100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

WHat happened last night with the Sens?

Would anyone have predicted a 5-0 shut out to the Leafs? Toronto is the last place team and they score 3 goals in the first period. Of course 4 penalties in the first period didn't help the Senators. I was in disbelief.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Would anyone have predicted a 5-0 shut out to the Leafs? Toronto is the last place team and they score 3 goals in the first period. Of course 4 penalties in the first period didn't help the Senators. I was in disbelief.
    In hindsight it was a good thing that I missed the game last nite. It was the first game I didn't get to watch in about 15, so it sounds like it was a good one to miss!

Not surprising I guess, they were bound to lose a game and it usually happens when playing one of the worst teams on the planet. They sound like they came out flat and Giggy played well on top of the Sens poor play.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    The Sens looked like Vancouver in the first period of Thursday night's game. They didn't take the Leafs seriously, Elliot let in one bad goal and there were those penalties. Also, I think Toronto had a real emotional motivation after Burke's son was killed the day before. But the big thing was the Sens lack of enthusiasm. On Schenn's goal, after Spezza got his pocket picked, Spezza looked really uninterested in getting back into the play and competing.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The streak can't last forever and they came out flat. Hopefully they can rebound back. Also, Spezza decided to revert back to his old ways instead of keeping with the shooting plan. Kid has a great shot but last night he was looking for the impossible pass. Old habits die hard.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    The proverbial stars were aligned for Toronto. They played with tonnes of emotion for Brian Burke, and coming off blowing a two goal lead with three minutes left versus New Jersey, you knew they were going to be that much more motivated. Similarly, Ottawa comes off a big win versus Vancouver in a battle of top Canadian teams, so a letdown versus the Leafs was somewhat predictable. Put these two factors together, along with some stupid penalties, and you have a predictable result.

Sens aren't nearly as bad as last night's game would lead you to believe, and nor is Toronto as good as last night's game would lead you to believe. The 21 point spread in the standings tells a truer story.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Sens aren't nearly as bad as last night's game would lead you to believe, and nor is Toronto as good as last night's game would lead you to believe. The 21 point spread in the standings tells a truer story.
    I loved (sic) Cole's comment nearthe end of the game, something to the effect that,,, 'The Senators better pick up their socks because they can't afford to go on a 5 game losing streak'

WTF?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I loved (sic) Cole's comment nearthe end of the game, something to the effect that,,, 'The Senators better pick up their socks because they can't afford to go on a 5 game losing streak'

WTF?
    Bob Cole always makes it sound like its game seven of the Stanley Cup. The man has no perspective.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post

WTF?
    thing is, the Leafs can and it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Sens took a couple of dumb penalties and spent most of the first 5 minutes on the PK and gave up a PP goal. A bit tough to get rolling when you have that kind of start. Then Carkner got his ass kicked, which isn't exactly going to light a fire, and to seal it Elliot let in that brutal 2nd goal. That was the hockey game, they weren't coming back from that. They won 11 in a row though, they were due to lay an egg at some point.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    What happened? An NHL team beat another NHL team. It's happened before.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    What happened? The Leafs keep teasing their fans with false hope.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I wasn't surprised. Even when the Sens were tearing up the league, they had a history of playing to the level of their competition. Let's not forget that prior to their winning streak, they lost to Carolina and Atlanta.

Elliot had one weak goal, but he was still solid overall. They'll bounce back.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Good game for the Sens I feel. Whenever you beat a playoff team from the West, you gotta feel good about yourselves. Very happy they gave Elliot the start, he deserves a longer leash with the way he's been playing. Now tied in points for the division, they are really on a great streak and could have the division lead into the Olympic break, which would just be huge for this teams psyche.

Thread Information