1 6.25%
  • Peyton Manning

2 12.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who's THE man?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

"The Man"

Difficult, IMHO, to compare team players (soccer, football) to individual players (tennis, golf). No question the Colts would not be where they are without Manning, and perhaps the same for the soccer players (although up to now I never heard of him). If you to vote based on "impact" then I'd (reluctantly) have to go with Tiger. My knowledge of tennis is only slightly better than soccer but although Federer has dominated, what else has he done for tennis? Tiger, I believe has given back more (for both golf and society) than almost any other sports figure that I can think of in my lifetime (1950). Perhaps that's why his indiscretions have been so widely reported. The higher they climb, the farther they fall. I would agree that as far as a tennis champ, Federer is far and away the most fit, with soccer a distant second.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    On another note, I'm always so impressed that, even with all the physical abuse he takes on the field, I've never seen him embelish or go down prematurely....he works to play through tackles, rather than go down and take the foul. If we could get a whole generation of kids emulating his style of play, soccer would be rid of this horrible diving crap for good.
    I agree with this 100%. There is no doubt that Messi is an absolute class act, I just think Ronaldo can bring a bit more of a wow factor....I would faint with joy if either of them signed for West Ham Utd!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    An interesting poll
    I'll go with Federer , even though i don't follow tennis ,he's brilliant in his sport , with Tiger a very close second.
    I think there's a big difference from individual sports to team sports
    I'm a soccer fan, i agree that Messi is arguably the best footballer in the world this year , but his skills are high-lighted by the great players around him . Put him ,Ronaldo , Ovechkin , or any other brilliant team player in a poor team and although they may be the best on their team , they'll struggle against the good teams .
    And how good would Jimmy Johnson be in smaller funded team , with a poorer performing car ?
    Everyone has accomplished brilliant things in their respective sport , but when its one person against everyone else , that's where "the man" gets the job done.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I will say Dennis Bergkamp. He could come out of retirement and dominate.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    ya. dominate like Dan Marino. all stats and no trophy.

did you know the iceman had fear of airplanes? so do i.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_...ational_career
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    That goal he scored against Newcastle where he uses his left foot to flick it over the defender and then slots it home with his right is one of the most sublime goals I've ever seen. My second favourite Dutch player ever after the incomparable Johan Cruyff.

Thread Information