1 6.25%
  • Peyton Manning

2 12.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's THE man?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Who's THE man?

For me, no question it's Federer and I couldn't be bothered to debate it since I don't believe there is even a debate possible.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hmmm, guess I messed up, should have had a 7th wiht OTHER. And could have even added Albert Pujols.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    are we talking the man, now, at this moment, in their sport?

Cuz Federer is the all-time man in tennis, no doubt. But, if I'm looking at their current impact in their sport, this year, and where they sit compared to their competitors, Messi is #1.

Basically I mean, in the best in their sport, who's the best by the biggest margin. I guess. LOL it was an impulsive poll after watching the Australian Open final. He WRECKED Murray.

Well, I guess my answer is....Federer is the best of all time in his sport. But right now, I say Messi is the man, because he dominates his sport like no other...and if my soccer instincts prove right, Messi will be THE MAN at the world cup, even though argentina won't win. Federer is still awesome, but no longer as far ahead of the competition as he was. I think that makes sense?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I voted Jimmie Johnson only because he's done something no one else has ever accomplished in his sport.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I voted Jimmie Johnson only because he's done something no one else has ever accomplished in his sport.

So has Federer.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I have no opinion on this poll, but just love the pronounciation of Albert Pujols' last name
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Hmmm, guess I messed up, should have had a 7th wiht OTHER. And could have even added Albert Pujols.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

So has Federer.
    OK, I should have been more specific. Yes others have won majors in tennis and others have won Nascar championships. But Johnson is the first to win 4 consecutive championships. After looking over Federer's achievements on Wikipedia (2010 Australian Open championship already added), although he has the most lifetime championships (majors), he's not the first to win in consecutive years. And he doesn't even hold consecutive year records, but that's not trying to take anything away from his career achievements.

Just my opinion, that's all.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I have no opinion on this poll, but just love the pronounciation of Albert Pujols' last name
    I'd have to agree on this.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    why is lebron not on this list?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    You have to at least win one championship first.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    can I elect for "none of the above"

As far as 'consecutives', look at Roger's consecutive semi-finals appearances in a grand slam. Uncanny. And he has the record for finals appearances as well. The guy is a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    can I elect for "none of the above"
    Sure, but why and who?

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Because the NBA is a joke. Plus Kevin Durant is just as good.

Because the NBA is a joke. Plus Kevin Durant is just as good.
    lol, you are nuts
    willy

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Peyton got my vote for being the "soon to be " greatest QB of all time, although Federer was a close 2nd with Woods a close 3rd. Good list!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

its federer... anyone who says tiger has to agree that fed has a better record than tiger. anyway, fed should get the athlete of the decade award. hands down
    willy

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Sure, but why and who?

Well...Other than golf and soccer I don't really follow any of the sports listed, and even those two only vaguely. While I think Woods is a phenomonal golfer I just have trouble comparing him to someone like Messi or Federer in these kinds of polls. I think Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player than Messi (although I could never vote for Ronaldo as he is such a tool).

Therefore, if I had to pick someone from the list it would be Federer but I confess to knowing little about tennis. The sportsmen I would vote for are Usain Bolt and Richie McCaw (who I'm sure is a stranger to most)...but thats just my opinion based on the sports I think I know about

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I think Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player than Messi (although I could never vote for Ronaldo as he is such a tool).

t
    Really? Huh. I guess I can see that, though I do disagree. Ronaldo is probably the more explosive player, in terms of pure speed and scoring touch. (although, on those aspects, Rooney is giving him a run for his money this year). I don't think Ronaldo has as many dimensions to his game as Messi though. I feel like Messi has more of an ability to control and dictate the game. He controls the pace of the game, the flow, and has the ability to both create play for others, as well as finish plays himself. I had the privilege of seeing him play in person last year at the Camp Nou, and gained a whole new appreciation for his abilities. Plus, as you mentioned, he's not a tool like Ronaldo.

