JK) In my 12 years of playing golf I can't say that I have ever heard anyone ask me if I wanted to go and play the Gatineau. Closed for two years?!...I am sure it was a beauty before they closed it for renos.

It was not a great course... well knowed to be a poor man's Golf Course... it was usually the first course to open and the last to close...grass was brown in summer with lots of dandelions in the spring .. allot of wild life though foxes , deer , dogs , cats ...lol that all going to be history now.... too bad cause I hate having to pay allot just to whack a ball around a field...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    They must have built a brand new course because I can't picture the old Gatineau being improved to the $100/round level of the Marshes, Eagle Creek, etc.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    They must have built a brand new course because I can't picture the old Gatineau being improved to the $100/round level of the Marshes, Eagle Creek, etc.
    been thinking the same thing
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It is a complete rebuild. They lost the use of the land south of the clubhouse. The entire course now goes up beyond where the old 11, 12, 13 holes were. It now snakes it's way through the new Richcraft development.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    It is a complete rebuild. They lost the use of the land south of the clubhouse. The entire course now goes up beyond where the old 11, 12, 13 holes were. It now snakes it's way through the new Richcraft development.
    Will we still be able to drive the carts over the the grocery store and buy beer? I thought that was the best feature of the old Gatineau.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

No I don't think so. That is the section that is gone.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Does the same company own Champlain and Vieux Moulins? If so, wonder if the improved conditioning of Gatineau will rub off to these courses.

Yes they do.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Wonder if Gatineau will be part of RM, EG or CG this season?

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Will we still be able to drive the carts over the the grocery store and buy beer? I thought that was the best feature of the old Gatineau.
    I thought I was the only one to have done that ! I wiped out on the floor when I walked in the grocery store because of the steel spikes !

Gatineau will be part of the Reservation Masters group of courses.

Birdie BOB LEFEBVRE is on a distinguished road BOB LEFEBVRE's Avatar

Ownership

I thought the CHAMPLAIN was owned by the NCC the GATINEAU was owned by RICHCRAFT and the VIEUX MOULINS was oned by EDGAR ELLIOT and NEIL ELLIOT from SHAVILLE, has there been some sales that has not been in the news.

They are all managed under long term leases by the same management company. They run the operations and will for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB LEFEBVRE View Post
    I thought the CHAMPLAIN was owned by the NCC the GATINEAU was owned by RICHCRAFT and the VIEUX MOULINS was oned by EDGAR ELLIOT and NEIL ELLIOT from SHAVILLE, has there been some sales that has not been in the news.
    I know Edgar and Neil personally, but I don't think they have had anything to do with lvm for years.
    Perhaps a little inappropriate to discuss their private business affairs on the interwebs.
    Andrew

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I think buying beer at Loblaws before or during a round at Gatineau wa s atradition. Sadly, no more unless you go beforehand on your way.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Well, there is no doubt that this course will have to be extraordinary to compete in that area at that price. I remember their greens to be very fast and true. The lay of the land does not lend to any particular spectacular views and I do not think it is particularly hilly but it will be interesting to see. I wonder how much of their membership they retained, it was not expensive and with this long drought I wonder if they have any left. I for one will not pay $100 to play, I rather play Le Sorcier or Outaouais 2x for the same price.

Check it out on Google and I was surprised at the amount of land they have. Again it will be interesting to see what they do with what they have. I guess the RO and Rmead will finally have some competition. Not sure what kind of clubhouse they will have but at $100/game it should be pretty spiffy.
    Last edited by leftylucas; 02-17-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Sure

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    I thought I was the only one to have done that ! I wiped out on the floor when I walked in the grocery store because of the steel spikes !
    It was probably your 3rd trip into the store, no wonder you wiped out. Let's see, slide over waiting on the tee at old #3, once more on the way to #5, and then of course on the way to 17 tee.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gatineau is due to open June 15.
    It is a complete rebuild. Nothing remains of the old course.
    It will be priced on par with other public courses in the area.
    It will not be carts only.

Thanks for that clarification, Dan. I for one am quite excited to give it a try.
    Andrew

Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Gatineau is due to open June 15.
    It is a complete rebuild. Nothing remains of the old course.
    It will be priced on par with other public courses in the area.
    It will not be carts only.
    Its amazing after reading this info Dan how this thread went to town (myself included). Its good to know the real story. Now we know how Tiger's story went so crazy. Thanks Dan
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Its amazing after reading this info Dan how this thread went to town (myself included). Its good to know the real story. Now we know how Tiger's story went so crazy. Thanks Dan
    I heard clublink was buying Gatineau.

kidding.....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information