CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road

Membership suggestions

I will be looking to get a membership next season for up to $2000.

I would like it to be within 1/2 bour dirive from downtown and possibly have more than 18 holes.

I would like to get some suggestions now so I can play some of the recommended courses before I join.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    I will be looking to get a membership next season for up to $2000.

I would like it to be within 1/2 bour dirive from downtown and possibly have more than 18 holes.

I would like to get some suggestions now so I can play some of the recommended courses before I join.
    More than 18 holes might be an issue. There are two 36 hole private complexes that I know about, and a couple of 27 hole tracks.
    • Hylands - 36 holes, inexpensive, but hard to get in unless you are military
    • Greyhawk - 36 holes, expensive (11,500 initiation and 2400 a year) Reciprocal play at Hautes Plaines, Kanata, Le Maitre in Tremblant, a couple of courses in Montreal (including Fontainebleau where the Skins game was just held) and a whack load of courses in the TO area
    • Manderley - 27 holes, $1450
    • Metcalfe - Soon to be 27 holes, $1420
    • Emerald Links - 27 holes (but I think there is reciprocal play at Cloverdale) $1995
    • Hautes Plaine (The Dome) - 18 holes, expensive (4,750 initiation and 2,050/year) Reciprocal play at Greyhawk and other Clublink silver and gold courses. Platinum courses cost extra $$$
    I'm sure that there are a few more out there, Meadows has 36 holes but just a playing priveleges type arrangement for reduced fees. Greensmere has memberships and is looking to expand. I'm sure others will chime in.
    Last edited by Colby; 07-08-2004 at 10:48 PM. Reason: EL has 27 holes
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    i'd recommend manderley...the course is in better shape than i've ever seen it in the last 10 years, and the new 9 is wodnerful...in addition to that, i find the play isn't slow anymore...often finishing in 4 1/2 hours on weekends, and much les during the week...

however if you are willing to play 18 as opposed to 27 or 36, stonebridge appears to have a great deal....1900 for full membership + range...it's an amazing deal that i'm assuming ahs something to do with slow sales....there may be an initiation fee, but i haven't heard of one...definatly a course worth looking into for that price

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ros_bif
    however if you are willing to play 18 as opposed to 27 or 36, stonebridge appears to have a great deal....1900 for full membership + range...it's an amazing deal that i'm assuming ahs something to do with slow sales....there may be an initiation fee, but i haven't heard of one...definatly a course worth looking into for that price
    Read the fine print with Stonebridge. Still totally worth it, but there apparently isn't a clubhouse, and it's not really a membership but more of a frequent players deal. At least that was my understanding of it. Still a great deal though.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Emerald Links is 27 holes, not 18

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    dbleber:
    What about a Ottawagolf.com membership. It's a $1000 bucks and you get to play a bunch of courses. I am not sure if you can play all of the courses on the featured list or just the ones on the ottawagolf club link. Dan you should know?
    Denny

You can play all the clubs on the list at www.ottawagolf.com/club

I don't think that's what he's looking for though. Sounds like he wants to be a member at a club somewhere.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road

Manderley...

I'm confused....so I can pay $1400 to get a membership at Manderley (and only Manderley), or I can pay $995 and get a OGC membership that I can play Manderley plus a whole whack of other courses....what are the restricitons on the OGC membership? and what are the benefits of getting a membership at only Manderley (or any club part of the OGC membership)?.

Thanks.

Good Question G8R. I hope there aren't many cause it sounds like a good deal.

We have a number of menberships at the courses on the list 4 - 8 spots per day. The farther you plan ahead, the better the availability at popular courses. Manderley and Chateau Cartier are afternoon only on weekends.

Look at the club page under "Limitations" for complete details.

I want to play them all over the course of the season, and that alone will take 19 rounds to accomplish, so I grab a spot wherever, whenever it is available. This approach has worked for me, and I enjoy the variety. I do not like to play the same course twice in a row. I like to get around to all of them.

The program was not designed for those who wish to play at specific courses all the time. Courses sell memberships, and many have frequent player programs for non members. This would perhaps be a better option for those who are focused on playing a specific course.

There are compromises with any program where you save money. For example, if you join one course, you are limited to that course and must be flexible as to what time of day you play, since other members also want that 7:00 am Saturday morning tee time.

