CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Not About Tiger!

Was watching some of the Telus Skins game. Couple of very human moments in that event...

1 - Phil sets up to shoot his ball and gets to the top of his backswing when someone's cellular phone goes off in the gallery. The marshall yells out "turn off the cell phones please"! Phil turns around, and in good sportsmanship says "nah, it's okay! It's a Telus!"

Fortunately his caddy didn't throw the cell phone in a water trap.

2 - Big John Daly, on a par 3 as a commercial break was happening, hears someone in the crowd say something to the effect of "I wish I could play in these kinds of tournaments". So, being the "man of the people" that he is, JD challenges the guy to a CTP contest for a case of beer. The guy actually hits the green, but JD ends up closer to the pin. Looks like JD won $45K and a case of beer on that hole!

I mention this because it's nice to see the lighter side of golf from time to time. All too often, these guys are under so much pressure that they seem almost robotic. This really brought the event into my personal sphere of reference, and I congratulate the players of the event for showing us that they are human too (without being *s about it).

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Was watching some of the Telus Skins game. Couple of very human moments in that event...

1 - Phil sets up to shoot his ball and gets to the top of his backswing when someone's cellular phone goes off in the gallery. The marshall yells out "turn off the cell phones please"! Phil turns around, and in good sportsmanship says "nah, it's okay! It's a Telus!"

Fortunately his caddy didn't throw the cell phone in a water trap.

2 - Big John Daly, on a par 3 as a commercial break was happening, hears someone in the crowd say something to the effect of "I wish I could play in these kinds of tournaments". So, being the "man of the people" that he is, JD challenges the guy to a CTP contest for a case of beer. The guy actually hits the green, but JD ends up closer to the pin. Looks like JD won $45K and a case of beer on that hole!

I mention this because it's nice to see the lighter side of golf from time to time. All too often, these guys are under so much pressure that they seem almost robotic. This really brought the event into my personal sphere of reference, and I congratulate the players of the event for showing us that they are human too (without being *s about it).

Dan

Actually, the game was quite fun to watch, except Vijay didn't do too well. That aside, the reason JD said he likes playing this event is because of the light hearted nature of it. Last time, he hit a ball off of a coke can just for fun, and reached the trap in front of the green. Its a lot LESS pressure than a regular PGA even tho, where stats, money, prestige, etc., are on the line.

Anyone go to one of these events, the skin's game in Canada I mean?

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Broken: I like your journalistic inquisite. It's NOT ABOUT TIGER, but hey why not use him to get attention Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by Farzin
    Broken: I like your journalistic inquisite. It's NOT ABOUT TIGER, but hey why not use him to get attention Ha .
    I put that there so that this wouldn't turn into the usual Tiger-talk BS.

DWoods - Never been to one, but I agree with JD about the casual nature of it. It's almost more fun to watch than regular tour events for me. Same with Celebrity Pro-Ams. Love that silly stuff. My favourite was still Charles Barkeley taking his ridiculous swing, and Michael Jordan collapsing behind him in laughter. I hate basketball, and couldn't tell you what those two did on the court, but in the celebrity pro-am they were in, they were hilarious!!! Also, who'd have thought that Alice Cooper was a 6 handicap!?!?!?!?!

Dan

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I played Fontainebleau at the beginning of Jun. I tried to compare their drives with my drives from the same tees on the back nine cause the front tees were modified.

Hank hits it a mile long. It is incredible. I have been told numerous times that I was long but this guy was 60 + yards in front of my drives. My round was fresh in my head and I could not believe the irons he had in his hands coming in.

Did you see Daly taking no time to hit his shots?

I would have loved to play that par 3 13th hole with Daly!

I have not seen the pros up-close yet but I am going at the BC in NY next week. Hope to see Daly nail one 350.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I have not seen the pros up-close yet but I am going at the BC in NY next week. Hope to see Daly nail one 350.
    I was lucky enough to be in England for last year's British Open and went both days on the weekend. I followed Retief Goosen / Greg Norman on Saturday and Phil Mickelson / (can't remember) on Sunday.

