100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar

Gainey done as Habs GM

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    You can't fire me, I quit!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Nothing will change. Gauthier was in the organisation for 6+ years. I will be surprised if anything happens this year. Hope I’m wrong.

Concerned Habs fan....
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    To pose a question I heard on the radio today: "What happens to Carey Price now?" Both Halak and Price are RFA's so obviously they can keep both, but will they?

Price has always been Gainey's guy and possibly he's also Gauthier's guy, but what do you all think?

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Last year Gainey fired Carbonneau for the team's state of affairs. This year he fired himself.

The man has gone through so much in the past few years with his family tragedies that I think he may have just needed a break from the spotlight. He looks exhausted.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    To pose a question I heard on the radio today: "What happens to Carey Price now?" Both Halak and Price are RFA's so obviously they can keep both, but will they?

Price has always been Gainey's guy and possibly he's also Gauthier's guy, but what do you all think?
    I would sign both and deal one of them to get something good in return unless teams bid high for one of them before the deadline.

Price is a huge talent but I don’t like his composure. He always looks discouraged when he gets scored on. His shoulders drop and he looks for somebody to blame. That annoys me. Gaolers should have rock solid attitudes. You get scored on, move on and keep working. That’s why Halak is #1 now. He never quits and he takes full responsibility all the time.

I don’t care who they keep. Actually they might regret it but if the price were right (pun intended) I would deal Price and keep Halak.

Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    Last year Gainey fired Carbonneau for the team's state of affairs. This year he fired himself.

The man has gone through so much in the past few years with his family tragedies that I think he may have just needed a break from the spotlight. He looks exhausted.
    You are so right. He has never looked the same since he lost his girl. But that does not excuse that he had a job to do and he was poor at it. We all have our problems but life goes on. I sympathise with him and I have no clue what he went through but the spotlight in MTL is enormous. He looks like he should have left 2 years ago.

With this happening so close to the deadline I think it might have something to do with getting rid of Price. Dont think Gainey would do it so managment will. Just a really weird time for a GM to step down!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think it would be a mistake to give up on Price already. Halak is not a high ceiling goalie like Price is.

I feel bad for Gainey that he couldn't get the job done and had to leave. One of my very favourite Habs, and the first decent GM since Savard (who I thought was terrible), probably since Pollock. I think his big mistake was firing Julien.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    With this happening so close to the deadline I think it might have something to do with getting rid of Price. Dont think Gainey would do it so managment will. Just a really weird time for a GM to step down!
    He said he was not committed to the team for another 3-4years thus he felt that somebody else should decide the future at this point. But I think you might be on to something.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    I thought of this but after watching the press conference I didn't have that feeling at all. Gauthier and Gainey seems to be on the same side...

That is a big decision to trade a young goalie... Luongo was traded after 24 games, Hasek was traded after 20 games, Gigučre was traded after 22 games, Vokoun was traded after 1 game and I am sure I forgot some...

PS: Where did these 4 goalies started their career?
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    I thought of this but after watching the press conference I didn't have that feeling at all. Gauthier and Gainey seems to be on the same side...

That is a big decision to trade a young goalie... Luongo was traded after 24 games, Hasek was traded after 20 games, Gigučre was traded after 22 games, Vokoun was traded after 1 game and I am sure I forgot some...

Might not even be all about Price, could be even bigger than that. Being tired is one thing but to go right now suggest there is a problem between him and managment over a player issue. Have heard a few things about people in Montreal wanting Koviu back and rumors of getting rid of Plekenic have really heated up over the last week or so. Moves gainey would not want to make.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post

You stumped me on Vokoun. NYI (Luongo) Chicago (Hasek) Hartford (Giguere) for the first 3. Later traded to Florida, Buffalo and Calgary.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Pretty sure Vokoun was a hab. Didn't know Giggy started with the whale though.

Yep, Vokoun has a Habs. Theo was the one they kept.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post

Molson will pull a Charles Wang and promote Price to GM. His first order of business will be to re-sign Ken Dryden for 12 years, $101M.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information