7 Iron Ace-IT is on a distinguished road Ace-IT's Avatar
    Other then there is some limit of membership available to all OGC courses....compare to when you are a member to one Club.....you can golf as you want without wondering if there is some membership passes available.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Memberships

My bias is showing, but I am a member at Manderley and the course is in wonderful shape. The greens are in great shape and the holes, especially from the blues, are a very good challenge. Pace of play has improved with the addition of 9 more holes. A friend and I toured the course (admittedly in a cart) in 2 1/2 hours today.

I have to agree Manderley is certainly in the best shape it's been in for years. This course is becoming a treasure and I have always enjoyed it!

My worry is that I would be joining with 3 freinds and we would want to play together. If we jined ottawagolf.com we may not be able to get tee times as there are only 4 memberships held at most courses.

I would rather be able to play a variety of courses and don't care about the "extras" that you would receive as a memebr of one club.

We always play as a foursome. You just have to plan ahead as far as possible. It is certainly easier as a single to go last minute. If you play 20 - 40 rounds a year go with the regular membership, whch is $239 + $10 to $20 per round, but if you play more than 50 rounds the Platinum ($995) is the best buy.

We will be dropping the price at the end of July for the remainder of the 2004 season. No number has been set yet.

Big_duck
    Greensmere is $1800 plus a $2250 initiation They plan to go to 27 holes in 2005 and 36 in 2006.

Pitching Wedge spart is on a distinguished road
    Suggest you have a look at Pakenham. Membership rates are quite reasonable and I do not believe they have an initiation fee...they also have 27 holes

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Emerald Links is 27 holes, not 18
    That's right, i stand corrected
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    That's seems like a VERY steep price for greensmere...

i personally wouldn't rank it any higher than local golf courses offering 1200-1800$ memberships without initiation...

i found the course isn't in great shape, and imo the layout isn't great either...to be honest, i thought the membership was going to be 1000$ at the most...that is a real shock.

7 Iron owenb is on a distinguished road owenb's Avatar
    Another nice gem is Rideau Glen in Kemptville. The new management has got that course in great shape. The new nine won't be open until next year I believe but a great 9 is already in place. We have had a few rounds there this year already and I can't believe how nice it is and not really busy. I hope you can approach them next year Dan as it's a nice layout and not a bad drive from the city.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Greensmere is $1800 plus a $2250 initiation They plan to go to 27 holes in 2005 and 36 in 2006.
    PSnidddy: if you are serious about enjoying the game and getting good at it, Greensmere is the way to go

I am now leaning toward Ottawagolf.com and would be interested in the possibility of purchaseing a pass for the reaminder of this season as a test.

Dan I know you had said earlier that you would be looking at reducing the cost do you have a price range for the remainder of the year?

Not yet. There will be no announcement before August.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Emerald Links

Emerald Links at only $1995 with no initiation and reciprocal play at Cloverdale Links is an incredible deal, IMHO. The course is always in great shape, and there are never any pace of play issues there. If I had the $$$ I'd be signing up for sure.

I still can't believe someone used the words "Rideau Glen" and "gem" in the same sentence.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by up&down
    PSnidddy: if you are serious about enjoying the game and getting good at it, Greensmere is the way to go
    Greensmere is a very nice course with a large group of good, keen and friendly players. The greens are always wonderful. However, I don't know if it is the best venue for developing a well-rounded game. My reason for saying this is that some aspects of your game will not be tested on that track. There are few traps and therefore little opportunity to develop that skill. The impeccable greens do not have a lot of undulations (the breaks are subtle). As a result, you will not see the variety of putts that you might on some other tracks. Lastly, for most tee shots the landing areas are generous. Hence, you are not as likely to get that knot in the pit of your stomach that really focuses ones attention. All of that said, this is still an enjoyable course to play.
    Last edited by mpare; 07-10-2004 at 01:56 PM.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    mpare: you made a few good points..however, i found the back nine to be quite the test off the tee. if your spraying the ball, you can be easily 5 or more over if your a 3 handicap ..also, it'll be 36 holes in a few more years and the new nines will be a greater test of golf!!

7 Iron owenb is on a distinguished road owenb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I still can't believe someone used the words "Rideau Glen" and "gem" in the same sentence.
    I know..but have you been there yet this year? I have never seen it like this before either. We were so surprised when we went for a tournament. The big laugh though was the old 8th hole..used to be about 170 yard par 3..due to reshaping of the course..it is now 50 yards long. We were laughing so much that no one made the green. lol

But well worth the trip to see how much they have improved it. The cost this year was $350 I believe for a membership...yes it's only 9 holes but well maintained now.

Thread Information