No surprise to most of us, the pros play an entirely different game than we do. Retief Goosen hit a 5 iron and the sound it made going through the air was like my driver and I hit it far by most people's standards.

My advice is to pick a group or two and follow them. You get to see them hit lots of different shots and appreciate the way they manage the course, get out of trouble, etc.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Last time, he hit a ball off of a coke can just for fun, and reached the trap in front of the green.
    Not sure of the yeart but I think it was the year before last, but JD also hit a ball off a pencil with his putter on a par 3, I also think(but 100%) that he hit hte green. Gotta luv it
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I liked

a couple of years ago Weir and Mickelson hitting right on a par three and Couples and ???? hitting left handed....all 4 hit the green! amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Not sure of the yeart but I think it was the year before last, but JD also hit a ball off a pencil with his putter on a par 3, I also think(but 100%) that he hit hte green. Gotta luv it
    ya ya, i remember that...amazing.

Broken, I also used to love to watch Bill Murray ham it up in that pro am he used to play. He wasnt bad either.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    I was at the Skins game at Crowbush a few years ago. Standing in the landing area on the 18th hole, we noticed only 3 balls land around the 275 area. Then we noticed another ball way back only about 200 yards off the tee. We thought one of the drives hit a tree or something. Turns out the ball was Daly's - he used a putter to tee off on that hole. He was a crowd pleaser both days.

O'Meara was also great with the crowds - very personable and chatty. Of course he had reason to be as he had just won the Masters and I believe he had also just returned from winning the British open as well. We watched O'Meara and Couples play the 18th 3 times (2 playoff holes). O'Meara hit his three drives within about 3 yards of each other - extremely consistent.

The highlight of the event though was that it was Mike Weir's coming out party. It was his first year on Tour and he just barely missed the top 125 that year and had to go back to Tour school in the fall (which he won). He showed he had a lot of game, was actually fairly competitive in length and of course went on to win the Skins Game at Tremblant and the ACC in Vancouver the next year.

As someone said above - they play a different game.

ya ya, i remember that...amazing.

Broken, I also used to love to watch Bill Murray ham it up in that pro am he used to play. He wasnt bad either.
    Bill Murray is hilarious. Another funny guy to follow around in Pro-Ams, actually two guys, are Cheech Marin and Kevin Costner. Both guys are surprisingly good players, and both have a real charisma to them when in front of the cameras. Honorable mention to Ray Romano and Joe Pesci.

Dan

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Another funny guy to follow around in Pro-Ams, actually two guys, are Cheech Marin and Kevin Costner. Both guys are surprisingly good players, and both have a real charisma to them when in front of the cameras.
    Dan
    It's nice to know Costner is charismatic when he's golfing, because he certainly isn't when he attempts acting.

Quote Originally Posted by mr shank
    It's nice to know Costner is charismatic when he's golfing, because he certainly isn't when he attempts acting.
    Actually I totally disagree with you about this. While he's certainly not one of the very best, he fills his roles very adequately.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I would have loved to play that par 3 13th hole with Daly!
    Yep, a great moment, I think we all wished we could have. Good for the guy who thought about saying it.

Actually I totally disagree with you about this. While he's certainly not one of the very best, he fills his roles very adequately.
    Kevin Costner is an arrogant *** who seeks to capitalize on bad movies. My neighbour is likely his biggest fan, and has made me watch a lot of his works. I personally wish someone would smash this moron's face in with a brick.

As for any of his movies, I do not plan on seeing them as to do so would give this ass-hat even more money. His sick and twisted need to put out such tripe is an insult to anyone with half a brain, and I for one will not be counted among the herds that will surely go see his films.

Kevin Costner is an arrogant *** who seeks to capitalize on bad movies. My neighbour is likely his biggest fan, and has made me watch a lot of his works. I personally wish someone would smash this moron's face in with a brick.

As for any of his movies, I do not plan on seeing them as to do so would give this ass-hat even more money. His sick and twisted need to put out such tripe is an insult to anyone with half a brain, and I for one will not be counted among the herds that will surely go see his films.
    You are such a loser DW.......

Dan

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Tiger who? Never heard of the guy.

You are such a loser DW.......
    Yep! But I know you laughed.

Thread Information