On another note, I'm always so impressed that, even with all the physical abuse he takes on the field, I've never seen him embelish or go down prematurely....he works to play through tackles, rather than go down and take the foul. If we could get a whole generation of kids emulating his style of play, soccer would be rid of this horrible diving crap for good.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    from an ex-tennis fan's perspective, men's tennis needs a rule change. they should only allow the men to serve once. this would force them to slow down their first serves and create more rallies. imagine if golfers had two chances to hit a driver.... that's how ridiculous it is for tennis players to have 2 serves. the first is all about raw power, the second is about placement and accuracy. it's not right.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Look at what tennis playesrs are trying to hit, compared to the space a drive can land without penalty. Couldn't disagree with you more about the serving.

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    from an ex-tennis fan's perspective, men's tennis needs a rule change. they should only allow the men to serve once. this would force them to slow down their first serves and create more rallies. imagine if golfers had two chances to hit a driver.... that's how ridiculous it is for tennis players to have 2 serves. the first is all about raw power, the second is about placement and accuracy. it's not right.
    Voted for Federer. Mind boggling to think that anyone could dominate a sport the way he has. Down side is that tennis doesn't have the fan base.

Agree that something has to change in tennis. I've been thinking for years they have to do away with the let on the first service. These guys are too powerful and watching them blow serves by one another is pretty boring.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I voted for Federer, but once Tiger has won his 19th major, he will be The Man. There is nobody who has had more of an impact on a sport than Tiger.

P.S. Isn't it nice right now when watching a golf tourney on t.v. you hardly hear Tiger's name at all? lol. I love it!

Look at what tennis playesrs are trying to hit, compared to the space a drive can land without penalty. Couldn't disagree with you more about the serving.
    do you realize how close a tennis player serves to the net? you could take two leaps and reach the net. and my point isn't about tennis players' accuracy. it's the fact that a tall tennis player can blast his serve anywhere on the court and win the point because the oppenent has no chance of seeing the ball, let alone returning it. You have to be NEO to return a Roddick 1st serve.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    do you realize how close a tennis player serves to the net? you could take two leaps and reach the net. and my point isn't about tennis players' accuracy. it's the fact that a tall tennis player can blast his serve anywhere on the court and win the point because the oppenent has no chance of seeing the ball, let alone returning it. You have to be NEO to return a Roddick 1st serve.
    But in the end, the Australian Open final had players with (if I'm mistaken, please say so) 11 and 10 aces, respectively. That stat doesn't indicate to me that the power player has a distinct advantage (at Wimbledon, it's a little different story).

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    But in the end, the Australian Open final had players with (if I'm mistaken, please say so) 11 and 10 aces, respectively. That stat doesn't indicate to me that the power player has a distinct advantage (at Wimbledon, it's a little different story).
    many times a player doesn't get an ace, but his serve is so powerful that the point is over. for example, the returner gets his racket on the ball but it either goes into the net, the crowd, or he hits such a weak return that all the server has to do is crush it again for a winner. my point is that the sheer power of today's first serves (technology + tall powerful athletes) has made a beautiful sport ugly. I love watching baseline players like Nadal and Agassi. I hate serve and volley players, probably because i'm a short baseline player myself.

if i was a tall tennis player with a cannon first serve, more often than not i'd aim the serve down the middle and handcuff my opponent. how do you return a 130 mph going straight at your body without guessing?

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Other then Golf and Tennis the repective sports the other Atheltes are in their teammates make to much diffence in the outcome of winning that I cant really say they are the MAN.

With so much emphasis on every single shot in golf I give the nod to tiger. Also I think its harder to be more cosistent in the game of golf as it is to be in Tennis. In a 4 day tourny Tiger tee's it up against the "Best" in his sport every single day, but the way Tennis is set up with seeding Federer only has top notch players the last couple matches. If Federer played every match against the top 10 in the world I dont think he would come close to having the amount of slams he does now.

Thread Information